Why do you allow people to sell concert tickets on here just 5mins after purchase.

wolbasaur
Community Member

Why are people allowed to sell concert tickets on here 5mins after puchasing them????? We sit on our computers for ages trying to buy tickets to no avail. Then  look on Ebay and find people selling tickets to concerts they had no intention of going to. At rediculous prices!!! Thats scalping!!! If people cant go they should be sold at the cost they paid for them!! Its heartbreaking telling your kids you couldnt get tickets because someone else got them so they can make money.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Why do you allow people to sell concert tickets on here just 5mins after purchase.

@wolbasaur wrote:

Why are people allowed to sell concert tickets on here 5mins after puchasing them????? We sit on our computers for ages trying to buy tickets to no avail. Then  look on Ebay and find people selling tickets to concerts they had no intention of going to. At rediculous prices!!! Thats scalping!!! If people cant go they should be sold at the cost they paid for them!! Its heartbreaking telling your kids you couldnt get tickets because someone else got them so they can make money.

Some people are offered tickets as pre-sale, so get them weeks before others. I often get messages on my phone from my phone carrier offering pre-sale tickets for various things. None ever interest me, but I still get the offer. I have also been offered pre-sale tickets from the ticket places because I have previously bought tickets online.

What makes me laugh is, when someone legitimately can't attend and they decide to try and offload their tickets on eBay, they will list them for auction for the price they paid and the auction ends 3 days after the event!

I do believe that there is a limit someone can sell online regarding tickets whereby it's not considered scalping. If someone buys 10 tickets to a very popular concert that they know will be sold out in 5 minutes, why not capitalise on it?

Maybe to avoid disappointment for your kids (who really won't explode if they don't get to go....truly), don't get their hopes up until you have actually bought tickets.

Oh, it's spelled ridiculous, with an i 😉

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Different rules apply in different states and with different promoters, but the bottom line is that scalpers do it because it works. And they risk their own money because they could get stuck with the tickets if nobody buys them. There are also serious concerns if you buy a ticket privately or from a scalper (as opposed to through the box office) because if they are delivered to you electronically (by email) sometimes they then are not honoured at the door. Even hard copies can be fakes.

Big case for "Buyer beware" I'm afraid.

Marina.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

It costs nothing to register with the major concert promoters. Which gives you access to pre-sales of tickets.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

even if you or your kids think they have a 'right ' to a ticket to some concert or not,

bottom line is....

concert tickets are just a commodity to be bought and sold if and when you can.

no different really to being first in buying the latest crazy game or toy or style of jeans or whatever......

i see it, I buy it, I resell

you want it, you either use your initiave to buy before me or buy from me or someone else.

(within State and Venue Rules of course, but there are very few States that outlaw resales)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I am signed up for Pre-sale offers. I have had 4 computers & 2 pnones going at once to try and get tickets and still miss out. My gripe is if you have no intentions on going don't but ticket because there are people who really want them and can't get them.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

If you have pre-sale offers, then there should be no issues getting tickets. Sometimes when the general sale goes on sale, there are very few left because they have been snapped up in the pre-sale offer. Last I checked, you don't have to fight for pre-sale tickets, they are there for the taking. You need to purchase before they go on general sale or you will miss out.

Anyone has a right to buy whatever tickets they want, regardless of whether they want to attend or not. For popular events, they know tickets will sell quickly, so it's their chance to make a few bucks. Good luck to them, I say. Do you begrudge others from making a profit on things they buy and resell? Do you begrudge the 4 sellers you have purchased items off making a profit on what you bought? They did you know, they did make a profit.

Despite what you think, your kids aren't going to suffer any long term psychological effects if they don't attend a particular event. So they miss out on this one, there will be others that they can attend when you are lucky enough to purchase. That time, there will be other disgruntled parents whinging because their kids missed out and thinking their lives are over. Avoid disappointment, don't tell your kids about a particular event until you have the tickets. Why set them up for disappointment if you are trying to get tickets for a popular event?

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply