are books just terrible sellers or what?

nobody wants books ive found. theyre bulky junk that are impossible to get rid of, they have NEGATIVE VALUE most of th etime because there's an associated cost with disposing of them.

i stuggle to sell them anywhere, and even worse because of the way AusPost calculates shipping (width of item) the minimum shipping fee on them, even small books like a pocket dictionary is normally about $9.00, making them even more impossible to get rid of. ive had buyers try to scab a four book bundle off me for $1 and i took it because i knew nobody else would buy them anyway.

NEVER buying a book again becausae when or if you ever wanna re-sell it you know you wont be able to get rid of it without dumping it in a charity bin somewhere (where  it'll just be thrown in a regular bin after most likely).

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: are books just terrible sellers or what?

OP, you appear not to want a discussion....are you aware as a 1st time poster that you are on the Discussion Boards? This is a 2/3/4/5....-way street....

Maybe eBay can facilitate a "Vent/Whinge" board....I would be happy with that myself.....sometimes I don't want advice, but just need to know that I am not alone, and need to let off steam....good luck with your future ebay sales
Message 41 of 68
Latest reply

Why are you using subtitles in all your listings ?  Are you aware that they are costing you $2.20 each ?

Those subtitles could be easily put in the item's desciption and cost you nothing..............

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4364

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 42 of 68
Latest reply

@jamesgriffindubbo wrote:

im going to take on your advice just to prove you completely wrong. if people actually wanted this **bleep** they'd buy it regardless of any of the things you're saying. ive sold **bleep** with much less effort and lower quality sales pages than the books ive currently got listed on my account, and for an actual good price as well. 

books are competely f---kd as a category bc of the way shipping is calculated by f_hed australia post.

Genuine question here.

You seem to have made up your mind that trying to sell books (or just the titles you no longer want?) is a complete waste of time, so I'm a little curious as to why the thread and question you chose?

The answer to the actual question (thread title, I mean), is quite literally "a little from column A, a little from column B", in that they are not often an easy sell unless you have someone's Holy Grail item, or can adopt other strategies (the numbers or niche thing I and others have mentioned).

Most people have approached your question with an implied "I want to sell these items", and so have tried to offer some things that can help toward that end. 

If your thread question was more of a "I have given up on selling these items and just want other people to confirm I was right to do so", well, I can do that for ya.

Choose your own adventure, I guess.

Give up >>>>

Spoiler
Books suck and will never sell 

Or, carry on >>>>

Spoiler
Books can sell, with a bit of work and patience

Message 43 of 68
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Why are you using subtitles in all your listings ?  Are you aware that they are costing you $2.20 each ?

Those subtitles could be easily put in the item's desciption and cost you nothing..............

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4364

Condition of an item section is cost free

Message 44 of 68
Latest reply

I was under the impression that the way the OP is listing it is counted as a subtitle. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Capture.PNG

Message 45 of 68
Latest reply

Not a subtitle, padi. A required field when listing.

I always knew that pretend stuff rotted brains.

Message 46 of 68
Latest reply

Thanks Dave, the "pretend" whiskey does taste a bit nice though.

Message 47 of 68
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

I was under the impression that the way the OP is listing it is counted as a subtitle. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Capture.PNG

Ok glad you're happy then 
Message 48 of 68
Latest reply

I'm always happy to be proven wrong and learn new things about eBay.

Message 49 of 68
Latest reply

yes, that is exactly what i want. i want to be validated both in my hatred of australia post's standards and  the difficulty a simple man has had in getting rid of his excess, unneeded junk.

Message 50 of 68
Latest reply