best offer problem?

bnew0112
Community Member

I was selling an item for $300 when I got a best offer for about $250. I wanted to accept the offer but when I clicked on 'review and respond' it said the offer was declined. I did not decline the offer before. Now when I go back to the item I was selling it says the item was sold and the buyer who bought it was the same person who offered the best offer. In the 'sold for' it says the best offer was accepted but  it says that the item was sold for $300.

Does anyone know why it's doing this? Did the buyer decide to buy if for $300?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: best offer problem?

It sounds like the buyer made an offer and then decided they wanted it badly enough to pay full price, $300.

When they BIN it would have over-ridden their previous offer of about $250.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

ok but why does it say 'best offer accepted' and it crossed the original $300 out when I go back to the item? Is it just a bug or something?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It will be interesting to find out as you don't actually have to do a thing. Just sit back and watch to see what happens.

The ball is now in the buyer's court to pay within 4 days.

If they pay the full $300, you can be pretty sure they pushed buy it now after making the offer-may have reconsidered and decided they didn't want to risk losing it.

If they pay $250, then it may be that if you hit the offer accepted' tab it has gone through okay to the buyer.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

The sold price should show in the order details, despite any apparent glitch with the best offer feature.

It's more than likely a timing issue - I had something like that once. I had set up a custom listing for a buyer, which was for a bulk quantity of a couple of different items. I worked out the pricing on each item, added them all up, and set the BIN price.

I then had this notion I had put the wrong price in and that I had incorrectly charged twice as much as my original quote for one of the items, so went to revise the listing as quickly as I could (since I'd already sent the buyer the link), and reduced the price. A few seconds after I submitted the revision, I got the 'item sold' notification, and at that point I realised my original (higher) price was the correct one. 

On my eBay page, the order details showed it sold for the lowered price, so I was all set to just wear it, but then I got the PayPal notification and it was for the full, original amount - somehow, I must have submitted the revision at the same time they were purchasing, or perhaps they had the item in the cart at the original price, which didn't update when they paid. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

bnew0112
Community Member

ok I've worked out the problem and the buyer has agreed to pay the full price. Thanks for all the help guys!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply