Will I need to pay for the return?

Hi. I recently purchased some acrylic nail stuff from WA, clearly not from Aus as the language in there messages is terrible. When I received the item, the bottle of liquid has leaked and melted all the little pots of powder closed. I messaged the seller with a photo and they came back offering a $6 refund. I only paid $11.61 as it was free shipping. I refused saying that I would have still paid $5.61 for something I cannot use. They have now come back with an $8 refund and have told me that if I open up an item not as described, I will need to send it back. Can someone clarify for me, if I do open up a dispute, will I need to send it back as it could cost more than this is worth. Sorry, I know this has probably been answered before, but I have never opened a dispute before. I know their feedback is appauling. Didn't even check.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I forgot to add, they have asked (almost begged) me not to open a dispute and make sure I leave 4 or more stars.
Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Was it sent as a tracked parcel or by regular untracked mail?

Sounds like it was poorly packaged by the seller. This is their responsibility to provide.

And since you have received it not as shown on the listing (ie with damage) then I would think it qualifies as INAD rather than a return request.

If you open up an INAD (Item Not as Described) case if the seller has no tracking on the parcel they are going to lose the case and you will receive a full refund without having to send back the item. In any case if the seller wants their item returned it is up to them to provide a trackable means of return postage to get the item back.

Even if they do have tracking the buyer usually wins such INAD cases anyway.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

The "begging" is because they know that if you open up a case against them they will receive a seller defect for that as soon as the case is opened.

And if you leave 3 or less star ratings they will also receive a defect. Hence why they say 4 or more.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Just my humble opinion but I would think that sending stuff like that thru the normal mail would be in contravention of Australia Post's dangerous goods items. So if Aust Post knew about this they could also get more trouble.

They need to have a dangerous goods licence to do that.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

It was just sent by aust post courier. It was packaged in a zip lock bag then some foam wrap around it, then in a plastic mail bag thing.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Just to add to Clarry's excellent advice, if you're going to open a NAD dispute, open it through eBay as opposed to PayPal. That way, as Clarry said, the seller has to pay the return shipping costs.

What was the liquid component in its former life? Even though I'm female, I've never had acrylic nails on, so have no idea what they use. I'm concerned it's something like Acetone or some other kind of acid, that would require a dangerous goods licence. If it is something like that, eBay needs to know because YOU don't want to be breaking any laws sending it back!

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

it is acrylic liquid, it's what you mix to the powder to apply to the nail. I believe it's highly flammable.
Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

No doubt this would be considered a dangerous good for Aust Post purposes.

So as was said above DO NOT mail this back even if requested to by the seller.

If they do request this returned get in touch with ebay and explain to them what the chemical is.

I'm quite certain you will just be fully refunded by ebay on this one given all you have presented here.

This seller's practices seem a bit dodgey to me.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

This is a picture of the contents. 

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply