Encouraging More Buyers to Leave Feedback....

I have read various posts on "Feedback" and understand that leaving it is voluntary and that buyers could feel pestered if asked for it.

As a small hobby seller I would like to maximise the positives as one negative can take me to 99.5%...as it did last year.....leaving me a little anxious about having a second problem in that same 12mths......plus I do like the warm and fuzzies - call me needy!. (About two thirds of my buyers leave me feedback and several others email me to say they are happy and all is good but do not leave formal feedback).

Up until last week I included the following 'note to buyer' on the packing slip:- "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems. Otherwise, I would appreciate you leaving me a positive Feedback to confirm that all is well. Regards, Julie"

I have just updated it to:- "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems. Otherwise, I would very much appreciate you leaving me a positive Feedback to confirm that all is well - positive Feedback is also helpful to me in improving my ebay seller rating and useful in informing others as to what they might expect from me. Regards, Julie."

Would a few of you please give me "feedback" on my updated note - is it likely to encourage people? or could it it be offputting to some?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Just my feedback opinion Smiley Happy  I actually preferred your original note - it is short and sweet.

The new note could stir the pot with any buyer feeling nasty or vindictive or a little less than 100% happy - improving my ebay seller rating - let's face it, there some 'strange' people out there.

Of course now there is also the concern of buyers answering 'NO' to eBay's question regarding delivery within their often ridiculous estimated delivery dates, so a bit like robinson, if they're inclined to answer no, it's better they don't leave feedback at all.  Many buyers don't want to lie and I'm sure very few realise a 'NO' answer will result in a defect.

I am often amused at the number of buyers who send a lovely message of appreciation and don't leave Feedback, but the personal message beats feedback every time Smiley Happy  (And yes, I do also like the warmth of heartfelt feedback too - somehow helps make you feel it IS all worthwhile - just to know someone is happy  ! Smiley Embarassed)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

If it is just a printed note you pop in with the items, then it's good as many sellers do the same and seems more like a professional standard procedure rather than a hand written plea.

My suggestion -  

Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems before leaving feedback so I can resolve the issue. I appreciate you leaving me positive Feedback to confirm the item/s arrived and in good order. Regards, Julie"

image host

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

I personally avoid all mention of feedback in communications with buyers, I feel like the best method is to keep the focus on your product and service, because no matter how nicely it's worded, encouraging feedback is still a bit of a niggle to do something a lot of people feel like is a chore. 

It's an impressions thing, really, sometimes in really subtle ways - think about it this way (I'll keep running with the restaurant theme for my analogies today Smiley LOL ), when a waiter provides you with amazing service, they were friendly, efficient and when they brought your food to the table, most simply leave it at "enjoy your meal, sing out if I can do anything else", and you tend to just think about how great the service was, might even mention it on Facebook or to friends / co-workers.

If, on the other hand, they put your plate in front of you and said "please give us a good review on [some website]", it can give the impression the staff us less focused on providing great service and more on getting good reviews. And if they went so far as to say "please give us a good review, we need a higher score!", it would be a bit of a dampener on the experience because it can add an element of obligation (or guilt) to it. 

I can guarantee you that if/when someone mentions the restaurant to another person, any mention of the request for a review will be prefaced with a "but", as in "great food and service, but...."

All this is just an extended way for me to say, I'd leave it at "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems". 

I know it can seem counter-intuitive or counter-productive not to have a reminder, but all I can tell you is I never ever mention FB in any context, anywhere (at best, I'll answer a direct question from a buyer, but often even when they mention it in a message to me, I skip right over that and just address the main issues), I do leave it for buyers once payment is made, though, and about 70% of buyers are currently leaving it in return. 

Message 14 of 38
Latest reply

I personally wouldn't mind if I got a little note such as your first one in with my purchase.

I usually leave feedback anyway though.

The second one, I don't know, I would steer clear of the last sentence. As someone else said, it might give a disgruntled buyer ideas.

What I would never do as a seller though is send an email weeks after a sale, asking someone to leave feedback. A note in with a purchase, no hassle. A follow up email though would be annoying, especially if I had chosen not to give feedback as a kindness to avoid neg or neutral, and I've done that a couple of times.

Message 16 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Personnally i don't want buyers to leave me feedback, no feedback less defects.Smiley Happy

I find it to be rude and desperate to ask for anyone to leave me feedback, but in saying that we are all different.

Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

Just my feedback opinion Smiley Happy  I actually preferred your original note - it is short and sweet.

The new note could stir the pot with any buyer feeling nasty or vindictive or a little less than 100% happy - improving my ebay seller rating - let's face it, there some 'strange' people out there.

Of course now there is also the concern of buyers answering 'NO' to eBay's question regarding delivery within their often ridiculous estimated delivery dates, so a bit like robinson, if they're inclined to answer no, it's better they don't leave feedback at all.  Many buyers don't want to lie and I'm sure very few realise a 'NO' answer will result in a defect.

I am often amused at the number of buyers who send a lovely message of appreciation and don't leave Feedback, but the personal message beats feedback every time Smiley Happy  (And yes, I do also like the warmth of heartfelt feedback too - somehow helps make you feel it IS all worthwhile - just to know someone is happy  ! Smiley Embarassed)

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

Personnally i don't want buyers to leave me feedback, no feedback less defects.Smiley Happy

I find it to be rude and desperate to ask for anyone to leave me feedback, but in saying that we are all different.

Do you read your feedback Robinson?

Someone wants to revise theirs and you have ignored them for 3 weeks

(No bullying here, though)

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

Yes i did, thank you very much

I have ignored them have i?

So sending a feed back revision is ignoring them, ha ha oh dear, mate you really have no idea.

I'll look after my business i'd suggest you do the same. ha ha ha

Plenty of bullying against new members

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

Here's how i ignore my customers.

Dear robinsonmarineparts,
wexxxxxxxxx has received your request to revise your original Feedback for A Brand New Set x 2 Evinrude Johnson Tilt & Trim Relay 1982-thru-2005 # 584416 (371078354217).
Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

slow clap.gif   Maybe they want to revise it to a neg?

Just sayin' 

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

You have goone to far now.

Take care and good luck.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

If it is just a printed note you pop in with the items, then it's good as many sellers do the same and seems more like a professional standard procedure rather than a hand written plea.

My suggestion -  

Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems before leaving feedback so I can resolve the issue. I appreciate you leaving me positive Feedback to confirm the item/s arrived and in good order. Regards, Julie"

image host
Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

You really are not very clever, i gave him the opportunity to change it to WHATEVER he wanted,

And you say " Maybe they want to revise it to a neg?

Just sayin' 

Why would you say such a stupid thing?

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply