complaints

I have sold one thing on ebay. It was sold for $200. My money is on hold in paypal for 21 days because I am new. Fair enough. Now ebay charge me $41 seller fees. That is a complete rip off. I should have been CLEARLY informed of this before I put anything up for sale. A breach of the consumer protection code. Nowhere to lodge a complaint. Perhaps the ombudsman?? As soon as my leftover $159 is through I am closing my account. Outdated and expensive way to trade anyhow

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

complaints

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you read about selling on ebay before going ahead and listing any items?

You should have seen all about final value fees that are paid when the item is sold.

No use going to the Ombudsman or any other authority as ebay has done nothing wrong

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

No breach of consumer codes by eBay in your above mentioned scenario.

The fees are clearly shown in eBay but I am guessing like many you didn't read the instructions first.

Selling fees - https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4364&s...

Check in account to see the itemised fees.

image host
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

Ebay fees should be $21.60 so why are they $41?

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

Sorry fees should have been around $23.50

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

Is the OP adding the ebay fees and paypal fees and blaming the whole lot on ebay?

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Is the OP adding the ebay fees and paypal fees and blaming the whole lot on ebay?

PayPal fees on a $200 payment (presuming there was no extra for postage) would be about $5.50  (ball-parking most figures for the sake of ease Smiley Very Happy ), eBay's fees should have been around $22 (again, presuming no postage, since it was available for pick-up), so that would total under $30.

It was showing as $16.35 for postage to me, so if someone had it posted, that might add another couple of dollars to the total, depending on where the buyer was located, so might put it over $30. A subtitle was used (it just said the original price of $250), so let's say $1.50 for that presuming no promotions were used to get it cheaper, and we're looking at maybe around $35, give or take depending on any fees on postage, but that would be between eBay and PayPal together. (It was listed in a single category and there's been no other listings or sales, so no fees for anything like that). 

The only other thing I can think of to bring it over $40 is a postage label being purchased through eBay.  

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

I have done any non store listings for a long time but would there be listing fee if you did not have a promotional offer or somehow listed it with a fee.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

All non-store sellers get 40 free listings per month, minimum.

I suspect an eBay label.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

complaints

If there was an erroneous listing charge somehow, it would have been $3.85 since the price was over $100- as dave said though, that's unlikely as the OP should have had at least 40 free listings as a basic allocation. 

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply