eBay Managed Payments vs PayPal ??? * Forced managed payments

cc-192
Community Member

I'm going to ignore the small % cost differences when comparing.

For decades buyers and sellers have been able to buy and sell items domestically using Aus. bank accounts to send and receive payments for eBay items.
The cost of doing so has always been ZERO. Just as most basic bank transfers between Aus. banks has no charge.
So eBay have now forced themselves into the middle of these normal transfers , and claim now they "manage" it.
I can see they have managed to charge % for what has always been a free transfer, I see that they are guaranteeing their earlier payment of fees, and I can also see they are managing to delay $ transfer times between buyer and seller...so what exactly is the benefit to buyers and sellers ?
Specifically what would be the benefits of forced eBay managed payments for buyer and seller over that which the prior option of  having the choice between bank transfer and/or PayPal payment ?

I'm no staunch advocate for either eBay or PayPal but I am noting people getting bogged down in the fee percentage comparisons rather than the services these fees are actually claimed to be charged for.

PayPal has always charged fees for the service of most often instant money transfers and does function as a stand alone account for members,  from which they can use funds to purchase other goods - whether those goods on eBay or elsewhere.
Paypal has offered transfer services similar to that of Western Union International Money Transfer for those who send moneys or gifts to family members overseas for example, they handle currency conversions, and also offer buyer and seller assurances that many opt for given those guarantees.

The fees PayPal have charged then could be considered in line with a company and fee structure that offers a unique package of services to its members.

For me then eBay Managed Payments vs PayPal charges is comparing apples to oranges.

I am in fact a little perplexed as how eBay have gotten away with it to this point, ie stepping in the middle of standard Aus. bank to Aus. bank money transfers as to glean a % and also slow the transfer time.

I am so puzzled by this I will be contacting appropriate government regulatory departments to see if my speculative curiosity can be appeased.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: eBay Managed Payments vs PayPal ??? * Forced managed payments

Let us know what the appropriate government regulatory departments say

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

No problem

Probably take some time this morning given not clear cut whether it will fall under jurisdiction of afca or fair trading, and given that I am thinking those I speak with may also be unsure.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

eBay's slide of hand illusion is in fact visible within their first explanatory paragraph :

With managed payments, eBay manages the end-to-end payments process. Your buyers can now pay with more convenient payment methods, and you'll receive the money in your bank account.

end-to-end ?      ...what is more end-to end to the original Aus. bank account transfer directly to another Aus. bank account
more convenient ?  ...now slower and more costly

What was a single, simple and free bank transfer between a buyer and a seller has been forcibly changed into what I assume is two bank transfers....one from buyer to eBay and a second from eBay to seller.

This is obviously slower, which for most would be considered less convenient, and although it doesn't have to be it is more expensive due to eBay stepping in the middle and charging a percentage for their "managed services"

Is this not obvious ?

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

sorry for typo...sleight of hand....

Probably falls under the definition of '' lies " more than a trick though.

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

Given your interest katistrophik

Ongoing trends and complaints to these departments are of particular interest and cause action, so I'll say this first should others feel inclined to act.

NSW Fair Trading welcomed lodgement of formal complaint and sighted that the fact that eBay imposed restrictions on members should they not sign up for eBay managed payments was of concern and should also be discussed with ACCC in specification relation to Restriction of Trade laws.

ACCC have noted complaint and conveyed the importance of how the trends of such complaints bring about intervention.

ASICS, upon detailed description of situation , advised formal complaint to be forwarded.

Reserve Bank of Australia are of particular interest as they control the standards by which fees such as this are structured. They will be sending written reply once detailed advice is reviewed.

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

It will probably take them all  6 months just to tell you, that ebay is complying with AML/CTF legislation.

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

🙂
maybe...
let's see...email sent today.

maybe I'll change the world  ~insert villains laugh~

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

Why dont you read the legislation, to figure out what managed payments is about

Message 9 of 42