buyer wants refund for lost item before Aus Post compensates

My buyer in the UK has not received his item that was sent from Sydney on 9th december. He has checked with his post office and it is not awaiting collection there, so unfortunately item appears to be well and truly lost.  He has asked me to refund me now but I do not want to do that until Australia Post compensates me first. Problem is, i lodged missing parcel enquiry online but accidently closed the enquiry.  I rang australia post, waited almost 30 mintes, then i am told that case couldnt be reopened and gave me a new enquiry number and because it is now a telephone enquiry, I will have to wait 6 weeks to have someone call me back!!  As opposed to 2 to 3 days when lodging online!! 

My question is, am i within my rights to make him wait possibly 6 weeks before I get my refund to give him his refund?  Its only a matter of $45 including postage but i dont want to refund him and then for some reason I am not compensated?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Maureen

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: buyer wants refund for lost item before Aus Post compensates

crazyplacecostumes, i am heading over to aus post now to see if it will work.  i will let you know.  Many thanks!

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

@crazyplacecostumes wrote:

Ok, De-structions from Aussie Post . . .

Go to 

http://www.track-trace.com/

Scroll down the screen until you see Post/EMS(with USPS)

Enter your number and click Track

On the screen that appears, click on Select Country at the top left as per below where I've circled

SelectCountry.jpg

On the next page, select your country. 

This then tracks the parcel in the BUYER'S COUNTRY, via the Postage Partner that Aussie Post uses for that country. 

Most are in English but you may need to use Google Translate for some, depending on where you ship to. 

It's handy because you can tell your buyers who will be handling the delivery, and when it arrived in their country. 

๐Ÿ™‚

Just tried it and it says service is temporarily unavailable.  Maybe as someone said earlier it can be tracked anymore in the UK.  I will try again tomorrow.  Many thanks!

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

I've used it for the UK recently so not sure. This one has saved me from 'items not received' in Kahzakstan and Russia just this week!

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

Well it appears that the general consensus is to refund the money and because i sent it registered post, i have a tracking number and proof of purchase.  I have faith in AP, ebay, paypal that i will eventually be compensated, even if  the buyer does receive the item and it may take 3 months. 

Many thanks to SPARKLZ, ZELLY888 and CRAZYPLACE COSTUMES, for you great advice and help.

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

"faifth" in eBay, PayPal or Aus Post?
Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

CRAZY PLACE COSTUMES  I tried that tracking site again and it worked!!  A UK post site did try to deliver the item prior to 16/12 and had left a few slips asking person to collect the item. This is good.  I guess its either on its way back to me or he may evenually receive it.  I will let the buyer know and take it from there.  Thanks for that info!!

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

You're welcome. Tis an awesome trick!! 

Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

You are not wrong!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

I just tried that site and also got the unavailable message. I tried 2 tracking numbers, one from China and the other from India. The Chinese one wouldn't work at all (it's from one of my regular sellers so I'm not concerned, they've never given me wrong tracking numbers before) and the Indian one worked until I selected Australia. It was then I got the unavailable message. 

I bookmarked this one, I think it could be very useful in the event something is taking a bit longer than it normally does!

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

I just tried that site and also got the unavailable message. I tried 2 tracking numbers, one from China and the other from India. The Chinese one wouldn't work at all (it's from one of my regular sellers so I'm not concerned, they've never given me wrong tracking numbers before) and the Indian one worked until I selected Australia. It was then I got the unavailable message. 

I bookmarked this one, I think it could be very useful in the event something is taking a bit longer than it normally does!

For some reason, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.  It may be going thru some technical problems at the moment.

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply