Why are eBay entitled to charge us the 3.5% that normally went to paypal ?

Why are eBay entitled to charge us the 3.5% that normally went to paypal ?-

As It appears paypal is no longer used . The 3.5 % wasn't such a bad deal with paypal as it provided the rapid safe  exchange of money from buyer to seller. Instead what we have now is a delay in payment for 5 days in my case until we see the money just so eBay can get their pound of flesh straight away which is now 13.5% instead of 10% . And the buyer has to wait too because discerning sellers want to see payment in their pockets before releasing goods despite eBay's claim "the buyer SAYS he has paid so you can go ahead and ship the goods. " 

So the whole process takes  about 5 days rather than a few minutes just so eBay can get their final fee of now 13.5% rather than the 10%, straight away.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I guess the payment processor (Adyen) also wants to be paid for their services.

"discerning sellers' ship the item when eBay says it is ok to do so.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

The overall cost to you as a seller is the same, and mow the payment go to Ayden in one seamless transaction.

Generally payment is received within a day.

Plus the discerning seller would ship immediately as they know that the purchaser has paid, and Ebay has the money, so it's not as if the seller hasnt paid.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Isnt this just a repeat of the same complaint you made on here a couple of days ago.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@missbelz15 wrote:

And the buyer has to wait too because discerning sellers want to see payment in their pockets before releasing goods despite eBay's claim "the buyer SAYS he has paid so you can go ahead and ship the goods. " 

You are selling high-end goods and it looks as through you haven't sold much in the last year, so eBay probably sees you as a "new seller" and will put a hold on your payment for up to 30 days unless you can show by tracking and/or feedback that it was a successful transaction.

I can tell you this, if you were to hold back my item for that amount of time when you have a 2 day handling period, you would almost certainly get a neg for your trouble and that could seriously damage your selling account.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

If you make too many buyers wait because you do not like the rules, the amount of negs you will get from the buyers will see eBay close down your account toot sweet 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

You're still paying the same rate, all that has happened is that Paypal has been replaced by Adyen. 

Combined fees have always been just under 14%, depending on the category you sell in.

If you've just moved over to the new system, there may be a slight delay the first week or so, but it will run like clockwork after that. You can set your payout to be daily, although depending on your bank, THEY may take several days to process it.

You will need to send your items within your handling time or else you will risk a defect on your account.

Making the buyer wait is a risky move.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

All businesses are entitled to charge what they like for the services they render, whether anyone thinks that service is better or worse than a different business provided.

PayPal charged that rate even when it took up to 5 business days to transfer from them to your bank account, and the options to spend it directly from your PayPal account were extremely limited, so most people did transfer it out in order to use it. They even used to charge a fee for that transfer if the amount was below $100 from memory (now they just charge 1% to instantly transfer instead of - typically - within 24 hours).

All of the improvements to service standards over the years were most likely introduced because PayPal needs to be competitive and attractive to both parties (buyers and sellers), eBay doesn't have to have the same kind of competitive edge, but 5 days doesn't really sound like an eBay problem - most payments from buyers are available for transfer one business day after being made, and then most transfers are received within one business day of being sent; which means 2 business days from buyer paying to seller receiving, if payouts are set to daily. Some financial institutions are taking longer to credit the payouts than others, though. 

Which I mention because the fee isn't there for all the things people now like about PayPal over eBay, it's there for the service of actually processing payments between buyers and sellers, a function Adyen now performs on eBay's behalf, and charges a fee for, so it was built into the new FVF.  

To clarify this, buyers can still use PayPal to pay, it's not free for eBay suddenly, to have that money go into their PayPal account (though they likely get a very favourable commercial rate), nor are any of the other payment methods. 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Because           There            Is            still        a       Service       provided   ,      which       has         to       be         paid    for.

It          is            just           no            longer            provided              by               paypal           .

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

My view is that a "discerning" seller waits until they are actually paid rather than rely on eBays advice that "the buyer says he has paid " which I got the other day.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply