e bay charging fees on postal charges - if enough people give feedback they may change this practice

Ok so the past two years I have worn the ebay charges on post so if a parcel costs $10 to post to a customer you have to charge the customer another 8% - 10% extra to cover postal commissions ebay charges.

A Customer purchased some fabric from me and the post charged was $46.00 but when I went to pay the post - it was only $27.10 so I wanted to reimburse my customer the different - I went into my account and ebay had charged me $4.42 fees on my $46 postal charge - so in that case the customer has to pay the post of $27 plus the ebay commission of $4.42!!

I rang ebay about this and they inform me they would pass on my feedback of say charging fees on post was an unfair charge - the man on the phone told me if enough people complained about this extra charge they may change it. Wouldn't that be nice!!!

Not only does ebay get a bit of your post but so does Pay Pal - makes post expensive 

So give ebay feedback regarding fees charged on post and hopefully we can have a win

Thanks Lynn

P.S. usually when I overcharge on post I give a refund and wear it - but not this time

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

e bay charging fees on postal charges - if enough people give feedback they may change this practice

i rekon ebay knows the fact sellers know charging fees on postage is #%@*^$%.

but its been discussed over and over and its also quite obvious ebay has no intention of backing away from the policy.

on the 1-10 hottest complaint list fees on postage is near the top.

if we couldnt get them to stop the practice of witholding funds for up to 21 days on new sellers i dont think anyone will get this one changed either.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

It's been done to death over the last 2 years. It's not going to change. All you can really do is refund the buyer then ring eBay and get them to refund the fees for the portion of the refund. PayPal will automatically refund their bit when you refund, but you need to get in touch with eBay to get them to do it.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

and of course the number crunchers in ebays count de money dept know very well most sellers will not bother to chase the bit of fees they owe.

yyyayyy more free money for ebay.

prolly wasnt thought of when the policy was started but hey, why change something that has fringe benifits

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

As well it stopped sellers dodging the system by listing an item for $1 with postage $500.

It's here to stay.

image host
Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

No it hasn't stopped sellers still charging high postage.

I'm still seeing this happen.

An item sells for $1 and postage is $500,the seller wins out because the fees will be $50 so the seller still gets $450 for 

a $1 item.

The above is just an example because a buyer couldn't be that silly to purchase an item with this scenario.

But I am seeing postage around the $30 mark for cheap selling items,so it's still happening but with a lower postage cost.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

But eBay don't care because they still get their fees. And only mug buyers don't add price + postage to get total amount payable. Regardless of how it's split.

OP - this has gone through the ACCC AND the Federal Government. It is legal, because eBay offer a, albeit limited, postage service which is approximately 10% cheaper than the equivalent AP service.

If I was your buyer, I'd be more concerned that you don't seem to have any idea of what postage costs should be. If I cared, as the total quoted price was what I was prepared to spend, and any refund would be a bonus.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I wondered what the OP sold to be unsure of postage costs.

I went and had a look and my eyes swiveled around inside my head.

Dunno how anything gets sold........I couldn't  read for all the butterflies!

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

I've always subscribed to the theory that less is more. Like LESS extraneous (but it looks pretty) time and bandwidth gobbling detail generally equals MORE the buyer is likely to look at the detail, and MORE the buyer is likely to understand what they're buying, and LESS potential issues.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

I should imagine mobile users would move on pretty quickly.

They wouldn't hang around waiting for the store to load

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply