changing payment methods after auction ends

HI,

I am failry new to selling.

Listed an item as postage signed for only and paypal as only method of payment

four days after winning the item the buyer has made 1 st contact,  asking  that since the total amount of the sale is so low, (  just under $25) would I please consider regular mail as she has difficulty getting to PO to sign

Am I right in thinking that I am only covered by paypal if item is sent signed for? Pretty sure that's right.

I am therefore thinking to let her pay reg post costs - 8.25 - if she pays by bank deposit.

But can I do this AFTER auction has ended? I know I can adjust the invoice to reflect the new postage, but can I change the payment method?

Somewhat annoyed she has asked after the sale has ended  - and waited 4 days also- the auction ran for 10 days. - why bid if she didn't like the terms?

However, worried she will leave unfair neg feedback if I don't change post options

Advice re  how to proceed much appreciated

Also need to say  I over quoted a little for signed for - but about $2 and had planned to give partial refund - have already done this with recent sales

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You don't need to change the method of payment.
If she pays by paypal then it is automatically marked as paid. She will have buyer protection.
If she pays by any other means it is not automatically marked as paid (You can mark it as payment received) and she will have no buyer protection.

If she wants it sent normal just send through another invoice with the discounted price. The buyer will then select the method. Perhaps just message her make sure she realises the discounted price is for DD only

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

As for the small refund, Could you open the parcel and wrap up the refund with a small note explaining what it is etc and then reseal the package ? 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I'm not worried about the buyer having buyer protection - I'm worried about ME not haivng protection if the item goes astray - if the buyer pays by paypal and the item is just regular post - and she makes a claim - I lose all my money inc;luding the postage fee - isn't that right?

If she pays by bank deposit - then she has no protection - and I'm willing to send by the cheaper postage - if the item goes astray - then that's the buyers risk not mine

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

if you keep the parcel under 500g and send it regular post it will cost you $7.20 and you get a tracking number

if the parcel goes awol you have proof of postage

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@rjm6572 wrote:

if you keep the parcel under 500g and send it regular post it will cost you $7.20 and you get a tracking number

if the parcel goes awol you have proof of postage

The tracking number proves only that you paid for postage, it does not provide proof of postage/lodgement.

Easiest way to get proof of postage/lodgement is to ensure that there is at least one scanned tracking event in the AP Tracking system by handing the parcel over the counter and making sure the post master scans it in there and then.

Parcels tossed into a red street box are notorious for not being scanned until the day of delivery, and a lot can happen to a parcel between lodgement and delivery.

Cover yourself, get maximum protection (Dear Mods, this is not an advertisement for condoms) and lodge your parcels over the counter at the post office and insist on them being scanned right then where you can see it is done.

For letters/large letters, yes, you will need to refgister to get the tracking and proof of lodgement required by PayPal.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

arnuma08
Community Member

im also new to selling my auction just ended and the buyer wants to change paying methods, the original paying method was to pay by paypal but the buyers wants to meet up and pay by cash? can the method be change?

or is it better to stick to pay by paypal and dilever it by regular post.

and also i post diliver postage only.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@arnuma08 wrote:

im also new to selling my auction just ended and the buyer wants to change paying methods, the original paying method was to pay by paypal but the buyers wants to meet up and pay by cash? can the method be change?

or is it better to stick to pay by paypal and dilever it by regular post.

and also i post diliver postage only.

you reeally should have started a new thread not dragged up a very old one, as things do change on eBay all the time.

you need to send the buyer a Revised Invoice with 0.00 postage and then they can pay cash when they meet up and collect, no problem.

when changing the invoice do NOT hit recalculate, just change the postage, click Preview, and then send...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply