Why don't people read the listing details BEFORE bidding?

I just sold a Marquee Canopy.

In my listing, I stated (in capitals) that ONLY the canopy was for sale, not the frame etc.

A woman "watched" my listing.  Then, bid on it, and had seven days to read the listing in full.

She won the auction as she was the only bidder.

I prepared the canopy for pick up.

She did not come and pick up the canopy herself, but instead paid a cab driver to pick it up and deliver it to her place.

When he delivered it to her, she called my (provided) phone number and said that she expected the "whole marquee - poles and all".

She said my listing was "misleading" and that she will definitely leave negative feedback  ๐Ÿ˜ž

I asked her if she read the whole listing?  She said, "no, I didn't, I just liked the picture and assumed it was for the whole marqee".

Then she said she will apply for a refund from PayPal... and hung up on me.

Can she demand a refund when I state in my listing that only the canopy was for sale?

Will I need to dispute this with PayPal?  And, how do I go about doing that?

Any and all advice most appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Why don't people read the listing details BEFORE bidding?

@digital*ghost wrote:

The end of is, no one can guarantee that a volatile word won't get a listing pinged, and I would personally rather get 1000 paper cuts and dip my hands in lemon juice than try to get eBay CS to see / understand / agree a listing was pinged in error - talking to them and the responses you get are more frustrating than the knolwedge that they got something wrong in the first place. 

Ok, maybe not 1000 papercuts, but I'd definitely take a few before seeing CS as the better option. Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

holy moly interesting analogy DG Cat Surprised ... papercuts are bad enough, but the dipping your papercut hands in lemon juice Cat Surprised ... extreme ouchy

Message 51 of 57
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

The end of is, no one can guarantee that a volatile word won't get a listing pinged, and I would personally rather get 1000 paper cuts and dip my hands in lemon juice than try to get eBay CS to see / understand / agree a listing was pinged in error - talking to them and the responses you get are more frustrating than the knolwedge that they got something wrong in the first place. 

Ok, maybe not 1000 papercuts, but I'd definitely take a few before seeing CS as the better option. Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

holy moly interesting analogy DG Cat Surprised ... papercuts are bad enough, but the dipping your papercut hands in lemon juice Cat Surprised ... extreme ouchy

Yes, but not as painful as a conversation with CS Smiley LOL - it's like when I was in primary school and we used to play this game called 'sausage'. No matter what was said to you, you had to reply with only the word sausage, and if you laughed you were out of the game. 

I'm guessing eBay's word is "no", but they have a million different, nonsensical ways to say it - I suppose to make it a bit harder for the reps to stay in the game. (eBay, why did you issue a policy violation when I wasn't doing anything wrong? Reply: purple monkey dishwasher, thanks for choosing eBay - then they turn to their colleagues.... didn't even crack a smile on that one! Woo, world champion of "Sausage!").  

Spoiler
This stuff makes total sense in my head. ._.
Message 52 of 57
Latest reply

Makes sense to me too.

it is always a personal challenge to speak with them, I am sure the recruiters key selection criteria includes "must have exceptional capability to relate to others in a highly irrating and clueless manner"

Message 53 of 57
Latest reply

FINAL UPDATE:

I received a PayPal notice this morning stating that this dispute was "decided in my favour".

The case is now closed.

Now, I just have to get my feedback rating restored by eBay  Smiley Frustrated

THANK YOU for the excellent advice and information. It really is much appreciated.

This is a great community, as so many people have had similar (and worse) experiences and offer valuable support to others.

You guys rock!  Heart

Message 54 of 57
Latest reply

Fantastic Cat Happy 

Just a shame you have to ring eBay again Cat Indifferent but at least it will result in the removal of that unfair negative.

Message 55 of 57
Latest reply

Sounds like a fairly good outcome but may I just vent my spleen too. As a seller I am constantly infuriated by buyers obviously not reading the description but as a buyer I can understand why they wouldn't. Sometimes you click on description and all you get is "as pictured" or "as described" where the h*ll is it described not in the description. Then you get the other mob that mentions nothing of the item but a ten thousand word essay on all the hoops one must jump through to buy the item. These often contain subtle put downs of buyers. Sellers can often be their own worse enemy, just describe the item. If you must have rules, keep them short and sweet. Do not go on ad infinitum about sh*t that we don't care about, what other buyers have done in the past. Who cares, I don't. If you walked in a shop and then were lectured about this,and that, would you still buy what they are selling. I would leave straight away. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Message 56 of 57
Latest reply

Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Message 57 of 57
Latest reply