confused about satchel options Australia Post/ebay/click and send etc

chezzy
Community Member

Hi folks

I am thinking it would be a good idea to keep some satchels on hand, most likely 500g and 3kg

I am happy to purchase some prepaid product but would prefer something that allows me to

add extra cover or signature on delivery (can any of these be prepaid in the form of stickers like

the old registered post stickers?)

Basically I prefer to do most of the work at home > less time at Post Office etc

I'd love it if I could avoid the Post Office all together but I don't think this is possible as I don't send

enough to use eparcel and I don't think I can justify paying for a pick up for so few/random items.

Please let me know your thoughts re simplifying the process as well as most economical options.

Am pretty confused re ebay satchels/labels, click and send and prepaid satchels etc

Hope some of you regulars can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

NEW POSTAGE AS AT 2 MARCH 2015

Must buy at least 10 satchels/20 boxes online at a time

With the ebay labels and click and send: you have the option to pay extra for signature on delivery.

and extra for insurance

METHOD

BUY AT PO

(1 at a time)

EBAY ONLINE

CLICK AND SEND

500g parcel

7.20?

500g satchel

7.15 + 15c =       $7.30

3 kg satchel

11.70 + 21c =   $11.91

1 kg box Bx1

7.15 + 1.38 =      $8.53

5 kg satchel

-

3 kg box Bx2

11.70 + 1.75 = $13.45

5 kg box Bx4

15.35 + 2.40 =  $17.75

-

Express 500g

Express 3kg

Express 5 kg

LETTERS

Prepaid 500g

125g

250g

500g

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

So yes at the moment it is a good idea to get some ebay satchels - the cheapest option so far

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Hi Curraone

That is a great comparison, thanks. However I am still confused about which product and at what point I can pay

for the extra cover or signature on delivery. I am not keen to have the satchel yet still have to 'fluff around' re

additional services at the counter.

Can the ebay satchels be used with extra cover/SOD? Or must I opt for the plain 'click and send' ones to have

access to those services?

I have used 'ebay labels' only a handful of times - for flat rate BX4 box.

Can I 'prepay' something like extra cover (basic, up to $100 only) and then lodge in a street box?

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

no, you can do everything online with both ebay labels and click and send, including choosing the extra options.

no fluffing required.Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

no, you can do everything online with both ebay labels and click and send, including choosing the extra options.

no fluffing required.Smiley Wink

Can any/all satchel options (provided they fit in the slot) be lodged in a street box?

I know it is probably best to get them scanned but to be honest I don't have a

real high regard for the scanning/tracking process....

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The problem with putting them straight in the mail box is that you have no tracking if it isn't scanned later in the delivery process which often happens.

The cheapest option is the ebay satchels, the postage cost is added to your ebay bill and it is $7.15 for a 500g ebay satchel, they are one of the few prices that are not increasing.

There is a tick box when you go to print the label allowing you to add SOD and extra cover.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

So yes at the moment it is a good idea to get some ebay satchels - the cheapest option so far

I thought so too, until I noticed today that when I print up the postage slip Aust Post fees come up as 'say' $7.15 eBay charges me $7.35 and then a further .74c when you add the cost of the bag onto that you are paying the same amount as if you got it from the postoffice. The only benefit is you can drop it into a post box anywhere. When you give a discount on postage you are losing even more money.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Where did you get 0.74c for the Satchel?  It costs me 15c.  Buy a Pack of 20 x 500gm Satchels for $3.00.

Also, if using the ebay labels - make sure the option chosen is 'ebay satchel 500gm"  - this should then be charged at $7.15.

Watch for them adding extra for SOD. This option 'randomly' ticks itself  - and adds an extra $2.35.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

The problem with putting them straight in the mail box is that you have no tracking if it isn't scanned later in the delivery process which often happens.

The cheapest option is the ebay satchels, the postage cost is added to your ebay bill and it is $7.15 for a 500g ebay satchel, they are one of the few prices that are not increasing.

There is a tick box when you go to print the label allowing you to add SOD and extra cover.

I understand that but don't find the tracking reliable anyway, items incoming or out-going. Thinking about 'self-insuring' and taking the risk mailing lower value items in street boxes (anytime). Larger items or those I want to document/record more thoroughly can be posted over the counter (1-2 times a week).

Thanks, will order some of the ebay satchels.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply