Wrong address on ebay/paypal, item returned to sender, buyer wants refund before item received

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get your thoughts on my issue.  I posted an item to a buyer's shipping address in paypal/ebay, and later found out at tracking that "Incorrect address, unable to deliver - Returning package to shipper".  When I contacted her she gave me another address for postage, but later asked for refund.  I agreed to refund in full (and shoulder all shipping costs) but only after I receive the returned item.  I didn't receive any reply but after more than a week the item is still in transit but I received a message from the buyer that she will give me a bad feedback because I did not give her the refund.  I just don't think it's fair.  Was I right in waiting to receive the item before issuing refund?  If she later gives a negative feedback do you think that can be successfully contested and taken out?  What would you do if you were in my shoes?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Wrong address on ebay/paypal, item returned to sender, buyer wants refund before item received

The way I understand it is that to make a threat with feedback is known as feedback extortion and is against ebay policy.

She is threatening to give bad FB unless you refund before you get the item back.

In such a case if she does do that then it should be a simple matter to have the FB and any related defects removed when you call ebay. And the buyer will get a policy violation too.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Re: Wrong address on ebay/paypal, item returned to sender, buyer wants refund before item received

She sounds like a real crafty "BleeeeeP" Wrong address to start off with and then FB extortion. Want want want gimme gimme gimme. Make sure you get the item back in exactly the same condition as it was sent and then whack her on your "Special List"

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If you sent it to the address on the PAYPAL advice then you have no fear of negative FB so long as you can prove it was posted to that address.

I respect your decision to refund in full, but now as this buyer is being less than polite I would advise her to go to INR dispute and once you prove you posted to the PP address it will close the case in your favour negating the ability for the buyer to leave FB.

You then have time to wait for the parcel and you can then refund (less postage of course, as they gave you incorrect info in the first place)

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I agree, no way I would refund this Buyer the postage - it was their mistake and they sound like a very rude person - definitely one for the 'special list'
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

YOU ARE RIGHT IN WHAT YOU DID AND YOU CAN ASK EBAY TO VIEW THE FEEDBACK AND HAVE IT OVER TURNED....AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU CANT PLEASE EVERY BUYER SO DONT DESPAIR IF ISSUES LIKE THIS ARISE.....

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply