buyer changes mind

i have a buyer who has changed his mind on a purchase

as i havent posted the item i'm ok with it

whats the process now?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: buyer changes mind

I don't know from personal experience, as I'm not a seller (and I've never failed to pay for an item), but there is a change, according to the Resolving unpaid items Help page.

โFrom May 2021, sellers will no longer need to open an unpaid item case if a buyer doesn't pay. Instead, sellers can simply cancel an order if payment hasn't been made starting on the 5th calendar day from when the listing ended. This change is already available to some sellers โ€“ if it's available to you, you'll see Buyer hasn't paid as an option when cancelling an order in Seller Hub or My eBay Sold. If you can't see this option, don't worry โ€“ it'll be available to you in the coming weeks.โž

It doesn't seem as though this will be the only option for the seller, as it says "will no longer need to" and "can" and "available" and "option" rather than "will no longer be able to" and "will" (or "must") and "activated" (or "mandated" or similar) and so on. That implies choice - but without a seller confirming it, I don't know for certain!

I do still see that unpaid items are recorded on the buyer's account, as per eBay's Unpaid item policy page.

Ah! <-- exclamation of enlightement

I can see the change in the 2021 Autumn Seller Update. I'll quote it here (and katistrophik, you will be pleased to see that buyers will still have the unpaid item recorded).

โWhat you Need to Know

From early April 2021, you wonโ€™t need to file unpaid item claims against buyers or send payment reminders. Youโ€™ll be able to cancel unpaid orders after 5 days.

1. Weโ€™ll proactively send payment reminders to buyers. After 5 calendar days, you can cancel the transaction using the 'Buyer hasn't paid' reason in Seller Hub or My eBay Sold
  2. After cancellation, the item will be automatically relisted and applicable fees may be returned to you
  3. Each cancellation where the buyer hasnโ€™t paid will be recorded against them. Weโ€™ll block that buyerโ€™s ability to leave feedback and, if theyโ€™ve already left feedback, weโ€™ll remove it. Buyers with excessive cancellations due to unpaid items may have action taken against them by eBay in accordance with our Abusive Buyer Policy

The order can be cancelled by the seller where the buyer hasnโ€™t paid and 5 days have passed since:

• The buyer committed to purchasing the item
    The buyer won an auction
    The buyer accepted your offer
    You accepted the buyerโ€™s Best Offerโž

Rubrication mine.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: buyer changes mind

Just wanted to mention the buyer won't get a strike in this case, though, because they obviously did pay (i.e. david mentions above that the item would have been posted before the cancellation request came through if yesterday wasn't a public holiday) - the only cancellation option here would be "buyer requested to cancel", which has no penalty.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply