can i refuse to sell to a winning bidder if he or she didnt abide by conditins in the description

on many occasiins i have specifically said in bold print MUST BE PICKED UP WITHIN 3 DAYS  but people still win auction then say ill pick up in 4, 5 ,6 ect ect days time & expect me to accept it  On occasions some have even said to me they will pick up a week later and threaten me with negative feedback if i try to cancel auction . I also request to be contacted as soon as possible and sometimes it takes them days to make contact  So can i refuse to complete transaction if these conditions are not met & if negative feedback is left can i have it removed

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: can i refuse to sell to a winning bidder if he or she didnt abide by conditins in the descriptio

Any reason why you need to have such a short time frame (3 days) for pick up?

If the item ends early in the week Mon or Tues then with your 3 day pick up rule, it would have to be picked up on a week day. For buyers that work full time that wouldn't suit them, as they would prefer a Sat or Sun for pickup.

If you have an item for sale, and someone wants to buy it, it makes sense to me for both of you to sort out a mutually agreed pick up date. Instead of cancelling a sale because of your '3 day rule'.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Re: can i refuse to sell to a winning bidder if he or she didnt abide by conditins in the descriptio

And they are not grounds for feedback removal.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As you cannot even start an unpaid item dispute until after 4 full days asking for pick up within 3 is just asking for trouble and encouraging people to pay by Paypal which I presume is not something you want. I never say less than a week because a lot of folk work 6 days so could not pick up within 3. If those who you have had problems with had taken notice ofyour terms they probably wouldn't have bid so you would end up not selling or not selling for as much.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I can understand why people advertise 3 day pick up - or put a time limit on it.

The number of times we have used pick up only and then been mucked around over several weeks before the highest bidder either completes or abandons the sale.  If it is advertised as pick-up only why would you bid on it out of state? (Have had a couple of those where the bidder has eventually concluded they can't get it picked up or won't pay up for the shipping to their interstate location (hey we tried to accomodate).

I once sold a printer (for 99 cents - oh well my loss - pick up only)  the buyer paid by paypal, and then announced he was o/s for the next 8 weeks, and would pick it up on his return.  He duly did, but having it sitting around for the next 8 weeks, after I had finally got around to listing and selling the damn thing wasn't quite what I had planned when I listed it.

I personally think a couple of weeks is reasonable in terms of giving the bidder time to pick up, particularly if it's a heavy item which may require a trailer or something similar which needs to be organised, but beyond that...

It's on sale because you want to get it off your property, you don't want to indefinitely store something on the basis of a pay on pick up buyer.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I think there is an option to cancel a transaction for:  buyer and seller disagree over terms. I have no idea if it counts as a defect or if you get FVFs back and if a neg would be removed, IMO it should be though. This is ebay remember.

It is the sellers choice if they want to make such terms, I have never seen anything that would forbid such terms in a listing. Maybe there is.

I can understand why a seller would want to finish the deal after only 3 days, and I would think buyers should make contact beforehand if they want more time or something. It is asking for trouble though.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply