bank account details without being attached to PayPal to sell an item on Ebay

Want to sell an item. Want the buyer to be able to deposit funds in my bank account. Do not want to lodge bank account details with PayPal. Do not want to use paypal as they make unauthorised withdrawals from bank account. Essentially, do I have to lodge bank account details with PayPal before Ebay will accept my item for sale?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: bank account details without being attached to PayPal to sell an item on Ebay

You have to have to offer a safe payment method, either Paypal, Paymate or a merchant facility to collect card payments direct.

Paypal rarely take unauthorised payments and if they do they are usually refunded very quickly once proof is provided.

There are not many buyers who will use bank deposit with a seller they have no history with.

You can have a Paypal account without attaching your bank account but you will not be able to withdraw the funds unless you do add a bank account.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Re: bank account details without being attached to PayPal to sell an item on Ebay

I give my buyers the option to pay via PayPal or Direct Bank Transfer and let them know in the invoice that if they want to pay by Bank Transfer to let me know and I will send them my Bank details.Then, if that's the payment option they choose I just send them my details on the ebay messaging system.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@maymadness wrote:

Want to sell an item. Want the buyer to be able to deposit funds in my bank account. Do not want to lodge bank account details with PayPal. Do not want to use paypal as they make unauthorised withdrawals from bank account. Essentially, do I have to lodge bank account details with PayPal before Ebay will accept my item for sale?

esentially Yes, you have to have a paypal a/c to Sell, and a credit card or paypal on file with eBay to pay your monthly fees before you can sell

established sellers can offer PayMate or use their own c card Merchant Facility if they are a business, but new seller (or those who have not sold for several years)must offer Paypal

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Buyers have no protection if they pay by bank deposit.That is why there has to be a payment method included in a listing that does offer buyer protection - one of which is Paypal.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@bettyboopsadaisy wrote:

I give my buyers the option to pay via PayPal or Direct Bank Transfer and let them know in the invoice that if they want to pay by Bank Transfer to let me know and I will send them my Bank details.Then, if that's the payment option they choose I just send them my details on the ebay messaging system.

Well I have to tell you I find that method really annoying.    Ebay have your bank details anyway, why not tick the box "show bank details on checkout".

I don't mind paying by bank deposit for very low priced items, but I really hate it if I choose "bank deposit" and then get a message saying I have to email the seller for details.   It just seems like double the trouble.    And I usually pay at about 2am so of course I have to wait until the next day or even later for the seller to get back to me by which time I've gone away.  

And once you choose bank deposit, you are committed, you can't go back and say I will pay by paypal instead, which I would like to do - I like to pay immediately.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Has anyone had any experience with  cryptocurrencies?  Bitcoin has been getting some notice for a while. There was a news item on telly the other day http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-21/new-atm-accepting-several-online-currencies-opens-in-canberra/... that's probably not earthshattering, but interesting to see it gaining popularity.  Any of bitcoin, dogcoin or litecoin may be an alternative to paypal should people not feel happy with it.  Not everyone can offer creidt card facilites and these alternatives may be woth considering.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

All I know about bitcoin is that I missed the boat. Apparently 1 bitcoin was worth $1 two years ago; now it is worth $1,000. I'm not sure how that rates it as money, or secure, but the ATO doesn't consider it to be currency, with the consequent issues that will cause a business.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

The ATO published an info sheet last week about Bitcoin. Businesses will be required to treat Bitcoin as they would any other currency.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Gen/Tax-treatment-of-crypto-currencies-in-Australia---specifically-bi...

ATO information link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply