blog post - ebay move from PayPal to Adyen

i read an interesting blog post regarding the change in payment processor which is coming and thought I could post it here since it's on an ebay-supported website (CrazyLister). mods, if this isn't allowed, i sincerely apologise - i couldn't see any blatant ruling in the board content policy preventing me from posting it. 

a while back, news broke of the intention of ebay to change it's main payment processor from PayPal to Adyen. this is due to take place by 2021 and all sellers will eventually have to transition. 

the blog post examines and answers some questions regarding the payment processor and how the transition might work - https://crazylister.com/blog/adyen-payments-ebay/

from my perspective, there are many unanswered questions and concerns which i guess, will become clear in due time. 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: blog post - ebay move from PayPal to Adyen

Thankfully, I'll be out of here by time it's implemented!
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Etsy are going into meltdown atm over financial problems.  They are in the process of changing their setup for financial reporting and it has seriously gone off the rails. There is already discussions about an exodus back to eBay as a result.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@beautbots01 wrote:

Etsy are going into meltdown atm over financial problems.  They are in the process of changing their setup for financial reporting and it has seriously gone off the rails. There is already discussions about an exodus back to eBay as a result.

Is this due to the new fee payment system? I like it, makes things easier for me since I paid my fees every few days anyway, but I did expect sellers would be up in arms about it (for the curious, all seller fees are now being deducted from payments before being credited to the seller - It happened already with payment processing fees, but now includes listing fees, FVF, fees for promotions, postage labels etc ).

The only thing I don't like the sound of is apparently, if you have fees owing (which now also means a $0 account balance) and you need to refund a buyer, the refund and all current fees owing are debited to your card on file, even though you only authorise the refund to the buyer - that needs to change. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

A lot of disgruntled sellers outside of the US.  Seems this new payment system has exposed an overcharge of some .2% over the 5% on transaction fees,  Questions asked of Admin indicate a "bug" in the system but there has been no indication of how or when they are going to rectify it.  Historic invoices have been amended adding to the anger of sellers who are not able to balance their accounts.

I thought it was going to be a good move too (as did many others).  But, the refund issue is just one problem, sellers have had their bank accounts overdrawn all for a $2 refund of postage overages.

Now there are massive complaints that payments for sales have been processing for days.  Customers are wanting to know when they will get their items and talking about opening a case against shops because ofit.  A big mess.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I see what you mean - the switch was sort of unannounced as well, so I can understand how a few sellers were caught out even if the transation had been perfect (they did announce it months ago, then deferred it, then just switched everyone without a reminder). I've now got a few orders racking up where the payments are processing. It's only been happening today, though, and I was switched over last week.

Will have to check my fees. Smiley Surprised 

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

In reality, at least for now, itโ€™s another giant mess in amongst a few other giant messes with Etsy. Theres been an exodus going on for awhile now, but I think some of the Etsy behaviours of the past couple of months has  hurried that up a bit.

Massive profits were recently handed down to shareholders and Josh is safe for the moment because Etsy make their money more so out of selling seller services as opposed to seller sales. And, up until now thereโ€™s been more sellers starting than departing, but the moment that pendulum shifts just one poofteenth too far, and the trend is reversed, heโ€™s in it deep. He could become โ€˜smellyโ€™ overnight if the exodus gains much more momentum. But, a lot of that operating profit resulted from upping the seller fees. Thereโ€™s not too much imagination or dynamic leadership involved in that, and he was lucky this time. No one was happy of course, but most copped it sweet. I think heโ€™s the type of arrogant  (heโ€™s full of BS too) sod that will push the envelope and try again as early as next year. He wonโ€™t be so lucky if he does!

Personally, I love Etsy and Iโ€™d hate to see anything happen to it, but I do think under Joshโ€™s Leadership it has developed a bit of an odor (even internationally it would seem) and it wonโ€™t take that smell long to permeate, even among those thinking of starting with Etsy. I think too, that it has taken on the outline of a train. Not a complete drawing yet, but certainly the outline and shape is undeniably there. But, if it does turn into a train, which is probable at the moment, and a wreck ensues, heโ€™ll just move in with not a care for the human trauma left in his wake.

The whole thing of Etsy stinks already. We started here after Josh left, so I donโ€™t know what his leadership performance was like here, but if it was anything like his current behaviour on Etsy, it canโ€™t have been too much fun here, especially for sellers.

Interesting times. Very difficult times for sellers on Etsy.

Melina.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Sounds similar to the CEO at one of the  club that's due to depart this month leaving the club over 800 thousand

in debt,,(he was known for leaving every club that he departed in debt and the board still allowed him to spend

over half a mil this year on stuff that hasn't made a bit of difference). Angry head bang.gif

Both of the other clubs made over a mil in profit,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply