Where do I Stand?

I recently sold a fully traceable item on ebay.  Most of my items are date critical delivery as they are driven by an event. Express Post was available but not selected and rightly so as  In this case the buyer correctly selected regular post Brisbane to Melbourne. Australia Post then took over two weeks to deliver the parcel. As the date for the event has passed the buyer refused delivery of the item and has told Aus Post to send it back and asked for a full refund including freight. The tracking backs this up 100%.  At no point did they contact to say not received etc. so it could be escalated with aus post ( if there is any point) I am not unreasonable and am happy to refund the product cost back to the buyer once its back as its not their fault Aus Post were slack, and I am also chasing a refund from Aus Post for the sloppy delivery. If I get one I will give it to the buyer. When this item arrives back with me if the buyer puts in a claim ( they have not entered the returns process formally they only have a feedback score of 2 and probably dont understand it all ) what will happen? Will I be slugged with the entire cost of sale and then get slugged for the cost of an Australia Post return as well caused by their own ineptitude?!

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Where do I Stand?

I agree, I've had the best results, and the quickest, when lodging a complaint on their Facebook page. They do require you to open a formal complaint on their help page, they will provide the link. There is a character limit on that complaint page, but once they have replied I've always had a reply within a few hours, you can then reply via the identical email that appears in your inbox. You can also attach any documents/evidence you have to the reply email.

I think they respond so well on their facebook page because they don't like being shamed publicly. I think the trick is to remain calm when writing the message and not go in guns blazing (as tempting as it is at times!). I've had equally good results with other large organisations.

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

If it was sent registered post you should be covered if the item is lost. But I thought only letters can get sent Registered these days.

From AP website

Make sure it arrives in safe hands

With Registered Post you get:

Proof of posting (when lodged over the counter at a Post Office)
Proof of receipt, with a signature on delivery and online tracking#
Compensation for loss or damage - up to $100 included (for higher coverage, add Extra Cover)
A discount when you buy envelopes in bulk or a roll of 50 labels

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Slightly different but get fed up with AP's lack of service.

lodged a parcel 6/6 Melb to Lindfield NSW, estimated delivery 9/6......delivered 23/6. Lodged a complaint, asked for postage refund as I refunded postage to my buyer because of the **bleep** service....AP's response, but we delivered your parcel!!

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

"You can even send letters with a courier if you want to pay their asking price."

Yes you can, at the price of their cheapest parcel. Which is of course nowhere near $1 because no-one is allowed to compete with the Australian Postal Corporation. Apparently the Australian Government and its entities are exempt from anti-competition laws...

From the ACCC website:
"Certain business practices that limit or prevent competition are against the law. It is important that businesses understand their rights and obligations at all times and, in particular, when dealing with wholesalers, suppliers and other businesses."

Which is exactly what the APC is doing, by making it illegal to start up a postal business in this country unless letters cost significantly more than the base rate of one stamp (currently $1.00 as of 2016, for those who may read this ten years down the track).
Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

What it is in a nutshell, is a complete lack of accountability on the part of AP.

WE are paying AP to perform a service. A contract.

If they fail to deliver (pardon the pun), there is no feeling of responsability on their part.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

Still no return open. E-mailed my AUs Post account manager last thursday expressing my disatisifaction and asking for various refunds on parcels where they have ballsed up the delivery. Unsurprisingly no reply from him as he's beyond useless at anything that involves proactivity and good customer service. He will probably tell me to use insurance. - yes their over priced rubbish insurance - that one!

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

If you get no luck, if you've got a Facebook account, lodge a complaint on their page. It's surprising how quickly they respond on there and you usually get good results. They don't like being shamed publicly, so tend to fix the problem.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Ah yes, the insurance angle.

Lets say you have a "mower man" who smashes your garden gnome. You would expect him to replace it and claim it on HIS insurance.

His negligence broke it and he should replace it. Fair enough.

Imagine him turning around and saying there is no insurance and he will not replace it because you did not pay HIM to insure himself against his own actions.

Now take this to AP. They have failed in THEIR duty/contract to deliver your mail but, basically, you are required to insure THEM against their own incompetance/failure. AP should be the ones to insure themselves at no cost to you.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

they **bleep**ed it up so they need to fix it up.

Isnt that how life works?

Unless you have a lot of money it does.

Rant over.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply