Why has my traffic and Sales Stopped?

The last 2 weeks have been the worst ever for sales for me. I just checked my traffic report, and at the same time last month I was averaging 10-15 visits per day. All of a sudden traffic has dropped to virtually zero for about 7 days running. I hadnt had even 1 zero day last month.

Dropping prices to less than cost hasnt helped. What is going on? Please help - another week like this and its no longer worth it. Sell off any remaining stock and leave Ebay after 10 years.

😞

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Why has my traffic and Sales Stopped?

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!

Coming from the number 1 mother of assumptions

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Keep up the great work!

Message 61 of 78
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your argument is flawed the last 20 years the land of Oz economical conditions have been bliss. Current household debt is at current record highs, forcing many to spend wisely, and Ebay is becoming to expensive.

For example a Makita 18v blower at bunnings http://www.bunnings.com.au/blower-cordless-makita-18v-skin-only-_p6240160 $66

Ebay average http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmakita+18v+... all above $100.00

Also there are alternative websites that sell similar, cheaper than Ebay. Even the Ebay professional junk sellers are more expensive than the local Sunday markets flogging the same cheap garbage. 

Message 62 of 78
Latest reply

You can not reason with the unreasonable doke.

Most sellers here on ebay think they're the ultimate "entrepreneur"

Message 63 of 78
Latest reply

I have just had a look at your clothes for sale .

very well presented and good quality pictures but for pre-loved items they are rather expensive

I know that the cost of postage is added into it but do buyers take that into account .

I have always wondered how so many sellers have been able to charge these prices and sell anything pre-loved

I find that auction format is the best platform for pre loved , start at the least you would like to sell for and sometimes its amazing how much people are willing to bid

I know Ebay do encourage free postage and one day will enforce it but until they do It doesn't help with pre loved clothing IMO

buyers have an idea of what they wish to pay for an item and postage is secondary as long as postage is fair

you may have been able to sell at these prices in the past but Ebay is losing credability very rapidly and losing it's appeal.

shops are selling out of season clothes new for $2-$3 dollars a piece everywhere

and most of your clothes are summer, and winter is coming up you maybe need to be selling coats, jackets, cardis 

maybe you can take something away from what I have said. I know you are a seasoned seller but the economy is changing

and in order to keep up the momentum you have to change with it .not meaning to be offensive

Message 64 of 78
Latest reply

I saw a Gordon Ramsey show once where he was trying to improve sales to a restaurant that was going down the gurgler

this restaurant had won best pizza of the year 20 years ago and had it proudly displayed on their front window

unfortunately they were so hung up on that award they thought it would carry the business  forever and let the quality slip

and couldn't understand why they had no customers . 

first thing Gordon did was scrape that sign off the window much to their horror

made some dramatic changes and before you knew it the restaurant was full of people again .

Message 65 of 78
Latest reply

Pricing these items accurately is near impossible. I list everything the same and reduce until sold. So yes many are overpriced to start with. Price has nothing to do with visibility. Its best match not lowest price ranking. The price structure is proven to work, as long as they are visible.

It is visibility I am concerned about not whether they are priced right. They all find their right price point.

The issue is everything has suddenly gone from near top to bottom 20% in best match. My market is browsers who will use best match default rather than opt for other searches. That is not slowing of economy or shifting popularity or competitive pricing.

Month ago 40 sales per week trending up, now 1..Thats not trending or popularity, thats pulling down the shutters

Used to do auction format starting at cost, expense of unsold item fees are not covered by what sells.

i used to sell the full range of items, simple fact is cardis etc don't have the value and too high a weight for economic posting. Someone will pay $40 for a dress that is as new one off (as in same style pattern size is unlikely to be offered elsewhere) where new price can be in the hundreds, or no longer available. Tops, cardies, pants etc and run of the mill can be bought new for little. seasonal stuff you invariably get left with at the end of the season. dresses dont go completely out of season the same.

Most of my stuff is new clearance stock, but not having tags i dont claim as new, as I can't guarantee they are perfect.

-------------------------------

Message 66 of 78
Latest reply

@opmania wrote:

I saw a Gordon Ramsey show once where he was trying to improve sales to a restaurant that was going down the gurgler

this restaurant had won best pizza of the year 20 years ago and had it proudly displayed on their front window

unfortunately they were so hung up on that award they thought it would carry the business  forever and let the quality slip

and couldn't understand why they had no customers . 

first thing Gordon did was scrape that sign off the window much to their horror

made some dramatic changes and before you knew it the restaurant was full of people again .

This is why I ask the question, i consulted "Ramsey/Ebay" and followed all their recommendations to optimize best match results. They admitted to me I have the boxes ticked.  Even ramseys restuarant wont suceed if the council brick up the front windows and hide the menu. I dont do what i did 20 years ago, I know all about being flexible with the times, which is why I seek answers and dont just fall back on the blame the economy excuses. When times get tough you have to be at the top and you have make a fuss until you are.

Anyway I have found a method to bump them up a bit so lets see if that can help

Message 67 of 78
Latest reply

@better-investment-than-shares wrote:

Who posted or even suggested "to take your products out of the shop window and stick them on the back shelf and just sit back and say "not my fault"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so I guess you know what customers want before they know what they want too, lol.

That didn't come out right

"take your products out of the shop window and stick them on the back shelf'..Thats what ebay did

"not my fault"..that shouldn't be the response for accepting it, you should do everything to get them back in the shop window and off the back shelf. Only then can you tell what other issues may be affecting sales. You need a presence in the shop window before you can fiddle around rearranging it.

This is the only issue i am concerned with at moment. get them back and if they dont sell then make changes.

Message 68 of 78
Latest reply

but do you think that most buyers look under best match.

Maybe newbies would.

I know for myself I always change to Item ending soonest

and both of my daughters and a few other young people I know search lowest price first including postage

try that and have a look at the amount of super cheap clothes you can get and this is what you are competing with

I agree it does seem like ebay is stiffling sellers but not all the time

now and again  sounds wierd but I go and sit in a shopping mall were there's loads of people ,have a coffee and check out what everyone's wearing {probably look like a weirdo} but it does give you an insight into what is in fashion right now

and a lot of things that are in fashion at any time were also in fashion at another time they run around in circles

a bit like these threads if you kmow what I mean lol

Message 69 of 78
Latest reply

"I go and sit in a shopping mall were there's loads of people ,have a coffee and check out what everyone's wearing {probably look like a weirdo} but it does give you an insight into what is in fashion right now"

Not weird at all. But be careful,  you are trying to appeal to a larger demographic on ebay with information gathered at your local shopping mall. Demographics can vary suburb to suburb, city to city, state to state.

Message 70 of 78
Latest reply