eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Hello,

Earlier today eBay Inc. announced it is aware of unauthorised access to eBay systems that may have exposed some customer information. There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorised access to eBay systems. We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

As a precaution, we will be asking all eBay users (both buyers and sellers) to change their passwords later today. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We know our customers and partners have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Click here for updates and additional information.

Regards,

The eBay Team

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Joanna wrote.

There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorised access to eBay systems.

Gday Joanna...... there is no evidence to the exact whereabouts of flight MH370 either... but I am pretty sure it has disappeared...

Given that I and many others have linked my paypal account to my ebay account to confirm my identity.... and taking into account ebay's all care but no responsibility mentality

...... I have already have changed my passwords re all my ebay accounts, my paypal account and my paymate account.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/account/link-paypal.html

Linking your PayPal account to your eBay account

If you're already PayPal Verified, you can link your PayPal account to your eBay account to confirm your identity.

Identity verification keeps eBay a safe place to buy and sell.? (Keh??)

You can also link your PayPal and eBay accounts to make buying on eBay even easier. When you have linked accounts, and your seller accepts PayPal, you can use eBay's Checkout process to quickly pay for your item and have it shipped to your preferred address โ€“ all with a few clicks of your mouse.

To link your eBay account to your PayPal account:
  1. Click My eBay at the top of most eBay pages.

2. Under the Account section, click the PayPal Account link.

3. Click the Link My PayPal Account button. You'll be asked to log in to PayPal to finish linking your accounts.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

sounds so easy Joanna....what makes you think that the scammers who corrupted your security do not have the cyber

dexterity to give a mouse a few clicks???

When you have linked accounts, and your seller accepts PayPal, you can use eBay's Checkout process to quickly pay for your item and have it shipped to your preferred address โ€“ all with a few clicks of your mouse.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

On the 14-May-14 12:10 I had to change my password? I could not login with my usual password (which I knew well). Hope my details aren't being broadcasted all over the globe. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

why are you always the last to inform me that your security (and therefore my personal details) has been breached????

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-05-21/ebay-users-urged-to-change-passwords-after-hacking/

It would appear to me that the importance of keeping your "brand name" free of "hacker taint" overrides your commitment to me as a member to keep my details private and to inform me first re security breaches rather than the pressure of media reports forcing your hand to fess up............

I think you knew weeks ago that there was a problem.....

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I think you are talking to Joanna colic2bullsgirlore ?

I have no affiliation with eBay other than being a buyer. Man LOL

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

SOOOO TRUE !!!! VERY AMATEURISH (but RICH...) eBay... Nice ride on eBay, enjoying it?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Page not available

"Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon. In the meantime, please be assured that no activity can occur on your account until your password is reset."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ebay-tells-users-change-passwords-hack-attack/story?id=23809703

Hackers broke into the database "between late February and early March," but eBay didn't detect a problem with employee log-in credentials -- which the hackers had hijacked -- until about two weeks ago, the statement said.

http://www.ebayinc.com/in_the_news/story/faq-ebay-password-change

What happened?

Our company recently discovered a cyberattack that comprised a small number of employee log in credentials, allowing unauthorized access to eBayโ€™s corporate network.  As a result, a database containing encrypted password and other non-financial data was compromised.  There is no evidence of the compromise affecting accounts for Paypal users, and no evidence of any unauthorized access to personal, financial or credit card information, which is stored separately in encrypted formats.  The company is asking all eBay users to change their passwords

What customer information was accessed?

The attack resulted in unauthorized access to a database of eBay users that included:

ยท       Customer name

ยท       Encrypted password

ยท       Email address

ยท       Physical address

ยท       Phone number

ยท       Date of birth

When did eBay discover this issue?

The company discovered that unauthorized access to our corporate network had occurred earlier in May. We immediately began working with security experts and law enforcement to aggressively investigate the matter.

If my information has been compromised, what are the risks to me?

We have no evidence that any customer financial or credit information was involved. Likewise, the file did not contain social security, taxpayer identification or national identification information.

The information that has been accessed is often publically available. Thus, the primary risk is increased exposure to consumer scams.

Following a cyberattack of this nature, it is common that fraudsters will try to exploit well-known brand names like eBay in an effort to obtain personal information.

They attempt this fraudulent activity through phishing emails, texts, phone calls and fake websites.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Hi, we had a phone call from bank 2 days ago, our credit card had been stolen online, they say it started around 2 weeks ago,tickets brought to some strange country to books brought in a small book shop suburbs away from us, thousands and thousands spent, i was just saying to husband yesterday that i have only really used it on paypal, so could not figure it out, as i was so sure this could not happen,will find out more when bank sends us details. Now with this happening Im thinking this could be connected, hopefully I am wrong but ive changed everything just in case and Id advise you to do the same, cheers.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Even without the password, they got enough details to socially engineer a hack.

For example, they can call up Paypal and pretend to be the customer of the identification, grab the last few digits of a credit card with one of the digits not told and then use it to call GoDaddy and guess the missing digit by recalling if you fail until you get it right.

Now the user have full access to the customers website and can cause alot of damage.

I believe this hack was done to someone who had the Twitter account (named "N")

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply