buyer claims accidental purchase

ok, so an item gets sold, then confirmation of payment, then a cancel sale message.

claims he was looking at my item on a phone, put the phone in his pocket and it magically bought and paid for the item.

i thought there were several steps before you commit to buy then further steps to pay for an item.

my items are not pay on the spot.

what do i do?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: buyer claims accidental purchase

On the purchase you should have an option inthe dropdown menu to cancel the order.

Going through that process issues a full refund. The buyer will probably have to confirm the refund was received to finalise the cancellation so I usually mention that it's required they confim to ensure the transaction is voided, as otherwise it can take ten days to finalise.

You do lose the 30c PayPal flagfall, as that's completely unrecoverable.
Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

is it ok to add him to my blocked list now?

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Yep, you can do that pretty much any time you want to, as it should immediately prevent any further purchases or bids but doesn't affect any current transactions.
Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-saleswrote:

maybe he had his hands in his pockets!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pleasures-of-Small-Motions-Mastering-the-Mental-Game-of-Pocket-Billiards/...

Thanks - I just spent several minutes chuckling like a 14 year old about all the different angles one could shoot from and hit on a joke with that.

T'was a true master stroke.

Spoiler
ggl

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Maybe he's got his settings on so he doesn't have to sign in to pp to pay when he goes through checkout, so yes, it's quite possible that the buy button was accidentally clicked and the whole transaction was done and dusted. It happened to a buyer of mine after we'd arranged that she was going to pay almost a week later.

I don't believe the buyer has to confirm the cancellation in this case. I've done the odd refund when they accidentally bought something twice and it all goes straight through.
Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

Every now and then I get these idiots who buy in the middle of the night and then the next come up with some sort of horse sh** "dog ate my homework" story instead of just I changed my mind or I started looking for a cheaper price after purchasing or I was drunk or my wife spat the dummy cause I spent $300.

We in turn should be able to give them some truth back.

But all I have is the old motto "the buyer is always right" + my own addition of "and a moron" in these cases.

For the 1 in a hundred buyer with an actual reasonable excuse my apologies.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

100% agree

The load of codswallop some of these people come out with

And not only that, that they also think the seller is stupid enough to believe it

And it really is amazing that when a seller *does* decline the cancellation, said item is magically lost/damaged/different at the othwer end

Christmas year round with the other one playing jingle bells 

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585wrote:
Maybe he's got his settings on so he doesn't have to sign in to pp to pay when he goes through checkout, so yes, it's quite possible that the buy button was accidentally clicked and the whole transaction was done and dusted. It happened to a buyer of mine after we'd arranged that she was going to pay almost a week later.

Possible, maybe, but pretty unlikely - at least, one of the first things I learned after buying a smart phone was to not put it in my pocket without putting it in standby mode. In this case, they'd have to put it in their pocket but not only leave the eBay app open, and not switch the screen off, but then the screen has to be touched by something with enough pressure in all the right spots to proceed with purchase and payment, in quick enough succession so as to ensure the phone doesn't go into standby mode on its own. 

Your buyer may have just as easily bought something else and didn't / couldn't remove your item from their cart during checkout.

Not saying it's impossible, but it would be a genuine fluke if it did actually happen - and still the buyer's fault for not closing the app / putting the phone on standby.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply