buyers who consistently leave bad feedback

i know this is an issue which comes up from time-to-time and i also realise that a lot of people don't care about red or grey dots. 

for those that do though; do you think that ebay needs to either take some form of action against buyers who are serial leavers of bad feedback to educate them about how the system works or how they should negotiate with sellers prior to leaving poor feedback? should ebay implement some sort of system where a buyer should at least be forced to make contact with the seller to reach some form of fair resolution prior to leaving negative feedback?

the reason i ask this is because in the past 24 hours i received a red dot - and since then, the same buyer has gone on to leave many, many neutrals and negatives (as seen below - all which say "during past month" left in the past 24 hrs).. is this justified? should it be up to the buyer to just leave feedback as they see fit? is it fair on sellers who aren't given a chance to compensate should the buyer not be happy? in my instance it came totally out of the blue; no contact from the buyer and the item was delivered 20+ days ago.. 

just interested in other people's thoughts on this. 

NEGS1.jpg

NEGS2.jpg

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: buyers who consistently leave bad feedback

@countessalmirena wrote:

Buyers who leave quite a lot of negative feedback seem to me to be buyers who need to be making better choices.

• Perhaps they're consistently buying from sellers who sell non-genuine or cheaply made items, sellers who misrepresent the item or their location, etc., or sellers who don't bother packaging their items well.

• Perhaps they're not bothering to read descriptions at all, which would be frustrating in particular to when it comes to purchasing from sellers who meticulously describe every bump and scratch.

• Perhaps they are unrealistic perfectionists whose standards can rarely be reached - i.e., fingerprint smudge on a CD case would be grounds for complaint.

• Perhaps they deliberately buy items where their experience tells them there is a good possibility for negotiating a partial refund.

• Perhaps they have a doxaphilic delight in giving negative feedback.

• Perhaps they're not feeling well and are currently in a grumpy mood which is expressing itself in giving negatives, neutrals, or very grudging positives.

I know that so many buyers don't read the descriptions. Interestingly, the account where I barely describe the item sells more these days than the accounts where I describe everything down to the last whisker.

As an example, on one account I might describe a vintage tea cup as "vintage tea cup with a lovely gold trim around the top. The handle is tear drop shaped, with no cracks. On each side is a lovely rose pattern that covers 3/4 of each side. There is some minor scratching consistant with age on the outside, and there is some light crazing on the inside. There is a small chip around the rim at the bottom which doesn't affect the cup at all". On the other account I'd put "vintage tea cup". The latter is more likely to sell!

These days I'm leaning towards the less is more because most people don't read what you've written any way. Having lots of good quality photos is more important.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: buyers who consistently leave bad feedback

That buyer is Mickey Mouse compared to the Clown I had to Deal with------------------------------

Recently I sold an item and as customary I inspect a Buyers "Feedback Left for Others", upon opening the buyers feedback for others, my first thought was this guy is Color Blind, NO, just kidding, I opened to 200, and counted 149 Negatives for Others, but still if he was Color Blind, his Feedback for Others was still Unsatisfactory, in my opinion. So my next thought was "How do I dodge this Bullet ", well I sale Airguns too, and in the past I have had to Cancel orders due to an Address that I don't ship too, So after thinking about it for a while, I did something I've never done before, I canceled his order based on Unsatisfactory Feedback, "Chose Issue with Buyers Address" Refunded his money, Put him On my BLOCK LIST, and made no attempt to contact him, of course eBays' stance on this is Give the Poor Little Scammer a chance, My stance is NIP these Guys at the Bud. After 10 days he gave me a Surprise Negative, you can read his Tear Jerking Saga of how I left him Hanging, also can you feel all the Remorse I'm Feeling Right Now, LOL, well eBay would not remove the feedback, and yes they really did say I should have given him a Chance, well I gave a reply to his Negative along with his Username, so if you're a seller or a buyer who thanks he may sell something in the Future, check out my feedback received as a Seller this guy is one of the best candidates I've ever seen for the BLOCK LIST

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply