Why do some sellers price their hand made items so low, they can't possibly make any profit?

I cannot understand why sellers who make handmade items, such as knitted/crocheted baby clothes and  blankets, set such a low price.  Sometimes the set price is so low, it can only cover the price of the materials.  It is frustrating for those of us who place a  value on the skill and time taken to create our handmade produce, and set prices accordingly.  If a seller does not want to make a profit (goodness know why!), and only view their craft as a 'hobby', they should donate their produce to charity, instead of selling on eBay.  It is not fair on sellers who want to make a decent income from their work.  

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why do some sellers price their hand made items so low, they can't possibly make any profit?

I understand where you're coming from, as I sell handcrafted items myself, on eBay and another site well-known for catering to crafters (not on this ebay ID). Some of my items are relatively quick to make, others take several hours, and - at least on the other site - there are many (many) sellers who do the same craft I do, with prices that are (to me) incredibly low to incredibly high. I'm somewhere in the middle. Smiley LOL

The thing is, though, (I mean, this is just the way I feel about it, because this topic crops up a lot in the circles I'm in, so everything that follows is how I approach the situation, maybe it will help, maybe it won't Smiley Very Happy), no one else owes me the benefit of pricing their items the way I feel is appropriate. If someone wants to, for whatever reason, craft an item then sell it to recoup some of their costs rather than make a profit, I literally have nothing to do or say about it, not in the true sense. Some of them just do it because they enjoy the hobby, and want to have some of their costs met so that they can continue to enjoy the hobby. 

Some price their items from a buyer's perspective, but as if said buyer has 'inside' knowledge. By which I mean, if you go to a craft show, you'll almost always get at least one person who knows (or assumes) what the ball-park material cost of something is, says to themselves "I could make that for $5, charging $25 (or however much) is ridiculous", and some sellers will approach their items the same way (eg "this only cost $X to make, no buyer is going to pay $Y for it"), which of course discounts many other costs involved in selling (as opposed to crafting), as well as things like years of experience, R&D, and various other aspects that can't truly be priced. 

Others just haven't realised the true cost of creating and selling on an ongoing basis - I was actually guilty of these last two approaches at one stage or another, as sometimes my material cost wasn't very high, but I soon realised if my venture was to be viable, I not only had to value my time and skills, but I had to account for what it was really costing me to run the business. 

And therein lies the key to my current approach.... 

I have no interest in comparing myself to other sellers who are making the same kinds of items I am (I soon realised if I did that, then I'm setting myself up for my customers to do it as well). My interest is in distinguishing myself from them, so that the value isn't just focussed on the item. Some buyers might go "this seller has X item for $15, and this seller [i.e. me] has it for $25", but my goal is for people to view my items as different, even if the piece is technically identical to someone else's, and that's achieved via branding (which in turn encompasses a wide range of things, from customer service to names and logos), because - even if I wasn't competing with hobbyists, I'd still be competing with mass-produced cheap stuff and there will always be people who shop on price, you can let those ones go rather than try to convince them to purchase, as they're not your target customer. 

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Why do some sellers price their hand made items so low, they can't possibly make any profit?

I agree.   Some of my handmade items take longer to sell, but I set a price that I consider fair, taking into consideration, time and cost of materials, and stick to it.  It if takes a while to sell, so be it.  If something takes too long,  I would rather give it to a family member or friend, than sell for a pittance to someone who doesn't appreciate the work involved.  

I have noticed, when listing items, that often eBay will suggest a ridiculously low price and or recommend selling at auction with a very low starting price.  A novice seller, lacking confidence and experience, could follow these recommendations at a loss to themselves.  The recommended prices would be calculated on sold prices for supposedly similar items.  However, the items would be similar in name, but not necessarily in size, quality of materials and design. 

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I am not a knitter or quilter etc myself but have bought hand made kids' beanies etc on ebay.

And I have been a seller on ebay & other places (not of hand made items though).

My take on it is this.

You need to make a profit.

No matter how low you price an item, someone will always try to move it lower.

In fact, you are better to go the other way, price your items up a bit.

I'm not sure why, but when I see two similar items that are different prices, I have a tendency to wonder if the dearer item is better quality. To sort of assume it must be.

So if you are selling hand crafted items, I think your ad needs to address that.

You need to mention the quality. Highlight it if you need to.

Make a big deal of the superior materials and workmanship.

Don't worry if someone else is practically giving their stuff away, you don't have to & you shouldn't.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I'm not sure why, but when I see two similar items that are different prices, I have a tendency to wonder if the dearer item is better quality. To sort of assume it must be.

That has always been my philosophy, if something isn't selling up the price, it is then perceived as being of more worth. After a while if it hasn't sold then discount the price so buyers still think they are getting a quality item but at a better price.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I find it difficult to put the true price on handmade items. If you had to factor in the time it takes, no one would pay it as some items might take months to make.

If I have had items on for quite a while I do try and mark them down a bit so they sell.

Maybe the really cheap items you are talking about are things they have had for a long time and just want to get rid of them, or are  really quick and easy to make.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I went to a Garage Sale in my street on the weekend - Just to see what was there. I was looking at some hand crocheted & beautifully made cotton baby blankets in muti hued soft pastel colours. 

The prices were around the $45 mark; which might just have covered the materials cost, & the workmanship was superb. I cannot knit or crochet; & actually needed to buy a Christening gift;  So would have been happy to pay the tagged prices & was trying to pick an item.

Then the yobbo male seller wandered over & said to me "Oh; That's just my Mum's handmade stuff. I think it's overpriced but she wanted me to put them here anyway & I can't sell that stuff" The man lost a sale due to his attitude of dismssal. I walked away empty handed. I have used the word stuff instead of the words he used.

IMO you should price handmade items for those buyers who will truly appreciate the hours of craftsmanship along with the base material cost. Yes there's always someone may think they could make it cheaper; But when are they really going to get around to trying?

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

Then the yobbo male seller wandered over & said to me "Oh; That's just my Mum's handmade stuff. I think it's overpriced but she wanted me to put them here anyway & I can't sell that stuff" The man lost a sale due to his attitude of dismssal. I walked away empty handed. I have used the word stuff instead of the words he used.

What a shame, I guess it never occurs to people like that, that the reason they can't sell it is because they tell everyone it's overpriced "stuff". 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

I went to a Garage Sale in my street on the weekend - Just to see what was there. I was looking at some hand crocheted & beautifully made cotton baby blankets in muti hued soft pastel colours. 

The prices were around the $45 mark; which might just have covered the materials cost, & the workmanship was superb. I cannot knit or crochet; & actually needed to buy a Christening gift;  So would have been happy to pay the tagged prices & was trying to pick an item.

IMO you should price handmade items for those buyers who will truly appreciate the hours of craftsmanship along with the base material cost. Yes there's always someone may think they could make it cheaper; But when are they really going to get around to trying?

Why didn't you buy it and prove him wrong?  If it was his I wouldn't have bought it, but it was his mother's and if you'd bought it you would have been proving to her that her work was worth something.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I wish this was the case a lot of the time, but sadly I feel it isn't as I have spoken to so many people who sell things ultra cheap and asked them why they do that, when they aren't making any money at all, in some cases not even covering their costs. Their reply is 'I just want to get some money back so I can just go and make some more, keeps me busy.' Mmmmmm Others have said 'Oh I just want them to sell quickly'

I don't see the point of going out the door backwards, so I too wait till it sells realizing that those who want things cheap or for nothing are never going to buy the dearer item. I cater for those who will, and I wait. Might take a bit longer but they do sell eventually and they go to someone who appreciates it. (as has been said in previous posts) Plus I would like to think that someone appreciates my work enough to keep it and look after it.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply