can a seller insist you pay for registered post if paying by paypal...?

PayPal will only be sent via registered mail within Australia - no exclusions to this as it protects us both. Please wait for invoice, before attempting to pay.

(I prefer bank deposit myself when selling, however I didn't know you could insist a buyer pay extra for registered post, is this new?)

thanks

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

It's more of an old thing than new, and used to be allowed but it isn't anymore (sellers are no longer allowed to do or say pretty much anything that can be interpreted as discouraging the use of PayPal ).
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Registered post only covers the seller for loss.

Why would a buyer pay extra for that?

If it was an irreplaceable collectable, a buyer might want to pay

But if it doesn't arrive the seller is required to replace/refund

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

As a seller, I only post Registered mail, since it not only provides tracking information (which you get anyway with ordinary parcel post) but delivery confirmation, since the buyer or someone at the postal address has to sign for the parcel.

I make it a condition of sale, that the buyer pay the extra for registered postage. I don't 'spring'  it on buyers after the auction is complete. It is written in the description under the 'Postage' section, so  prospective buyers can choose whether or not to bid or buy in the full knowledge that if they win they will have to pay for the cost of registration.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I see your point bettyboops ... no surprises... and understood.. buyer chooses whether to bid or not on your terms. 

however this seller doesn't seem to insist on registered post with bd - only on paypal.... which I thought ebay didn't allow as they're discouraging paypal..  the full blurb is this...

Direct deposit is my favourite way of payment - all details will be on the invoice. PayPal will only be sent via registered mail within Australia - no exclusions to this as it protects us both. Please wait for invoice, before attempting to pay. Thank you! Postage is Australia Post price, plus a small charge to pay for the internal packaging used - this is new and not recycled. Local pick up, with cash payment, ....

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

If it was an irreplaceable collectable, a buyer might want to pay

(Sidenote - not an argument to your points, as such)

As a seller of many replaceable, non-collectible items, nothing makes me happier than when a buyer purchases something, pays for regular post (registered is always available), tells me it hasn't arrived and then when I try to sort it out for them, they come back with "heaps of my mail has been going missing lately". 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

What's worse is when I pay for Registered Mail cos I don't want it lost,

and then it's sent by ordinary mail.

"Oh sorry,  here's a refund".........

Anyway, if you pay by bank deposit you're not covered by EMBG

And you're not allowed to discourage payment by paypal

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Also I thought only letters were sent by Registered Mail.

Parcels have tracking

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I did that once 😞 (missed that registered was paid for - it's fairly unexpected these days ._.  ). I noticed right after I sent it so contacted the buyer to alert them and issued a full refund for the postage they paid, luckily it arrived ok anyway. 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I did that once 😞 (missed that registered was paid for - it's fairly unexpected these days ._.  ). I noticed right after I sent it so contacted the buyer to alert them and issued a full refund for the postage they paid, luckily it arrived ok anyway. 

I did that with an express post a few months back. I didn't notice until after I'd sent. Very few of my buyers pay for express. Thankfully they lived in an area that normally only takes 2 days anyway (express takes 2 days from here as I'm not in the network). I refunded the full postage cost and sent a big apology. I said it should only take 2 days anyway, which it did........thankfully. Buyer was very grateful and has since been back a few times and paid for regular post.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I've seen the same thing in a couple of listings and to be honest, it makes me fume.

How dare a seller 'insist' I pay more for postage if I use paypal.

What they are in effect saying is this: If you pay by bank deposit I, the seller, will save fees and if it doesn't arrive, stiff luck, but if you pay by PP I will have to cover myself.

A buyer has absolutely no protection with bank deposit.

If a seller is that worried about people using paypal, for goodness sake build the price of registered post or whatever into the postage price for all customers.

But don't have a 2 tier postage cost based purely on whether people pay by bank deposit or not.

Express post etc is of course a different matter.

For the record, I try not to buy off sellers like that, it puts my back up.

If it is against ebay rules, and it sounds as if it may be, it could be worth reporting their listing.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply