advice required

szone111
Community Member

I'd be really grateful for some advice from more experienced sellers on the following scenario.

After 3 days a buyer (with 0 feedback) had not paid for item won at auction. I have the unpaid item set up to automatically start + end and buyer would get a strike if not paid. I would add them to my special list too. Easy, no stress and helpful to ebay community.

However this time for some reason I check the sales record and note that buyers address is incomplete. 

The incomplete address made me think of that option on the cancellation 'problem with buyers address'

Instead of doing nothing and waiting for UI process to kick in if payment did not arrive, without thinking, I request a cancellation selecting 'problem with buyers address'.

Next day, buyer pays for item. I check sales record and they have updated their address with sufficient detail for it to get delivered.

The transaction shows that the buyer has not acted upon the cancellation request, so in the resolution centre it still says 'awaiting buyer action' 

I was thinking that I should post the item out now as they have paid and their address is now OK. Item is worth about $10 replacement value so I am not worried about the value of the item.

Should I message them to ask them to reject the cancellation? (I think a buyer has 3 choices with a cancellation: accept, reject or do nothing). I have not exchanged any messages yet.

What would you do?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

advice required

Yes you are right they do have those three options on the cancellation.

If they do nothing or accept it then it will close but since they have paid I think they will likely be refunded by ebay.

If they reject it then you should be OK to mail.

So I would not mail out the item yet just in case they get a refund. Then you will have lost your item for sure.

I would be on the phone to ebay (phone not email) and ask them to just close the cancellation request because your buyer has since paid and now you want to mail out their item as per normal.

For future reference if a buyer does not pay then always use the unpaid item dispute process. This way you retain the control.

If you use the cancellation process you pass control to the buyer and what they may/may not do is outside your control.

If they do nothing then it takes 10-days for the cancellation to automatically close. You will get your fees back then.

If they reject the cancellation then as I understand it you cannot then rasie an unpaid item dispute. Means your fees will be lost.

If they accept then all is good.

We rarely use the cancellation process any more for these reasons.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

The cancellation process has changed.  Now the buyer only gets two options:

-they have received a refund

-they have not received a refund.

Since your buyer has paid, obviously they have not received a refund.  

I have not been in this situation where a cancellation has been opened and the buyer has paid afterwards.  I suspect that if they select the option that they have not received a refund, the cancellation itself will be cancelled and you will be ok to post.  But I would CALL ebay to confirm first. I'm pretty sure that ebay won't be able to cancel the request for you.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

I thought the seller can go into the case that's opened and select buyer has paid to close it, but perhaps that's only with an unpaid item case.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

Good thought Kopes, I haven't got one open to check.  I've never looked for that option.

Maybe the OP could have a look and get back to us.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

I think that's only for a UPI dispute Kopes.

I have a buyer requested cancellation open and the buyer has not responded yet.

I just went into it and there is no option for me to do anything at all.

I simply says awaiting buyer's action. No other options.

So I think you would have to wait for the 10-days to expire then you can close it or it will close automatically.

You still do get your FVF back thos, just have to wait the 10-days.

*** EDIT ***

But the difference in my case may be that the buyer has NOT paid. Perhaps this could make a difference to the options available.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

Even if the buyer hasn't paid they still have to verify that and if the buyer doesn't after 10 days then ebay close the case

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

szone111
Community Member

Thanks so much for all of this useful advice. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

(BTW I don't have the option to close or withdraw the cancellation request myself, it just says 'awaiting buyer action' )

I have just called ebay customer service. They advised to message the buyer to ask them to close the cancellation request and to explain that this needs to be done before I send out the item. They explained that only the buyer can take action to close the request, not myself or ebay in this situation.

I have just messaged the buyer explaining background to why I initiated the cancellation in the first place, apologising for inconvenience and thanking them for paying, and I asked them to click 'I have not received a refund' and to close the cancellation request so that I can then post item.

I will update this thread again to let you know outcomes...

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

If they select that they didn't receive a refund, won't they then get refunded?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

advice required

That's what I would have thought too Tippy

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply