eBay Buyer Protection

criten
Community Member

Was very surprised to learn that eBay Buyer Protection even exists the other day. Apparently this is offered to buyers who use the ebay.COM website. Visitors to ebay.COM.AU will get PayPal Buyer Protection. There is one substantial difference in terms for dispute resolution - PayPal requires only that proof of shipment is provided, eBay requires that proof of delivery is provided and goes as far as being labeled a "Money Back Guarantee"

eBay Customer Service were more than happy to advise me over the phone that I should always ship with a service where tracking is available.

Am I right in thinking that the Seller Centre and all guides supplied by eBay only reference PayPal Buyer Protection, that there is no clear outline that items sold worldwide will have different terms depending on the localized website the buyer chooses to use, and there is no recommendation on these guides that I should always ship with tracking?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: eBay Buyer Protection - RORT

Paypal should have u protected for 45 days.

It defintiely exists. and now its 180 days.

I had a buyer lodge against me after 5 days.

Even tho I had proof of couriered postage

and tracking on courier website.

It was the customer who cleared it up

once it arrived.

rather then Paypal who should have.

Go figure.

But all good so far tho a little disconcerting.

Currently looking for alternatives to paypal.

I cant run a business on 180 day possibility

of reversal of funds for any reason.

Even withholding funds isnt acceptable with

that time frame.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

austack
Community Member

Just found out the hard way that Ebay's buyer protection is a rort & false advertising.

We bought an item to only receive an immediate message from Ebay stating that it was unfortunate I have purchased an item where they have had to cancel the sellers account due to an open case. To retrieve my lost funds I would have to call Paypal to make a claim which will take 15 days- BUNCH OF THIEVES!!!!!!!!

It was Ebays incompetence to allow buyers to purchase items that did not exist and then just say opps!, better call Paypal if you want your money back.

Total false adverttising led on buy a bunch of inconsiderate THIEVES! They should be held accountable.

Will be checking Australian Consumer Law to see as I feel there is a breach here.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

Just follow the instruction you were given - that is the buyer protection at work.  It was good that ebay cancel accounts in some cases - that is the buyer protection at work - and they let you know so that you don't have to wait to open a case to obtain a refund.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

You don't need to call paypal.

Just open a dispute in paypal in the usual way for Item Not Received.  Put in the dispute that the seller is no longer on ebay...sometimes that speeds up the refund.  Otherwise, ring paypal after 24 hours and they will probably refund while you are on the phone.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

And please stop dragging up old threads. Especially ones that are on the wrong board to start with.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

probably madness removing Click n' Collect if it accounts for 25% of your sales as reported

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

I don't and won't offer Click & Collect.

And this ID sells almost nothing.

If you are replying to somebody else, C&C wasn't even in place when this thread was alive.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

What about if ebay rolled back address changed after being assaulted at MY OLD ADDRESS, and you only discovered the incorrect address after clicking PURCHASE, then attempted to contact the seller, courier and ebay to CHANGE THE FREAKIN ADDRESS. Who's liable there?

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

This thread was started nearly 9 YEARS AGO. Start your own thread please.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@bk-solar wrote:

What about if ebay rolled back address changed after being assaulted at MY OLD ADDRESS, and you only discovered the incorrect address after clicking PURCHASE, then attempted to contact the seller, courier and ebay to CHANGE THE FREAKIN ADDRESS. Who's liable there?

who is liable?   Sadly, I think it would be you.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply