Will I need to pay for the return?

Hi. I recently purchased some acrylic nail stuff from WA, clearly not from Aus as the language in there messages is terrible. When I received the item, the bottle of liquid has leaked and melted all the little pots of powder closed. I messaged the seller with a photo and they came back offering a $6 refund. I only paid $11.61 as it was free shipping. I refused saying that I would have still paid $5.61 for something I cannot use. They have now come back with an $8 refund and have told me that if I open up an item not as described, I will need to send it back. Can someone clarify for me, if I do open up a dispute, will I need to send it back as it could cost more than this is worth. Sorry, I know this has probably been answered before, but I have never opened a dispute before. I know their feedback is appauling. Didn't even check.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I called ebay this morning and told them the following.

that the seller and I have gone back and forth through messages, which the CS rep could see. I told her about the whole scenario and told her that under no circumstances am I sending this item back as it's dangerous goods etc etc etc.....she said they have noted it in ebay records and to wait until wed/Thursday for the seller to respond and then escalate if need be. She said if ebay rule in the sellers favour, to call them and they can see that I have already called regarding this.

i just received a message from the seller saying, and I quote "you do not need to return the package back, cause we do not want you to pay for the return shipping fee, we sincerely apologise and would really appreciate if you can not leave us feedback. So, is that ok we issue you partial refund to you".

my response was " I have opened a not as described return with ebay and I have already spoken to them as it against the law to ship some of these items as they are classed as dangerous goods in which you need a licence for. You also stated in your listing that the item is located in Darwin NT, however, the return states you are in Penang malaysia, which is against ebay policy.

so,I'll just wait and see.

tippy, I'll give the council a call now.

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

Spoke with EPA and they said I have 2 options. 1st is to wait until my council have a chemical clean up day, which won't be until the end of January next year or 2, pour any remaining liquid onto paper towel and then wrap in plastic wrap or something similar and put it in the bin. As long as the liquid isn't dripping, it will be ok. I'll be taking option 2.

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

If this seller has signed the dangerous goods section of the postage label he has really done a very wrong thing!

The goods came from Malaysia.....Australia Post rules do not apply although I am pretty sure that all countries would have some sort of Dangerous Goods rules for postage.

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

@allsafetysolutions1 wrote:

Spoke with EPA and they said I have 2 options. 1st is to wait until my council have a chemical clean up day, which won't be until the end of January next year or 2, pour any remaining liquid onto paper towel and then wrap in plastic wrap or something similar and put it in the bin. As long as the liquid isn't dripping, it will be ok. I'll be taking option 2.

I'd be putting on a chemical mask before tipping it out. If there's not much left it shouldn't cause too many issues, but I wouldn't be risking breathing it all in. I'd probably do it outside too so the vapours don't get stuck inside hovering around the floor.

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

Just thought I'd let everybody know that the Seller approved the refund today, I don't need to send it back, even though I wasn't going to. They then sent an message saying, we have refunded you, please leave positive feedback and 4 or more stars or don't leave anything at all..........so a big fat red dot they got and 1 for stars.

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

allsafetysolutions1,

Just thought I'd let everybody know that the Seller approved the refund today, I don't need to send it back, even though I wasn't going to. They then sent an message saying, we have refunded you, please leave positive feedback and 4 or more stars or don't leave anything at all..........so a big fat red dot they got and 1 for stars.

If your story is even true, about the contents of your purchase being spilt during transport - you have received the full refund and "survived the ordeal" of having to dispose of  empty container - and didn't have to post it back - whaich was your initial gripe.

And leaving a "big, fat neg" to the buyer was out of line - on all accounts.

And  - your terminology suggests that you are able to leave bigger and fatter negs than the rest of us!

I though all negs were the same size.

But the worst part (for you) is the wording of the neg. It tells the world that you give people negs because they are an ocverseas seller!

And you'll never shop with them again. 

We all shop overseas - and quite frankly - it really doesn't matter if they were in another galaxy for all I care as long as my purchases arrive.

And, I'm almost certain that the poor seller didn't have a clue about the potential dangerous component in your item - unless they are also a manufacturer of them.

To save yourself of being humiliated in public, maybe you should remove that dumb f/back quick smart - someone here will tell you how to go about it, or maybe you already know how it's done. 

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

jbmbkb
Community Member

theres nothing wrong with the neg in my eyes , it lets people know the item is posted from overseas even though it says its in australia.... seller lied about location he deserves the neg.

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

IMHO this seller is the kind of seller who gives the good ones on here a bad name, and are the reason ebay treat us (sellers) all like crooks with no recourse.

So they deserve all they get. They should be NARU'ed IMO. In this case "fat" red dot and 1's is well & truly deserved.

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

@jbmbkb wrote:

theres nothing wrong with the neg in my eyes , it lets people know the item is posted from overseas even though it says its in australia.... seller lied about location he deserves the neg.

But the seller is registered overseas.  That negative just makes the buyer look a bit silly as there is nothing to say that the item location was wrong....just that the seller was overseas.   There is a vital difference.

Within a few months no-one will be able to see the listing to know of the wrong item location.

It is a badly worded negative that makes the buyer look silly IMO.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But the seller is registered overseas.  That negative just makes the buyer look a bit silly as there is nothing to say that the item location was wrong....just that the seller was overseas.   There is a vital difference.

Within a few months no-one will be able to see the listing to know of the wrong item location.

It is a badly worded negative that makes the buyer look silly IMO.

I thought that too. The biggest issue wasn't that the item was sent from overseas, the biggest issue was that the seller sent dangerous goods through the post that leaked everywhere and put the buyer at great risk.....not to mention the postal workers and the plane it came over on.
If the item location was the biggest issue for the OP, then something along the lines of "stated item was in Darwin, yet arrived from Asia" would have been better. As you said, the seller is registered overseas, so it looks really stupid that someone is complaining about the items being sent from overseas.

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply