can I try to remove marks from clothing before opening a dispute?

Hi, after a bad experience buying clothing off ebay I decided to try again......

purchased a couple of pre loved items they arrive and both have marks on the front.

one I don't think the marks will come out the other item may come clean.

the marks stand out, they are right there on the front of the items, can't miss them really.

only fault on one item is the mark on the front the other item has marks on the front a cigarette burn on the hem at the back (could cut a bit off the hem and re-hem) and 2 large holes on the inside of each side where I'm guessing breast pads were cut out (not sure if I can do anything to fix that)

question is can I give the items a wash, try to remove the stains now or should I open a dispute before doing anything?

I have messaged the seller haven't heard anything back yet but did only message them today so will give them a chance to reply first.

they are preloved items, the listings didn't mention the stains or the other faults but I also didn't ask if the items had any stains, burns or cuts, can I still open a dispute or is it just bad luck and part of buying preloved clothing?

if I can get the stains out then I can wear one item and try to fix the other problems on the 2nd item but if the stains don't come out they are wearable if you don't mind the stained look.

thank you for your help

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: can I try to remove marks from clothing before opening a dispute?

I have found your opinions and claims most "revealing" as I am sure many others have too.

Message 71 of 73
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
I would be far more comfortable with used clothing, stained or not, being drycleaned by the seller prior to sale, as a matter of course, and for this to be stated in the listing.

I tend to agree with you. I have been doing some research today, inspired by this thread, and I found it to be incredibly alarming.

Infectious diseases and skin diseases are statistically proven to have increased significantly since the modern trend of washing in cold water has beciome prevalent. It was also noted that even hot water washes in today's washing machines do not reach high enough temperatures to kill the fungi and bacteria that cause many of these diseases.

Many bacteria are only killed with expossure to high temperature for at least 20 minutes, and some require even longer than that as they are spore forming (clostridium botuli, for example, which causes botulism/tetnus) at even higher temperatures.

Pathogenic bacteria multiplies most rapidly at 37 degrees celcius (body temperature) and experiences significant growth in temperatures between 4 degrees and 66 degrees, but reproduction slows down on either side of these temperatures.

So, with this in mind, I am starting to understand what "thoroughly clean" actually is. In fact, I even question how clean clothes actually are that have simply been subjected to a regular wash.

So I would like to thank the OP of this thread for raising this issue, and end with my opinion that OP, I would not do anything to the clothes or alter them in any way, including cleaning, prior to contacting the seller. If you feel that you may need to return the clothes "if the stains don't come out, or the items are not "thoroughly clean" etc even after washing, then it is my opinion that you definitely should not touch the clothes, even if the seller says to, prior to opening a dispute with PayPal.

Best of luck with the situation.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 72 of 73
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
I would be far more comfortable with used clothing, stained or not, being drycleaned by the seller prior to sale, as a matter of course, and for this to be stated in the listing.

Even with new items, I find there are some people that they prefer to wash or get the items drycleaned, regardless of how pristine they are sent, if they have not purchase.
Message 73 of 73
Latest reply