Encouraging More Buyers to Leave Feedback....

I have read various posts on "Feedback" and understand that leaving it is voluntary and that buyers could feel pestered if asked for it.

As a small hobby seller I would like to maximise the positives as one negative can take me to 99.5%...as it did last year.....leaving me a little anxious about having a second problem in that same 12mths......plus I do like the warm and fuzzies - call me needy!. (About two thirds of my buyers leave me feedback and several others email me to say they are happy and all is good but do not leave formal feedback).

Up until last week I included the following 'note to buyer' on the packing slip:- "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems. Otherwise, I would appreciate you leaving me a positive Feedback to confirm that all is well. Regards, Julie"

I have just updated it to:- "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems. Otherwise, I would very much appreciate you leaving me a positive Feedback to confirm that all is well - positive Feedback is also helpful to me in improving my ebay seller rating and useful in informing others as to what they might expect from me. Regards, Julie."

Would a few of you please give me "feedback" on my updated note - is it likely to encourage people? or could it it be offputting to some?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Encouraging More Buyers to Leave Feedback....

There can be so many different responses to the feedback issue.  Some have found short polite notes of thanks with the item, encourages more feedback, some say it makes no difference.

Some buyers will get cranky at anything and are even getting annoyed at the many auto-generated emails about the item sent by eBay AND if it's a courier company transporting the item, email updates at every step the item takes to get to you !!

Some buyers are also getting annoyed at the plethora of questions at the point where they want to leave feedback.

Good suggestions and advice here, but in the end, do what you believe is the most professional.

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

Hi Julie,

Like yourself, I am a small personal seller who ALWAYS give feedback to my buyers. Recently, I have found a few buyers, who have NOT returned feedback are reselling the items- always at  higher prices they buyer them for. After contacting one such buyer,I stated that I was aware they were reselling the item I initaillysold them,I stated that I really didn't care(their item now).all I was after was positive feedback I got a HOW DARE YOU THREATENING message!  I suggest if you sell in the future, to let your buyers ,know IN THE LISTING that no feedback will be given until positive feedback is received . I collect and sell designer labels, it is frustrating,particularly when auctioning To see the end result.Which is selling your item at well below cost,seeing the buyer resell(auction) at MUCH higher cost, then receiving NO feedback and  being threatened when making  after sale contact.So let your buyers aware of WHAT YOU WANT(ie positive feeback or communication with seller iI not HAPPY) also you can Block certain buyer if you aren't happy. Courtesy and good manners are free don;t put up with anything else. Good Luck in the future!

Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

@chezzy wrote:

chameleon54 wrote: "so if feedback is what floats your boat, I,m happy to leave it for you. I also try to leave feedback for new members with low scores as it can be of help to them".

See I might read that as leaving feedback being a bit of an inconvenience. But might be done for a few 'special people'.

In the case of positive feedback I see it as a simple courtesy, a sign of appreciation, good manners etc. But these days it is often forgotten. Reminds me of a time recently in a restaurant I saw a teenage girl thank the waiter for clearing her plates, that was a pleasant surprise. Anyway....

I like the note suggestion Kopenhagen gave. I am more concerned that the buyer is happy or that everything is ok, am always a bit concerned about postage issues/delays/damage. So sometimes I contact buyers to check if all is ok as I'd like to close the transaction. Once I have a positive answer then I will leave feedback for the buyer (personal choice but I do it at the end of the transaction)

Sorry, but yes you read it correctly. I do find it is a bit of an inconvenience and frankly a waste of time for buyers.  BUT I respect the fact that others have a different viewpoint and leave feedback on request. I,m not sure if this is your ony account, but the 11 feedback you have for this month would not be too onerous to manage. Other ebayers have a few more than this and it can be a time consuming job to manage. ( yes, even inconvenient ) . If I buy something online from Taget or Hardly Normal I dont expect them to rate me on my purchasing.

Why is it a waste of time for buyers ?

Sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback and positive comments. A buyer can be a total nutcase, abusive stalker with a huge string of unpaid items and they will have 100% positive feedback with 100% positive comments . How can this be a true reflection of their buying habits. Many stores have automated feedback which just leaves generic statements such as " fast payment from valued customer " etc. regardless of how long they took to pay.

. I remember the problems that occured when sellers could leave negative feedback, and dont support going back to it, but maybe it should just be scrapped for buyers all together as it is only a partial count of how many items they have purchased. If sellers want to thank buyers they can send an ebay message or include a note with the item. 

Feedback for sellers is a lot more realistic and useful.

Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

Apart from the fact that I leave feedback, I would be shirty about a seller contacting me in those circumstances. Admittedly I am savvy enough to not sell stuff I buy (rarely) on the same account.

If you have a lot of these issues, perhaps you are selling too cheaply? Maybe look at your pricing. Also, I doubt sellers are going to care about missing the odd feedback as a buyer, so you are just alienating them.

Save the paragraph.

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

You have particularly stupid buyers if they are reselling

your items with the same id.

I would also say , if they are making money, then you are selling too cheaply.

Feedback is voluntary.    You can't make someone give it to you.

Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

This long plea to leave positive feedback would put me off!  It smacks of Etsy stallholders who stand over you (figuratively) and tell you they do not accept negative feedback!  And if I want to buy from someone who has that phrase on their item, I won't buy it!  I also can't stand the practice of a "nice note" included in my package (also an Etsy practice). For heaven's sake, the vast majority of goods are second-hand, we're just buying goods that appeal to us!

Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

... I'd leave it at "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems"...

I don't even say that much.  I just thank them and then tell them I've posted their items.  I haven't checked lately to see what percentage leave feedback but it'd be around 70% (used to be 75% but I'm finding less bother these days.  I wouldn't care about receiving feedback if it wasn't for the fact that one idiot buyer can do a lot more damage if less buyers leave it overall. 

If I get a note saying to contact a seller if there are any problems it always makes me wonder whether they expect there to be problems and I'm not as comfortable as I would have been if they hadn't said it.  I have confidence in my products and I don't expect problems so I don't like to create that sort of expectation with my buyers.  There are probably some products that it might be appropriate to say it, but generally I'd expect things to be checked before I buy them.

In the same way I'm always wary of sellers who make a point of saying in their descriptions saying problems can always be sorted - makes me wonder whether they just list as quickly as possible and sort problems later (if buyers bother asking).  I've been watching one seller who's got mistakes galore in her listings and she repeats the bit about sorting things amicably two or three times - she'd be better spending her time checking things properly before she lists them than sorting problems afterward.  I run a mile when I see this sort of comment, same as I run a mile when people say "I list to the best of my ability".  I even saw one the other day that said they list as well as their failing eyesight allows.  Smiley Surprised

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

... I'd leave it at "Many thanks for your purchase. Please contact me if there are any problems"...

I don't even say that much.  I just thank them and then tell them I've posted their items.  I haven't checked lately to see what percentage leave feedback but it'd be around 70% (used to be 75% but I'm finding less bother these days.  I wouldn't care about receiving feedback if it wasn't for the fact that one idiot buyer can do a lot more damage if less buyers leave it overall. 

If I get a note saying to contact a seller if there are any problems it always makes me wonder whether they expect there to be problems and I'm not as comfortable as I would have been if they hadn't said it.  I have confidence in my products and I don't expect problems so I don't like to create that sort of expectation with my buyers.  There are probably some products that it might be appropriate to say it, but generally I'd expect things to be checked before I buy them.

In the same way I'm always wary of sellers who make a point of saying in their descriptions saying problems can always be sorted - makes me wonder whether they just list as quickly as possible and sort problems later (if buyers bother asking).  I've been watching one seller who's got mistakes galore in her listings and she repeats the bit about sorting things amicably two or three times - she'd be better spending her time checking things properly before she lists them than sorting problems afterward.  I run a mile when I see this sort of comment, same as I run a mile when people say "I list to the best of my ability".  I even saw one the other day that said they list as well as their failing eyesight allows.  Smiley Surprised

englishrosegardens - thank you for your comments - I like the idea that less might be more in this case.

At the end of the generic spiel I put on all my listings re postage, pickups, payments etc I include the phrase "If you are unhappy or disappointed with your purchase please contact me before leaving negative or neutral feedback as I would like an opportunity to address any concerns. I do my best to describe things accurately".

Perhaps that is enough to indicate that I am a reasonable, approachable seller without further referencing it in my "packing slip" message - especially, as it seems from this thread, that any mention of 'feedback' raises the hackles of a few and has no effect on the rest.

Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

Do you feel the same way about eBay and PayPal's protection policies? (As in, because eBay plastered the MBG advertising on every page, do you feel like that's undermining their sellers and putting the expectation of problematic transactions on the table before people even start browsing - genuine question, because I personally would prefer eBay highlighted / drew attention to more positive things first).

But... in all reality, and the seller with error-filled listings that you mention aside, most of those kinds of statements on listings, or on invoices, notes etc, are usually intended to inspire confidence, and/or work as defence mechanisms, not lazy failsafes.

By defence mechanism, I mean for every seller who just wants their buyers to know they'll sort out something if an issue occurs, there's at least one who's had a no-contact neg or neut and doesn't know what else to do to get people to at least notify them of a problem so that something can be done about it. For every seller who does get a message from a buyer who notifies them of a problem, but is understanding and/or forgiving about it, there's at least one other seller who gets a message that's all guns blazing and assumes whatever issue occurred was intentional or at least all the seller's fault. It's undertsandable for people to start wondering what the best way is to try and counter that kind of behaviour.

And really, what other options are there, other than to say nothing at all? Lots of businesses have money-back guarantees that cover all of the same kinds of consumer complaints that occur on ebay, but perhaps it's just how they word and/or present it that stops people from assuming the worst when the see it. eg Coles have something like "we're not happy unless you're happy", and offer unconditional money back guarantees, but I certainly don't avoid them because of that, so I wouldn't avoid a seller on ebay who tries to make it clear they'll listen to me if there's a problem. 😉 

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

@samjess54 wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

englishrosegardens - thank you for your comments - I like the idea that less might be more in this case.

At the end of the generic spiel I put on all my listings re postage, pickups, payments etc I include the phrase "If you are unhappy or disappointed with your purchase please contact me before leaving negative or neutral feedback as I would like an opportunity to address any concerns. I do my best to describe things accurately".

Perhaps that is enough to indicate that I am a reasonable, approachable seller without further referencing it in my "packing slip" message - especially, as it seems from this thread, that any mention of 'feedback' raises the hackles of a few and has no effect on the rest.

What an interesting thread.  I guess it really highlights, as sellers we all think differently, just as I am sure all buyers do Smiley Happy  Perhaps one of those situations where you can't please all the people all the time, so you just have to do what you feel most comfortable with and what gives you the best or more positive results.

Similarly samjess, I have the following at the end of all my listings :

Customer satisfaction, service & the quality of items offered is of prime importance, so please, if you are not happy for any reason, before leaving Neutral or Negative Feedback, please contact me as we are sure to find a mutually agreeable solution.   Thank you ......

It never occurred to me this may be seen as englishrose interprets it (no offence intended englishrose - I can see your point  Smiley Happy), but likewise, I have confidence in what I offer and include the comments to try and give buyers confidence that I am approachable and willing to sort out any problem that may arise rather than have them think they need to open a case as their first option. 

That said, the few problems I have had the buyers have contacted me via message and they have been easily sorted.  In actual fact, most of them were buyers questioning how to open the bracelets to put them on, which was great, because I now include a little printed photo diagram of how to use the bracelet clips and stopper clips, which I see as extra customer service. 

I also include a similar message to the one in my listings on my invoice, again to be reassuring and I don't have it on my packing slip.  I have care instructions on the bottom of the packing slip.

To be honest, I actually figured most buyers probably don't read the entire listing or the notes on the invoice Smiley LOL

Edit  :  well said as usual digi Smiley Happy    (I'm such a slow typer)

Message 30 of 38
Latest reply