Encouraging More Buyers to Leave Feedback....

I have read various posts on "Feedback" and understand that leaving it is voluntary and that buyers could feel pestered if asked for it.

As a small hobby seller I would like to maximise the positives as one negative can take me to 99.5%...as it did last year.....leaving me a little anxious about having a second problem in that same 12mths......plus I do like the warm and fuzzies - call me needy!. (About two thirds of my buyers leave me feedback and several others email me to say they are happy and all is good but do not leave formal feedback).

Up until last week I included the following 'note to buyer' on the packing slip:- "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems. Otherwise, I would appreciate you leaving me a positive Feedback to confirm that all is well. Regards, Julie"

I have just updated it to:- "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems. Otherwise, I would very much appreciate you leaving me a positive Feedback to confirm that all is well - positive Feedback is also helpful to me in improving my ebay seller rating and useful in informing others as to what they might expect from me. Regards, Julie."

Would a few of you please give me "feedback" on my updated note - is it likely to encourage people? or could it it be offputting to some?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Encouraging More Buyers to Leave Feedback....

I don't put notes in my parcels, but when I send an invoice, I include that if there are any problems whatsoever, don't hesitate to contact me using the ask about using my item option. If a buyers feedback left for others suggests that they get upset if there is no communication from the seller, I'll send them a message after posting, giving them the tracking number and then say that if there are any issues at all with the transaction, please contact me by replying to this message.

So far, that seems to have worked as the handful of issues I have had, they have all contacted me using that option.

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@englishrosegardens wrote:

If I get a note saying to contact a seller if there are any problems it always makes me wonder whether they expect there to be problems and I'm not as comfortable as I would have been if they hadn't said it.  I have confidence in my products and I don't expect problems so I don't like to create that sort of expectation with my buyers.  There are probably some products that it might be appropriate to say it, but generally I'd expect things to be checked before I buy them.

In the same way I'm always wary of sellers who make a point of saying in their descriptions saying problems can always be sorted - makes me wonder whether they just list as quickly as possible and sort problems later (if buyers bother asking).  I've been watching one seller who's got mistakes galore in her listings and she repeats the bit about sorting things amicably two or three times - she'd be better spending her time checking things properly before she lists them than sorting problems afterward.  I run a mile when I see this sort of comment, same as I run a mile when people say "I list to the best of my ability".  I even saw one the other day that said they list as well as their failing eyesight allows.  Smiley Surprised

Do you feel the same way about eBay and PayPal's protection policies? (As in, because eBay plastered the MBG advertising on every page, do you feel like that's undermining their sellers and putting the expectation of problematic transactions on the table before people even start browsing - genuine question, because I personally would prefer eBay highlighted / drew attention to more positive things first).

But... in all reality, and the seller with error-filled listings that you mention aside, most of those kinds of statements on listings, or on invoices, notes etc, are usually intended to inspire confidence, and/or work as defence mechanisms, not lazy failsafes.

By defence mechanism, I mean for every seller who just wants their buyers to know they'll sort out something if an issue occurs, there's at least one who's had a no-contact neg or neut and doesn't know what else to do to get people to at least notify them of a problem so that something can be done about it. For every seller who does get a message from a buyer who notifies them of a problem, but is understanding and/or forgiving about it, there's at least one other seller who gets a message that's all guns blazing and assumes whatever issue occurred was intentional or at least all the seller's fault. It's undertsandable for people to start wondering what the best way is to try and counter that kind of behaviour.

And really, what other options are there, other than to say nothing at all? Lots of businesses have money-back guarantees that cover all of the same kinds of consumer complaints that occur on ebay, but perhaps it's just how they word and/or present it that stops people from assuming the worst when the see it. eg Coles have something like "we're not happy unless you're happy", and offer unconditional money back guarantees, but I certainly don't avoid them because of that, so I wouldn't avoid a seller on ebay who tries to make it clear they'll listen to me if there's a problem. 😉 

Don't worry, I hear what you say!  This applies to mbselections as well.  Sometimes one little word can change the way it comes across, as to whether it inspires confidence or sound plain accusatory!  A lot of sellers have one line about fixing mistakes in the description, which doesn't necessarily come across as helpful, or they have a couple of paragraphs explaining everything, which can sound defensive or like they're accusing everyone of being a nightmare customer.  

As far as sending notes is concerned, I prefer to say what I have to in my listings so that they feel comfortable before they buy from me rather than sending a note afterwards.  This is why I think mbselections' note in the descriptions is done very well.  I just don't feel it's necessary in a lot of cases because feedback will often speak for itself (depending on the product).  I also feel that emailing each and every buyer to say I've sent their item (as well as clicking on Sent) would make them feel I'm more approachable in the event they weren't happy.

If I was going to put something in a note I'd be more likely to say something along the lines of "If you're not happy, tell me; if you are happy, tell others", but I don't because it's designed more as a slogan for a b&m than it is for online selling.  At the small business course where I heard this 20+ years ago they told us that for every person who tells their friends about a store or business they were pleased with, 13 will tell their friends about a business they weren't happy with.  On that basis, we're lucky to get any positive feedback at all!

I'm not sure how I feel about their blatant advertising of the mbg policy, except to say that it's going to make bad buyers worse and it'll probably have no effect at all on the others.  I don't know that they're making it sound like there'll be problems before you get started because any newbies that see it won't realise just how bad some sellers can be.  Anyone who's been around for a while will already know what to expect and doesn't need ebay's advertising to tell them. 

I can understand why a lot of buyers leave bad feedback before contacting a seller.  I've done it myself on occasions where I feel that a seller was so blatant about sending me dodgy goods that I felt it was a waste of time saying anything.  I've always found it interesting that a lot of sellers think they're entitled to a second chance, but the poor buyers never get a second chance when making a decision as to whether to buy from them.  I had an argument with a seller once who listed Hush Puppy shoes but sent me Homy Peds, simply because she hadn't looked at the shoes properly - and she expected me to pay return postage for her mistake.  Her description was woefully inaccurate as well (rusty buckle, worn heels, scuffed toes, all supposed to be "as new") so I didn't trust her to reimburse me once I'd sent them back, and she got upset about my lack of trustt.  I'd been done once so why would I trust her again and outlay even more money?  There were no protections at all in those days.  Ebay is full of sellers like this and I can fully understand why people get tired of having to argue to get what they paid for and eventually give up and just give negs.  As always, the bad ones make it hard for the good ones - both sellers and buyers.

I also feel that feedback was originally designed to warn others what to expect, and it should still be used for that.  If a buyer knew they were going to have to spend a couple of hours of messing around over a $5 purchase to get what they paid for, most wouldn't buy, and the only way they'll ever know is through feedback.  A while back I bought some brand new sewing needles - clear pictures showing brand new packets with brand new needles, but two out of the three needles I received were rusty and it was quite obvious to me as soon as I opened the envelope.  The packet was covered in brown age spots and was nothing like the picture in the listing.  She claimed they were new stock, but they looked ancient.  She saw my neg and offered me more, but the next lot were even worse.  She contacted me after that to see whether I was happy but I couldn't see any point in wasting any more time communicating with her because everything I'd already said had fallen on deaf ears.  Yes, I got my three that I originally paid for but I had to do a lot of messing around to get it and I would never have bought from her had I known what to expect. 

All this messing around is why I've started my own website and will push it as much as I can.  No matter what you do here you can't win.  It seems like people don't want to read descriptions and know what they're getting, but then they blame you if it turns out different to what they expected.  I've spent hours wording my terms and descriptions with the help of a friend but we both know that everyone who reads it will interpret it differently anyway, so is it worth the bother?  Thankfully I sell products that don't attract scammers and I have very few problem buyers, but how long that'll last is anyone's guess.  Ebay breeds mistrust in the way they go about things, and part of that is probably because they've gone all out to discourage communication, even a simple please or thank you.  If you don't communicate you can get an automatic 5 stars but if you do communicate you can end up penalised for it.  That doesn't make sense to me!

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

I totally get what you're saying, and have made some of the same points in days gone by, but only where the situation clearly indicates whatever the issue was, it was deliberate on the seller's behalf, like misleading item condition / descriptions, taking well beyond their handling time to post without a an explanation and so forth.

As a seller, I don't feel entitled to a "second chance", I actually just feel that I haven't been given one if there's a problem and the first I hear about it is via feedback. If I've made a mistake, like many other sellers, it's an honest one, and while I understand anything I can do to fix it after the fact doesn't necessarily mitigate the disappointment and/or inconvenience to the buyer, I absolutely appreciate the opportunity to resolve it as best I can, and if it has the chance to turn a red dot saying something like "wasn't as described" to "misdescribed item, resolved quickly and professionally", then I appreciate that, too, and as you can see, the latter comment is more informative about what can be expected from the seller.

If I still got a neg or neut after contact / resolution, then so be it, but while I might personally resent it 😄 professionally, I understand and accept it if the complaint was genuine. Even when it's not, to tell you the truth - I said as much to a buyer who threatened me with a neg if they didn't get something they were asking for (and weren't entitled to), i.e. "feedback isn't my concern, you're welcome to leave whatever feedback you feel is most appropriate, as I know I have done my best to help resolve this situation". 

In my own TOS, I don't mention FB, but I do have a statement that invites contact if there is an issue, so that I can provide the best solution for buyers, since I usually deal with these issues on a case-by-case basis and have up to four options I can offer (refund, replacement, repair or exchange, not all are possible for every item though, and contact needs to be made so the buyer can advise their preference, anyway). 

My personal opinion when it comes to buyers and feedback, the less said the better. When a buyer receives one of my packages, I don't want anything in there from me that makes them start thinking about the quality of service and / or how they will assess it, I prefer that to only be on their mind if they feel inclined to leave it of their own volition. I also have a bit of an aversion to highlighting negative effects (on me or sellers in general) of less than perfect FB. I understand a lot of sellers just want buyers to be informed because so many never knew that low DSRs etc had a significant impact on accounts, but it never sat well with me, if for no other reason than I likened it to Achilles walking around pointing at his heel. 

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

I appreciate it when sellers have a little note in the listing along the lines of don't hesitate to contact if there is any issue.

It gives a positive feeling to the transaction. If something goes wrong ... the seller will be amenable to talking it over.

That on its own makes me inclined to prioritise leaving them feedback.

I run a mile from the sellers who have a list of buyer requirements and a whopping restocking fee...it leads to expectations on my side of trouble with the seller if there is, anything I might need to speak to them about.

Side note: Having bought from Digi I can say that she is one of the most helpful, lovely people here not just on the boards but as a seller 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Side note: Having bought from Digi I can say that she is one of the most helpful, lovely people here not just on the boards but as a seller 🙂

Smiley Embarassed

(The cheque is in the mail 😄 )

moneymoneymoney ...... muh-neh!

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

I wouldn't even know where to find Digi's stuff. Shame because some of it sounds very interesting!

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

Although I use my buying ID to post, I don't actually mind if (most) people know my selling ID - it's mostly the lurkers and unpredictable fly-by-ers that keep me from using my selling ID to post. (That's not to say I'm openly inviting all and sundry to ask, but there aren't many people, that regularly post, who I'd refuse to tell Smiley LOL 😛 ). 

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

Everyone has a different perception of leaving and receiving feedback and I think it's best to stick to the one which suits you best.

This is mine ....

Once payment is received, I mail the item off, send a message to the effect "Many thanks for your payment, your item has been posted in today's mail".    I then leave feedback (I figure if they've paid, it's appropriate to acknowledge that).   Then  I forget about it.

Cross fingers, I haven't had a parcel undelivered, nor have I had negative feedback (so far).   On the occasion there has been a hiccup, I have negotiated with the buyer and sorted it out.  But, things could be different in the future ....

I've probably 'jinxed' myself after that bragging  🙂  🙂 

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply