cheapest credit card facilities

shedshite
Community Member

I have had enough of PayPal and I am looking at establishing my own C/C facilities. My dealings will all be by phone or email. I expect the $ quantum and quantity of transactions to be relativley low. What is the cheapest effective way of doing this in Australia?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Try St George but I think you will find a merchant facility is not cost effective unless you are doing hundreds of trans every month.

There is a set up fee then a monthly fee and a per trans fee.

Have also heard Commonwealth are competitive.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Personally I would not hand over my cc details to any ebayer. I will only use a third party like paypal if I had to.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Hi Harley-Babes, This is exactly the reaction I want! Then my other option of direct credit to my account  will come into play. By going this way I can offer C/C facilities which complies with Ebay requirements while in fact directing them to direct credit my account and by passing PayPal completely which is my goal. Regards Norm

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I will never trust any Ebay seller with my credit card details, or gift them with money into their bank account. If a seller doesn't offer Paypal I will not buy off them. I think you will find this a common reaction.

Latest reply

Is the OP not referring to selling? (To HBH)

Edit, I get your point now, many buyers may not want to purchase.

And like maranock says, I don't DD as there is no protection.

image host
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

There is an online payment gateway called Eway. I am about to set it up on my website. I think the cost is about 0.20/transaction +1.1% I think you can set it up for offline as well. Directly with a bank is actually quite cheap as well.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Absolutely 100% h b h It would be like waving a Red Flag .

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

If you have your own metchant credit account the only thing you will avoid is having seller protection if you have proof of posting. If a buyer pays using their credit card direct and then they do a chargeback you have to fight it yourself and will need proof of delivery and proof the item is in as described conditin. Unless you are expecting hundreds of payments a week it will aloso work out more expensive than Paypal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

We have been studying eWay as an option for our own website.

They have different plans to suit from the beginner, who may only have a small number of transactions, to larger volume sellers.

The fees are slightly higher than PayPal if you are on one of the low volume plans. High volume sellers will beat PayPal for fees.

But you don't need to set up and pay the separate fees for the merchant bank account as they handle all that for you included in their fee.

The downside of not offering PayPal is that element of mistrust as eluded to in above comments. So you may lose sales to this.

eWay do have a credit card screening facility available as well. This is designed to look for cards that are either illegal/stolen or may have a hsitory of chargebacks before being allowed to be used to make payment. This is supposed to reduce the number of chargebacks you might be subjected to. But I believe this service costs extra on any of their plans.

PayPal are a bit like eBay in this regard. If you don't like trading on ebay you really have no viable alternative to turn to. Likewise PayPal.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply