eBay Account restrictions stages

Hi, 

I recently received 03-day account restrictions due to listing policy violation and the email I received says that next time it will be 07 days restrictions if I do the same policy violation.

Can someone explain what stage will eBay does a serious action like permanent suspension of the account? Is that 07-day restrictions last warning or can they suspend an account even before that?

Many thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay Account restrictions stages

eBay can permanently suspend any account, any time, and if it ever happens, for the most part you won't get the chance to talk to someone about it in the hopes of getting your account reinstated. This tends to be for policy violations that eBay deem to be putting buyers and / or the site at risk in some way, but also can be for repeat offenders, particularly if the violations are fairly close together - it might go 3 > 7 > 30 if someone gets a policy violation once in a blue moon. It might go 3 > 7 > suspended if it happens within a couple of months. 

Years ago, sellers could access their policy violation record (which I know because I got one once, for stupidly using "Audrey Hepburn" as a descriptor for a dress, and then a couple of years later I got another one for having the words "contact me" in my listings, meaning "message me through eBay" like every other seller who had that in their listings, but eBay decided this was me trying to organise off-site sales), it was kind of a pre-cursor to performance standards so they affected your eBay seller level, and a violation would be on your record for 12 months - i.e. after a year your seller level would go back to normal (assuming you hadn't accrued any more). 

ebay doesn't include this stuff in seller evaluations anymore, so they no longer give sellers any access to their associated "level" - we just know the plug is there, but the chain attached to it and the hand that pulls it is invisible. 

(In other words, no one can really answer your question, and can therefore only advise you to do everything possible to minimise any chance of getting another one). 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I assume from your question you're intending to violate policy again? What was your policy violation?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Image and item title

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Given that there are reports on these boards of the first restriction being permanent, I suggest you don't commit any policy violations. It's probable that eBay will be keeping an eye on you, at least in the short-term, and they are unlikely to be lenient as you have already been warned.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Surely not breaking the rules again at all is the best suggestion anyone can offer?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

eBay can permanently suspend any account, any time, and if it ever happens, for the most part you won't get the chance to talk to someone about it in the hopes of getting your account reinstated. This tends to be for policy violations that eBay deem to be putting buyers and / or the site at risk in some way, but also can be for repeat offenders, particularly if the violations are fairly close together - it might go 3 > 7 > 30 if someone gets a policy violation once in a blue moon. It might go 3 > 7 > suspended if it happens within a couple of months. 

Years ago, sellers could access their policy violation record (which I know because I got one once, for stupidly using "Audrey Hepburn" as a descriptor for a dress, and then a couple of years later I got another one for having the words "contact me" in my listings, meaning "message me through eBay" like every other seller who had that in their listings, but eBay decided this was me trying to organise off-site sales), it was kind of a pre-cursor to performance standards so they affected your eBay seller level, and a violation would be on your record for 12 months - i.e. after a year your seller level would go back to normal (assuming you hadn't accrued any more). 

ebay doesn't include this stuff in seller evaluations anymore, so they no longer give sellers any access to their associated "level" - we just know the plug is there, but the chain attached to it and the hand that pulls it is invisible. 

(In other words, no one can really answer your question, and can therefore only advise you to do everything possible to minimise any chance of getting another one). 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Just to expand on digital*ghost's advice above (should it not already be obvious) - under no circumstances include in your description the instruction to "Contact me, Audrey Hepburn dress" as such an infraction would surely result in a team of black-clad figures descending by rope from a helicopter hovering above your house in the middle of the night...

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Really? I quite often put contact me or similar, re combined post of more information. I'll have to check my wording. Thanks for the heads up

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I checked this guys feedback no brainier I think. I think he's selling fake airpods.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

Really? I quite often put contact me or similar, re combined post of more information. I'll have to check my wording. Thanks for the heads up

It was a bit of an overzealous reaction when eBay were at the height of their anxiety re: off-site sales. 

They singled out the words "contact me", but it could well have been the context as much as it was the phrase itself - so, for full context,  I can make custom pieces, so I had a line that was something like Custom work is also possible, please contact me for information

I had it there for quite a while before I got pinged, so had even established a decent history of members contacting me and and then me subsequently arranging custom listings directly on eBay, but apparently this meant nothing. Smiley LOL

Here was my take on it, and dealing with eBay CS in general, all the way back in 2013 Smiley LOL

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Listing-violation/m-p/811743#M42085

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply