Won't send photos of damaged item

Sold an item. Buyer claims it arrived damaged but will not send photos of item as says cannot attach to message & has asked for my email address (which I obviously cannot send). Do I just cut  my losses and refund, I don't know if its true or not (item is damaged) - have sent this item before several times without issue. Guessing I am going to wear the loss as its the buyers word against mine.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Won't send photos of damaged item

the return request would have to been given a reason ie SNAD Item broken etc etc. if your buyer is simply returning without opening a dispute then silly buyer

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

The buyer has marked their complaint as SNAD - doesn't match photos or description, but will not actually give me any more info or pics, so I really have to guess as to what the actual problem could be. She ordered a 21" pink floral cushion cover and that's what she was sent. It's either a case of buyers remorse and she doesn't want to pay the return postage, or she's fishing for a refund and will send me an item which was not mine to begin with.

Who knows?

That's why sellers try to get photos or more info out of buyers before just refunding. When a buyer doesn't respond, it makes it very hard to assess the problem and inevitably the seller loses.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

here is my bit. some here are saying ask for a photo for proof of item damage etc..to me a photo showing damaged items means sh^^....anyone, and i mean anyone can manipulate a photo to how they like it to look. ever heard of photo shop ? my 5 yo nephew can do this and can do it with great expertise either using a phone or computer.

i came to the conclusion years ago to never ever believe what a photo shows.in my books a picture is NOT worth a thousand words,its only worth one (sh^^).....just my bit.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Well this "anyone" could not manipulate a photo to get the desired result....I can barely even send a photo...it takes me ages to do so.

And shock horror, my phone only makes and receives calls and texts.

I rather resent your attitude that all buyers are out to get sellers...we are not all scammers but it is nice to know which members if they are sellers are likely to treat us as such.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Well this "anyone" could not manipulate a photo to get the desired result....I can barely even send a photo...it takes me ages to do so.

And shock horror, my phone only makes and receives calls and texts.

I rather resent your attitude that all buyers are out to get sellers...we are not all scammers but it is nice to know which members if they are sellers are likely to treat us as such.

Agree Lyndal

Heaps of peeps in my life that couldn't upload a photo to save themselves. 

My goodness sellers - don't let ya paranoia cloud ya common sense. 

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

its a free country and you are free to have your opinion.

however having voiced your opinion you prove yourself to be not an ideal candate to be a seller on ebay

you have a huge chip on your shoulder regarding buyers honesty, not sure why but thats your business

sure there are bad or dodgy buyers out there as there are bad or dodgy sellers.

what you are suggesting is for a buyer to go to extrodinary lengths to commit a fraud.

if a return under not as described is used surly as i read it there isnt a refund granted until after the item is returned with proof of delivery. so take photos of the returned package as your opening it just in case its not what you sent.

please do not go into oh but the seller could manipulate photos. yes they could but your now you tarring every one with the same brush, buyers dodgy and seller. love to know the odds on that.

i'm doing my first ever return now, seems to be going smoothly so far. havent recieved the item back yet so i'm here on the fence trusting my buyer is honest as i have no reason to doubt him.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

I sold an item last year and the first time the buyer used it, it broke into 3 pieces. She sent a really nice message with photos (where there is no way they could have been manipulated) and made a point of saying she didn't want a refund, she was purely letting me know in case I had others the same, so I could check them for any faults.

I did have others and one did have faults, so I binned it. I also sent her out a replacement. Even though it arrived intact, I still didn't feel right that it broke on the first use. I wouldn't have liked it if that happened to me. She has since come back and bought more.

I can count on one hand the amount of issues that Ive had. All have gladly sent a photo to show the issue. None could have been manipulated because the issues could not have been manipulated into a photo. I refunded in each case without them sending the item back. I couldn't see the point in getting the items back as I couldn't resell them. It was cheaper just to refund once I saw what the issues were.

I think I'm lucky in that the items I sell don't tend to attract scammers. The few issues I've had were all resolved without the need for a dispute. All taken care of via a message with a photo or 2.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

my return is a train engine, was new in box never opened not even for photos (i found a photo of the engine with google)

buyers says it runs badly and derails. so i have no problems with refunding once its returned, plus i offered a little extra money for his trouble. i havent heard from him, that was early this past week. i dont know if hes returning it but if he does i'll refund.

if i ever set up a train set i'm sure the problem isnt so bad as the model is from a very popular train making company, i'll use it myself.

maybe as it was in storage for a few years it became 'dry in the bearings' wont know till i can see it and perhaps do a little oiling.

watch this space i guess.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply