Would this qualify as feedback extrotion?

A buyer contacted me with this message today.

Just to let you know that the valve seperated from the balloon and I had to duct tape it back on. Which didn't work.

Before I leave negative feedback, would you like to respond?

It has been 58 days since the sale/payment so it is too late for the eBay MBG and is well outside my returns period.

I'm not sympathetic to this buyer due to their attirtude & timeframe and do not wish to respond to an aggressive buyer.

Presumably he will leave negative feedback. Do other members feel this message will constitiute feedback extortion and would anyone care to guess the likelihood of eBay removing a negative feedback based on this message.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Unfortunately that wouldn't qualify as the buyer basically has to demand something they're not entitled to "or else".

Messages like that really rub me the wrong way, too. I try to overlook it and just address the problem but I wish buyers would understand that the only thing it does is influence what I think of them and changes nothing in regards to what I'll do to help.

Some sellers have suggested that these messages arise because eBay places that message about contacting sellers before leaving neg FB when they go to do it, but even still, I find it a distasteful approach.

The time limit on FB will be up in a couple of days...
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

As DG suggests, not grounds for removal.

They may not realise they only have 60 days to leave feedback.

Perhaps ask for photos of the item damaged.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes they are outside the timeframe for ebay MBG which has a 30-day time limit.

They have 2 more days to go and they will be unable to leave any feedback as well.

So try to string it out a bit past the 60-days.

The only other avenue they will have for any kind of case will be via PayPal which has a 180-day limit.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

IMO not FB extortion at all, and as others have said hopefully time will run out for the buyer as he sound unreasonable to me.

Little tip though, don't respond to neutral feedback, it looks defensive and argumentative, especially when no responses made to positive feedback. It also calls attention to something that would have been otherwise overlooked.

JMO

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I'll have to wear it!

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

As the others said, string it out for another couple of days so the time runs out for feedback. I like the asking for a photo suggestion. You ask for it today, they might send it tomorrow, then by the next day they've run out of time and can go jump.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply