buyer wanting to swap item and threating with negative feedback

ethanabe
Community Member

Hey so i recently had an item i sent to a buyer , he recived it and said there was a few scratches on it( so i said i would replace the item no worries ) i asked him to post the item back and told him i would place how ever much it cost him to post it when i re-sent the other item he didnt want this and threatned with negative feedback unless i sent the item first.....

i think there needs to be a way where you can get the buyer to press a buton where it says that the item will be returned on recving the new item and if it is not say with in 1 month the buyers paypal accountget deducted for the cost of item or some ammount agrred apon buy buy and seller

any one have any opions on this / had this happen to them ??

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

isnt that actually a condition of ebay ? that any items to be refunded or exchanged have to be returned to the seller first?

if it was me i would be checking the rules, then sending him a copy, also keeping anything from them in writting to show ebay if you have any problems.

to me, ( i am a buyer only ) you sound like a pretty good seller, i would be happy that a seller was happy to swap an item i wasnt happy with

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Im pretty sure your within your right to ask for the item to be returned before you replace the item. Even in the paypal dispute process, if the order from paypal is the seller refunds/replaces the buyer is forced to mail via registered post to prove so.

Try getting a replacement at any shop without returning the original first

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Just message the buyer that it is a requirement the item is returned first. They may decide not to, especially if they were hoping on having 2 for the price of 1.

And if they open a case, PayPal will require them to return it first, registered, as already mentioned.

Stay firm on this as it's the proper procedure.

image host
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

as a buyer i can see where they are coming from. the buyer has already paid for postage of the item they wanted but when it arrived it was damaged (NOT AS DESCRIBED). i also understand that the item should be returned in order to get a replacement or refund...but....why should the buyer now have to pay for another lot of postage because they received a damaged item? dont know how you get around this issue...had it happen to me once, paid for return postage but never received replacement. once bitten...

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

bsal6160 The OP states they will refund the buyer the cost of the return postage once it is received back and send the replacement as well at their own expense.

You can not ask for anything fairer than that from a seller.

If he sends the postage money BEFORE they return it then what is too say the buyer will not keep the money and the item as well?

If the buyer opens a dispute with paypal they will be told to return to the seller at their cost via registered post so what the seller is doing will save the buyer money.

If they opt the dispute option then let them pay the postage to return it then.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

On the rare occassiobn that a buyer wants to return something that is damaged/not as described I ask for a photo. If I think I can fix it and resell for more than the cost of postage two ways I send them a prepaid satchel (with my name and address on the C&S label) to return the item and as soon as I get it back send the replacement.

If I don't think I can resell it for enough to make it worth it I just refund in full and tell them to keep it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

My course of action would vary according to the specific circumstances and the value of the item.

On one occasion an item arrived broken, it was relatively low value but I wanted it back as it was handmade and I just wanted to check whether the breakage was material or workmanship-related, so I sent the buyer a replacement with a SSAE to return the broken one (which they did).

More recently I had a buyer request to return an item that was of a bit higher value (due to an oversight on my part, so I did want to pay for all costs). In that instance, I said that I would either send them a postage-paid C&S satchel (with full refund of original purchase on receipt of the item), or reimburse the postage costs when I received the item if they wanted to send it themselves and not wait for a satchel to arrive. (They chose the latter option).

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

The far more experienced than me would know if this is possible or allowed.

You could suggest to the buyer that they start an item "significantly not as described" dispute in Paypal so that everything is recorded.

You agree to a full refund plus refund of the cost of return postage (if you are going to pay that too) and then Paypal will tell them to return the item to you.

Apart from that I don't have any suggestions of any other way to have this "officially" recorded to satisfy your buyer.

(BTW there is no problem for you having a dsipute opened against you because you will be offering a refund or replacement as soon as you are notified of the dispute.)

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

This is what I actually do if it is an issue that is m fault, I send the, the new and a pre paid post satchel for the incorrect item to be posted back. So far touch wood never had an issue. I think the buyer should not be put out if the item is faulty they shouldnt have to go to the post office and sort it out. The seller should do this.a self addressed satchel in the mail with the new item. If its change of mind the customerHave for return. Before I do the above I make sure the item is faulty by getting them to send a photo. If they want a refund I just get them to
Send the item back with postal receipt. And I refund.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply