Why should a return result in a defect?

Hi,

A customer wants to return a necklace because the colour is not right for her. She marked her reason as not as described - claims it looked  lighter in the photo) So I hit the return button Now I'm up for the return postage cost and a defect. What is the best way to deal with this? As I think it's really just  a change of mind purchase.

In theory anybody can say it's not as described.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You won't get a defect for agreeing to a return. You will see it below the defect area on your dashboard but it is only there for informaton purposes and will not count against you. That's not to say that eBay won;t change the rules down the track, but for right now that is how it works.
Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks Penny for your help.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes unfortunately its true that anybody can "say" its not a described.

Once they do this ebay tend to side with the buyer.

So unless you have 100% watertight descriptions and can prove it was indeed as described then you are likely to lose the case anyway.

In the case you describe that the colour was not as pictured, even tho its the buyer's opinion, I think you would have trouble with this one.

So very little choice really but to cop it sweet, refund upon return and move on.

You can always block the buyer so they cannot do it to you again.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I have easy any reason returns, it reduces incidences of not as described return requests

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice.

I always learn something new and useful when I come here.

Good idea to direct the buyer away from the return item link. "Please use contact seller link to arrange returns rather than return item link"

Retro Girl

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

First off, it helps if you stay on the one ID when you have a thread active. It can get confusing otherwise!

I have a clause in my listings that says colours may vary due to different monitor settings. I put that because I can see the same item showing a different colour between my laptop and my phone. A lot of my things, colour is important, so I don't want someone to think I'm enhancing photos to try and deceive them. I also mention whether the photo was taken with a flash or not because that can also affect the colour a bit. I'm a nong when it comes to photo editing, so have to rely on getting accurate photos that don't need editing.

When I send an invoice, I always include a message saying if for any reason you are unhappy with the purchase, don't hesitate to contact me using the ask about my item or I want to contact the seller option. So far that has worked! I've only had a handful of problems and so far, everyone has sent a message that way. One buyer wanted to return the item. No problems, send it back and I'll give a full refund. It arrived back 2 days later and they got their refund. It was a change of mind and I was happy to accommodate because I knew I'd have no trouble reselling it. They left me great feedback.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply