Why are big sellers allowed to have their contact details?

I recently attempted to list items with my email address attached, but the eBay knocked me back saying I could not have my email address or phone number included in the listing. Go have a look at any major eBay seller and you will find either a phone number, email address or both.

This supports what I have been saying for the past 10 years or so – eBay supports the major sellers. Their listings get priority in searches when looking for an item and they get better deals on listing and selling fees.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

They only have priority if you a mug enough to use 'best' match as your search default.

They have deals with eBay that allow it, as they are using eBay as an advertising, rather than selling, platform.

It used to be (not sure if it still is) that anchor store owners could put those details in their listings. As you don't appear to have any sort of store, why do you think you would or should get the same deals as those paying guaranteed money up front?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Maybe if you paid $549.95 per month you could put your details in.

Sound fair to you?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Actually . . . let me think . . .  NO !

Regardless whether you pay $zero per month or $549.95 per month, it is against eBay policy.

Sound fair to you?

@imastawka wrote:

Maybe if you paid $549.95 per month you could put your details in.

Sound fair to you?

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe because it is against eBay policy, perhaps? Read the rules - no one is exempt, well so eBay keep telling me

@davewil1964 wrote:

They only have priority if you a mug enough to use 'best' match as your search default.

They have deals with eBay that allow it, as they are using eBay as an advertising, rather than selling, platform.

It used to be (not sure if it still is) that anchor store owners could put those details in their listings. As you don't appear to have any sort of store, why do you think you would or should get the same deals as those paying guaranteed money up front?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Anchor stores could always do it, as stawks said.

As you noted, if you pay the bucks to eBay for one, you get something in return. As you don't pay the bucks...

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

It has nothing to do with the big bucks, it is an eBay listing rule. Let me quote you what eBay has just sent me, when I said I will hide my contact details in photos like other sellers do and not in the listing:

“Thank you for getting back to us about your concern.

Placing your phone number, address and email address will be be removed when our listing practices team and system filters would be able to spot the said information. Aside from our system filters, we have our listing practices team who constantly review items in a daily basis.

Please do not follow other listings since their sellers were not the ones who set the listing policy and guidelines, eBay does. If you see other sellers not following our listing policy and their listings are still up and actively running for sale, then please do not follow them. Soon enough their listings will be removed too and sanctions will also be given. Seeing similar items listed actively in eBay does not mean that they are allowed.

Please learn from the notification that we have sent for you so that your violations will not occur again and your selling account will not be restricted.

If you see another questionable listing, please report it to us by using the 'Report item' link on the bottom right side of the listing.

We appreciate your time bringing this to our attention and help us in making eBay a safe place to buy and sell.

@davewil1964 wrote:

Anchor stores could always do it, as stawks said.

As you noted, if you pay the bucks to eBay for one, you get something in return. As you don't pay the bucks...

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Because you don't have an anchor store (or any store) and are not a big box retailer, so the rules that apply are the ones that apply to the rest of us in the same position.

The rules are different for the others mentioned. As you are not qualified in this regard, eBay will not tell you any different. Also note that the person who contacted you is a (probably) underpaid Philipino, reading from a cheatsheet.

Please also advise ONE business that doesn't do deals for regular or high value customers. It is the rule rather than the exception. And I doubt anybody would claim eBay is exceptional.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

It wasn't actually the store level that determined whether or not a seller could have contact details in a listing, in fact it wasn't that long ago all sellers were allowed to include limited details, including an email address.

Additional details could be included if the account was registered as a business, such as a phone number. 

However, eBay's paranoia has put an end to that, and the policy should* now be in effect and applied across the board... I know of sellers who have had thousands of listings ended  because they had a small percentage of them that hadn't been picked up and the details removed. 

*Should, but probably never will be. 

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

"However, eBay's paranoia has put an end to that, and the policy should* now be in effect and applied across the board"

Paranoia has nothing to do with it. eBay doesn't want a potential buyer to contact the seller and do eBay out of their 10% selling commission and their 3% PayPal fees.

Oddly enough though, after being given a guarantee by eBay that all sellers will have to remove contact details (i.e. phone number, email address, physical address and web link), 4 weeks on and the major sellers still have these contact details in their listings.

Pray tell where is the fairness - and for the records, I am a registered business with an ABN

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply