buyer wanting to swap item and threating with negative feedback

ethanabe
Community Member

Hey so i recently had an item i sent to a buyer , he recived it and said there was a few scratches on it( so i said i would replace the item no worries ) i asked him to post the item back and told him i would place how ever much it cost him to post it when i re-sent the other item he didnt want this and threatned with negative feedback unless i sent the item first.....

i think there needs to be a way where you can get the buyer to press a buton where it says that the item will be returned on recving the new item and if it is not say with in 1 month the buyers paypal accountget deducted for the cost of item or some ammount agrred apon buy buy and seller

any one have any opions on this / had this happen to them ??

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I am having a similar situation here. it's a result of the client's misunderstanding of my listing.

100% feedback is crucial for starting-up sellers. I am not sure how the buyers can submit a negative feedback but I have contacted eBay beforehand eBay will not help seller to remove feedbacks except some exreme cases.

I just checked my ebay iphone app, the button submitting negative feedback is right there.

it scares me how some idoit could ruin all my efforts  keeping a  positive feedback score.

I gave up and sending him a 2nd unit for free.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

There are no set rules on how to do this sort of refund or exchange so it is really what the seller is happy with and the buyer will accept.

If I catch a bus to a shopping centre, buy an item then catch the bus home, then find the item is faulty,  it is up to me to return a faulty item to a shop and there is no refund on the bus fares or compensation for the time it takes to do the bus trip again.

However in the shop I am standing there holding the faulty item and it is only a matter of seconds for the shop assitant to examine it and give me a refund. The item is not out of my hands until it is time to get the cash refund.

This is why many buyers are a bit wary of returning an item and havign to wait for the seller to receive the mail before getting a refund.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

miaarkins
Community Member

I agree. I am going through similar thing right now. The buyer bought my item and didn't think it was as described. I said I am happy to refund fully including return postage. The buyer didn't want to do that and said wants to the refund first before sending the item back. The item is very expensive item I didn't want her to keep it and keep the refund as well. The buyer copened a case with Paypal and now the money is being frozen while Paypal investigates. But things would be much easier if the buyer just returned the item.

Some people are just sooooooo unreasonable.

With what you've suggested, I could have avoided this problem.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

miaarkins make sure you reply to the dispute advising you

were happy to refund on return of the item as well as return postage prior to the dispute being open.

Once it it escalated to a claim by either you or the buyer paypal will tell them to return it for a full refund any way.

As you offered them the return postage costs as well BEFORE they opened the dispute I would let paypal do their bit and they will now be told to return at THEIR cost now.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

plpmr
Community Member

Hi ethanabe,

Whatever you work out keep the Email regarding ~

"and threatned with negative feedback unless i sent the item first....."

Because that's feedback extortion and could be used to get the negative removed if they leave one for you.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply