buyer claims accidental purchase

ok, so an item gets sold, then confirmation of payment, then a cancel sale message.

claims he was looking at my item on a phone, put the phone in his pocket and it magically bought and paid for the item.

i thought there were several steps before you commit to buy then further steps to pay for an item.

my items are not pay on the spot.

what do i do?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

On the purchase you should have an option inthe dropdown menu to cancel the order.

Going through that process issues a full refund. The buyer will probably have to confirm the refund was received to finalise the cancellation so I usually mention that it's required they confim to ensure the transaction is voided, as otherwise it can take ten days to finalise.

You do lose the 30c PayPal flagfall, as that's completely unrecoverable.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

@davidc4430wrote:

is it now ok to relist my item?

its still in my sold list with a message from ebay 'eBay note: We're just waiting for the buyer to confirm they received a refund for this order.

Yes, the advice not to relist it before a cancellation is finalised is more to do with the UPI process where the buyer may still pay for the item before the case is closed.

In this case, the buyer doesn't want the item, and can't repay, so you're free to list it again.

The buyer needs to confirm for the FVF to be credited, or if they don't it will be credited after 10 days. 

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Most of these are regret purchases so you should be thankful your buyer cancelled quickly before you posted.

I think you should ignore them (well wait 4 days and open a non payment case so you can get your ffees back). If you try to make the buyer pay you are likely to run into hassles with them. It happens, move on.

Latest reply

was his name Richard?

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

he HAS paid, i have the PP confirmation.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

All I can say is,it must of been his front pocket and he must have been very happy

I don't know what I would do in your place to be honest (I know what I would be saying and thinking to myself)

So obviously full of it Robot Mad

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-saleswrote:

was his name Richard?

no, its reuben, hes in the USA and has over 1,000 feedback so hes no newbie.

i was just worried if i refunded straight away it might be a trick and id wind up out of pocket.

the ebay message says i have 4 days

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

thats my thought, i cant believe it was an accident, too many steps. if hed not paid i would have just cancelled and relisted.

but hes paid, thats where it gets confusing, how do you not only accidentally buy something but accidentally pay for it too?

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

I doubt it was an accident, that was just an excuse. Just refund and move on.

Latest reply

@enigmabearwrote:

All I can say is,it must of been his front pocket and he must have been very happy

cosm

"Are you shopping on eBay in your pocket, or just happy to see me?"

Woman LOL

@david - if you accept change of mind returns, ignore the excuse as it's ultimately irrelevant, and just focus on the request.

If you don't accept change of mind returns, then consider that you have a buyer who may be comfortable fibbing to get themselves out of something, and you already know they want out of this purchase. 

I know it can rub people the wrong way (possibly resulting in even more erroneous eBay purchases Woman Surprised ) when people don't apear to be honest, or are giving you the runaround, and you have policies that don't allow cancellations or returns, but sometimes the path of least resistance is better for your health. 

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

what is the best to do, accept the cancellation in ebay? will that refund or do i refund in PP?

never had this situation b4

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply