eBay Plus Not Amused at All

As a seller. One of our hair bow ribbons sold. Great we thought. But, eBay listed it under eBay Plus. Hence it sold. We had to pay for express postage and lost money. We contacted ebay and asked why they listed our item with eBay Plus. Was told as it qualified for eBay Plus listing, it was automatically upgraded. If we did not wish this to happen again, we need to opt out of eBay Plus via email to eBay. We were not aware that eBay would do this without consultation with us. We find that this experience was a great way to lose money fast. Now we know better.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's hardly new. And the rebate ebay give is, I believe, based on parcel rates. The easiest way is to not qualify.

Don't have 1-day handling, or don't have an express option (for ribbons?!?!?), or don't offer COM returns.

Not having any of those will mean you are not eligible for Plus.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It's hardly new. And the rebate ebay give is, I believe, based on parcel rates. The easiest way is to not qualify.

Don't have 1-day handling, or don't have an express option (for ribbons?!?!?), or don't offer COM returns.

Not having any of those will mean you are not eligible for Plus.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I have never been a fan of any company or organisation that opts in without consent and never will be.

I find it downright cheeky and disrespectful.

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Extend your handling time to 3 days and you'll no longer qualify for ebay plus. Still post within 24 hours if that's your preference. Buyers love it when they see items arriving days before the first estimate date. 

And, for goodness sakes, increase some of your prices. I don't know how you're making any money at all. A headband for $5.95 with free postage? By the time you buy it, add on the postage, take the time to list it, pay the ebay fees when they sell, you are going to be well and truly in the red.

Then your 20 pairs of readers for $29.95 and free postage. Absolutely impossible to make anything resembling a profit, let alone just getting your money back. Unless you are buying them for under 10c a pair, you are losing truck loads of money on them.

Don't try and compete with the Chinese, because you can't. Put a decent amount on your items and they will still sell, because a lot of Aussies are happy to pay extra to buy it locally.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

It is the way a seller lists an item, that makes it available for ebay plus benefits, you need to make sure your listings do not meet at least 1 ebay plus requirement.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

It is the way a seller lists an item, that makes it available for ebay plus benefits, you need to make sure your listings do not meet at least 1 ebay plus requirement.

I think that is great advice and worth knowing (if you're a seller) but I do agree with kopenhagen that it is really rude of ebay to list something as ebay plus without the seller opting in. It's not an 'upgrade' if a seller is taken by surprise and loses money on it.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

For the  OP  I take it you are aware that you still have some items listed as ebay plus items.

They can be readily identified under your active listings, they have a big ebay plus logo, alternatively you can check the ebay plus box  to the left hand side of your store.  Dont know if you intend to offer ebay plus benefits for these items or not.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Opting out of eBay Plus

An eBay Plus badge on your listing indicates to all buyers that you deliver a great shopping experience, including free delivery and accepting returns. For more information on how eBay Plus helps you stand out and the benefits for sellers, we encourage you to read our Seller Centre article on eBay Plus.

To opt out specific listings, simply adjust your postage or returns options so that the listing doesn't meet our criteria for an eBay Plus badge.

If you do not wish to have any of your listings included in eBay Plus, please email PlusOptOut@ebay.com to let us know.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply