Wow, some buyers just don't understand ebay

Lol, my last buyers feedback was about the movie. Fortunately it was a green dot but when i checked her feedback given quiet a few have gotten a grey dot because she did not like dvd or songs on the cd etc
Would have thought that should have been a good reason for ebay to remove all those grey dots?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You would think so. It's not as if she is meant to be giving a movie or music review.

Good news is that a comment of that sort isn't going to turn off any other potential buyers, they will see it for what it is.

Although they might not buy a copy of that exact movie, i suppose.Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

As long as the potential customer reads the actual reviews and does'nt go just by the feedback score. If not, a seller will be effected. I think you can ask for the customer to revisit their evaluation though, but that's no guarantee.  

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

If they're only grey dots, they won't change the feedback percentage.

Only red dots do that.

So a buyer will only know they're there by going to the feedback page, in which case you would think they'd read the actual feedback too.
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

She probably thought she WAS giving it a review, and doesn't realise feedback is about the seller rather than the item.
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I think you could be right. There was a post on here last year from someone who stated a review IS feedback  (their feedback was about  them simply 'not liking' the item) they said the seller was great but the item itself was'nt to their taste

When responders tried to explain feedback and an item review were two different things..................well..................say no more

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
She probably thought she WAS giving it a review, and doesn't realise feedback is about the seller rather than the item.

Perhaps she thought it was like reviewing on Amazon AU. 

I bought something on AZ AU  (I had no choice, it was to spend a gift card that couldn't be used anywhere else) and I found I could only write a review of the items I bought, not the sloppy packaging and minor damage to one item.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

I can see that in some cases it's hard to separate the seller from the item, but... I have this irresistible scene in my mind's eye.

Buyer named jack_fosselhanzkaufer (not a real username) buys a cheap DVD. It arrives. It's an illegally downloaded poor quality video file burned onto a DVD-R. jack_fosselhanzkaufer's feedback, instead of being something like:

Negative feedback red dot"Horrible picture quality, illegal copy, not a legitimate release",

instead focuses on the film content with feedback like:

Negative feedback red dot"Hated this film, terrible acting, worst directing ever, such a stupid plot",

which has the buyer trying to be a film critic.

That would mean that the buyer would give the same feedback ("Hated this film &c") to a seller who sold him a legitimate DVD release of the film.

Not everything that is poor/low quality or doesn't please the buyer deserve a negative. For instance, if I bought a pair of costume jewellery earrings that didn't claim to be made of gold or silver, and didn't claim that the green stone was an emerald, and I paid $20 or so for the earrings, and when they arrived they weren't gold or silver or featuring a genuine emerald, the mere fact of the earrings not being fine jewellery and not being of high quality would not be reason for giving a negative. Ditto if I were to buy a Sass jacket online and complained that I didn't like the cut of it once I tried it on.

(I don't buy Sass and am unlikely to buy a jacket online anyway, as I would want to be sure that I like the style and cut and feel of clothing before I buy it; I won't say I'd never buy costume jewellery but am unlikely to do so online in most cases. I did get a few long ropes of fake pearls for a '20s party, though. I even put time into learning the Charleston!)

I thought that I read a recent comment on the boards about buying a Holden and expecting a Maserati, but I can't find that comment now...

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Rolls Royce - scratched iphone case

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Ah! Yes, that was it.

Spoiler
(I warped it in my mind due to Maserati love. I could have sworn you said "Maserati 1953 A6GCS Berlinetta". I'm seeing things. I can blame it on the fever and this wretched 5-week-long viral attack.)
Message 10 of 23
Latest reply