Why does AusPost insist on calling their insurance 'Extra Cover' ??

Just checked and found that the old $100 included cover on Registered Post no longer exists

and you need to take out Extra Cover.

So why call it Extra if there is no longer any included cover ?

Dumb.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Registered Post still exists as before according to the website.

https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/registered-post-prepaid-labels-box-of-50-0590637?fm=search-promo...

I presume you mean Signature on Delivery for parcels has no $100 Insurance?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

According to their website $100 insurance is still there.

Compensation for loss or damage - up to $100 included (for higher coverage, add Extra Cover2)

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-within-australia/compare-letter-services/registered-post-letters

Extra cover is for a value of between $100 and $5,000

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-within-australia/optional-extras-domestic#extra

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

What you have said makes sense. I must 'inform' my LPO manager

about the void in his knowledge...unless of course the AusPost

web site hasn't been updated.

That link you provided is for Registered Letters though

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Registered post is only for letters.

Parcels have tracking.

Point out the website to your LPO

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I was reading a page on AP's website yesterday that clearly showed registered letters are covered up to $100 and parcels up to $50. I'd never seen them actually spell out that parcels are covered for $50 before so I was pleasantly surprised. I can't remember how I got to that page though.
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

i'm not sure if anyone has had much experience with lodging claims after taking out "extra cover" for parcels - but they make the process so incredibly tedious that it's almost impossible to get them to pay out. also, there is a clause in there that says that if they don't believe your item is packaged well enough, that they don't have to pay out; yet there is no definition for what "well enough" is. 

basically, the receiver only can lodge a claim and has to have kept all of the packaging materials and take them into a post office - but a lot of post offices are excluded. it can't be an LPO in a lot of cases. my buyer worked 6 days a week and not to mention, had thrown out part of the packaging (as you do) when you receive an item. anyway, he took time off work to go to his post office to take in the packaging he still had and they said they don't take extra cover claims there - he'd have to travel over 100kms to do it as he lived in a small town. it basically was all too hard. 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

it basically was all too hard. 

Agreed - in the US, if something arrives damaged and it clearly happened in transit, the recipient still has to lodge the claim, but they can submit photographic evidence online. I wish AP would implement a similar system. 

If lost in transit, it's a lot simpler as there's really no way for them to go "we dunno where it is, but it's not our fault". 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Maybe this is in response to my query.

auspost.jpg

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

And now also at MyPost web site.

mypost.jpg

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply