Who Pays Postage when Customer calims Item did not live up to its expectations?

Hope someone can help with my query.

I refunded the $16 to customer as i dont want her hassling me or worst still leaving me negative feedback.

If this happens in future i want to know who is liable for return of item me or customer?

In the first instance i told her i would pay the $16 postage for her to return item, but then i read something which indicated that im not responsible for paying the $16 postage fee

Below is the email she sent me:

I told you that they are no good to me as I couldn't use them in my Microwave Oven, as it was a 1200 Watt.
The instructions said only to use in a 700 to 900 Watt Microwave Oven. I didn't say they damaged.
They are in the original boxes that they came in.
I took you at you word that you would pay the return postage like you said you would, obviously your word isn't good enough.
In the listing it says Power: 1500W but on the instruction sheet that comes with item is totally different. This needs to address.
That is why I complained as it very different and a lot of people go of the User Manual's and Instructions on how to use any Item.
You seller's need to get your act together and give out the right information and instructions so people aren't left in the dark or guessing how to use them like I was. I was looking forward to using them but it was all so unclear in the Instructions that came with the product.

I emailed her back to advise that I have refunded her the $16 but i have not heard from her.   I think she's really angry at me and will report me or leave me negative feedback.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Have they actually opened a case for INR or just messaged you?

Either way, if they don't post it back, you won't be refunding them.

Do not refund unless you get the item back in the same condition it was sent.

Keep all messages, and if they give you a negative, ask ebay to remove it.

The ball is in their court now.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

The woman is a moron.  She couldnt even get her account number correct so that i could refund her lousy 16 bucks back.

Made sure I got  the bundle back before issuing her with the refund.

I spoke with ebay regarding this matter and they assured me that, NO I DONT have to pay the postage.

The only reason I refunded her was because I didnt want her leaving me negative feedback

Ebay assured me that if she does leave negative feedback that they will intervene and will remove it.  In the meantime I have blocked the stupid woman.  No amount of money is worth dealing with customers like her

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If the product is not as described (for example the power needed is not 1500W) it is the seller who usually pays for return postage (I think usually sellers issue a return label in such cases).

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

@francapossum127,

Refunds/returns are very straightforward on eBay.

If the item is not as described, you as the seller are responsible for return postage and full refund to the buyer if you want the item returned. If it's a cheap item, it may not be worth your receiving back the item.

You must make sure that the item is correctly listed. If there's a discrepancy between the instruction sheet/manual and the listing, it is you as the seller who must provide a remedy. (Best to avoid issues of that sort, of course.)

As you have provided the buyer with a full refund without requiring the return of the item, you can only follow that up by saying something along the lines of:

"Dear [buyer],

Thank you for contacting us about the issue you have encountered with item #xxxx which you purchased. I'm so sorry that the instruction sheet gave conflicting information. We want our buyers to be completely satisfied when purchasing from us, and take full responsibility for any errors.

We have provided you with a full refund and do not require that you return the item to us.

Our best wishes for your future purchases.

Best regards,

[seller]"

But if you've already contacted the buyer more than once after refunding, I'd give any further communication a miss if I were you. Bombarding a buyer with communications (even if it's just that the buyer feels bombarded) is more likely to result in an annoyed reaction than if you communication once, with a resolution, and without any sense of blaming the buyer.

DISCLOSURE: I'm a buyer only. I do not sell on eBay.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Have they actually opened a case for INR or just messaged you?

Either way, if they don't post it back, you won't be refunding them.

Do not refund unless you get the item back in the same condition it was sent.

Keep all messages, and if they give you a negative, ask ebay to remove it.

The ball is in their court now.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

As everyone has already said….. but I want to add this, regarding the product listing. 😉

I am making assumptions that the item in question is the micro max bundle.  (It’s the only microwave item you’ve sold in the last month, that I can see) 

I can not find any reference to the required microwave wattage in your listing at all.

So when the buyer stated that *In the listing it says Power: 1500W* She is actually not right.

Also, microwaves have a *Power* button, where you can change the power output on them.  Equivalent to High, Medium, Low power.

All she had to do was change it when she used it, so when she said she could not use it, well, she was wrong! 

……….And if you’re going to sell items like this, then you should know your product!!!! 

PLUS…if it only cost $11.70 express post to send it to her, why is she asking for $16 to return it? 

Lastly…. Put her on your blocked bidders list! 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Jane, the 1500w was listed in the specifics.

Her microwave is a lower wattage, so lowering the power output is not helpful.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Jane, the 1500w was listed in the specifics.

oopss…. So it was. I only read the item description. Had to go looking to find it.  
Cheers.

Her microwave is a lower wattage, so lowering the power output is not helpful.

Her microwave is 1200W.

Item instructions suggest 700-900W. (Apparently).
Changing the Power setting on any microwave will work. This buyer only needed to go to Setting 4 or 5 setting, as a maximum heat temp. 

https://youtu.be/ZqbGvdeK2iQ

How to do change the power settings on your microwave 😉

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Last week, my 30 yo granddaughter and her hubby told me they didn't know you could change the power on the microwave!!

Full power all the way apparently.   Sheesh

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

I think I'll now put mine up on eBay.

It sits in the ironing room - don't know how to do anything with it other than defrost the doggy chicken - when necessary - and that's been years.

It can go under ' vintage ' - it belonged to my mother who passed away in 1997 - last century - and I'm not sure how long she had it. 

Item specifics - easy peasy - old - wattage - no clue whatsoever - does it work - I think so. 

But - do know it's a - Sharp Carousel. 😁

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

What's a microwave?

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply