Zero feedback sales mystery

Interested to know if anyone else has noticed a spike in sales from buyers with zero feedback. What makes them extra curious is the ebay ids are long strings of letters and numbers in a gobbledegook fasion eg fhfjghtyt767ehshdgy08 - unlike your usual Ron67 etc.
I can only theorise that eBay is aggregating these sales from a third party site. For those not allowing zero feedback sales you may be missing out on valuable extra sales. I have had about 5 in the last week and have noticed them increasing over a number of months.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I have seen those character 'strings' used for people who use eBay as a guest and do not sign up for an account ID.  That is why they have zero feedback.

I might be wrong though.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

It could be an eBay generated user ID after the Ron67 Ron68, etc have all failed having been already taken. That is just a wild guess however.

I'd still be suspiscious if you are getting many of these. Even though they pay they still have 6 months to open a PayPal dispute etc.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I have seen those character 'strings' used for people who use eBay as a guest and do not sign up for an account ID.  That is why they have zero feedback.

I might be wrong though.

Spot on.  They're using ebay as guests.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Yep, stawks is right...they are Guest Accounts and it is a goodbet that they also don't have paypal accounts so would have to rely on chargebacks on their credit cards.  Many banks do not allow 6 months for a chargeback....6 weeks is more likely these days.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Funny you should mention that; I have one right now. Has paid, unlike another one who went through the best offer process 3 times and now after 6 days still hasn't paid. Oh well, only another 2 days until I can close the case.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

We have had a series of purchases from zero feedback members, all high-end items (jewellery over $1000). There were 4 purchases from 4 different buyers, all new created just the day they were purchased, and also they all 4 lived in the same suburb or neighbour suburb. Actually.. 2 of them lived in the same house.. These two had either wrong post code or wrong suburb (we can fix that with eparcel but we would have not been covered by PayPal). We rang PayPal and they can't see anything suspicious but isn't that just such a big coincidence? 3 of there buyers messaged asking when is their item getitng shipped. Does anyone know if there is some sort of scam going around? 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

That sounds highly suspect to me, personally I would cancel the transactions using something wrong with the address, block their IDs and implement the block on unverified members, at least for a while.

Negs are possible, but I'd rather have a few of those than lose over $4k
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@blm27305 wrote:

We have had a series of purchases from zero feedback members, all high-end items (jewellery over $1000). There were 4 purchases from 4 different buyers, all new created just the day they were purchased, and also they all 4 lived in the same suburb or neighbour suburb. Actually.. 2 of them lived in the same house.. These two had either wrong post code or wrong suburb (we can fix that with eparcel but we would have not been covered by PayPal). We rang PayPal and they can't see anything suspicious but isn't that just such a big coincidence? 3 of there buyers messaged asking when is their item getitng shipped. Does anyone know if there is some sort of scam going around? 

You should've started your own thread instead of dragging up and old one.

Always use caution when selling high priced items as they are targeted by scammers,(using new or hijacked

account are one of their favourite ways of doing so).

Using the wrong postcode or suburb is a tactic they use because if they do get the item and it wasn't sent to

the address listed in their PP account they can claim it was sent to the wrong postcode/suburb.

Ask them to correct all their information first as you can't send to the address/suburb/postcode given.

Telling you that they have paid via PP can also be a tactic for you to send the item quickly or they may use

stolen credit cards or do a charge back claiming an unauthorised transaction,etc.

If you do send the items make certain they are paid for and carry full insurance as well as tracking.

To me this screams scam and your listing are a prime target for scammers,(I would contact eBay or get them

to ring you and state your concerns).

Paypal wouldn't have a clue as to what could be a scam.

If you don't get anywhere then maybe use DG's idea and cancel.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply