eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

Last week eBay started including the buyer's shipping address in their "Sale confirmed:..." emails.

Today I have made a sale, and the shipping address in the eBay email is different to the shipping address given in the PayPal payment confirmation! What fun!

Obviously I'll check with the buyer and alert eBay to the discrepency, but just wanted to make this issue known so others can avoid a potential problem.

...And while typing this, the buyer has responded to confirm that it is the address provided by PayPal that is correct, and that the one displayed in eBay's email is a previous address from 7 years ago. So it looks like eBay's system can potentially source the incorrect address from their records.

When I go to create the shipping label through eBay, however, the correct address (i.e. the PayPal sourced one) is being displayed.

Go figure.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

This is the content of the conversation
12:22:23 UTC Jed
I just want to let you know that we currently have a technical issue about this.
12:22:45 UTC bwsozau
The problem right now is that I realized that after I posted the item.
12:23:07 UTC Jed
Our technical team is already fixing this issue as soon as possible. There have been a lot of sellers affected with this issue.
12:23:09 UTC bwsozau
Therefore, I'm not sure if I post to the right address.
12:25:06 UTC Jed
I understand. We are also coordinating with Australia Post to cancel those shipment. At the same time, it would also be best to contact your nearest post office to make sure that your shipment gets cancelled.
12:26:21 UTC Jed
I will include your account to the affected members so that you will be prioritised.
Message 51 of 93
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The prosecution rests, your honor. 

And what is this smarty comment meant to mean?

It means your dismissal of the issue and the thread's relevance has not been particularly useful.

Message 52 of 93
Latest reply

@pokeclubtcg wrote:
This is the content of the conversation

I'd try jumping back onto the chat, and politely asking if the CS agent would be able to send a message to the buyer on your behalf, just explaining that you posted to the address as isntructed in the eBay sales confirmation email, and that a technical issue on eBay's end meant they gave you the wrong address.  Hopefully it will deflect the blame away from you in the buyer's eyes.

You should be able to get them to send such a message - they've done it for me on several occasions for different issues. If you get a stubborn or unhelpful CS agent, just try again with a different one.

Secondly, tell them Aus. Post have quoted you $28 to stop the shipment, and as you were informed by another rep this morning that eBay are taking responsibility for the issue, you are wondering how ebay will be reimbursing you the $28 fee if you do cancel the shipment?

If they're not willing to give a straight answer on that, ask them to also include in the email to your buyer that they've eBay has elected *not* to cancel the shipment, but instead are happy to wait for the item to be returned to you for resending.

Basically, you want eBay to admit to the error, and if they're not going to cough up to fix it, admit that to the buyer as well.

I would be surprised though if you can't get them to compromise and help you out. Just be polite, but firm - you have written evidence of them admitting to the error - refernce them back to that conversation if needed.

Message 53 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It means your dismissal of the issue and the thread's relevance has not been particularly useful.

I did not dismiss the issue.....sellers who have read and followed the paypal terms over the years know not to send to any address other than the paypal address.

What happens when managed payments is fully implemented....then it may be a problem but not yet.

Message 54 of 93
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I did not dismiss the issue.....sellers who have read and followed the paypal terms over the years know not to send to any address other than the paypal address.

What happens when managed payments is fully implemented....then it may be a problem but not yet.

You did dismiss it, 

"I am at a loss as to why this is even the topic of a thread, let alone a thread that has gone on so long."

and it is already a problem, as evidenced by the other seller who has posted an item off to the wrong address.

Message 55 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@danieh_6 wrote:
I have a better idea, Stop reading emails and refer to the eBay order details, PayPal or eBay API if you have one. If you actually refer to the eBay site or PayPal this shouldn't be an issue & I don't understand why it has dragged out so long.

eBay has a record of sending out wrong emails, I just take a look at the managed payments email.

For many sellers, emails are the first notification they receive of a sale - you shouldn't actually have to dig into the website or an API to get the correct postal information.

Maybe use eBay and PayPal how its meant to be used then you won't have a issue.

If your selling and dispatch process is unaffected, good for you, but why are you even bothering to comment if it's just to complain about the topic?

No, I'm complaining about you not being able to take initiative. How is your dispatch process effected? Ebay only recently added this email and if you no longer want to long into eBay to send orders thats fine. But why are you complaining about it when you get an EMAIL from PayPal anyway that you can check.

As tippy toes said which is 100% correct "If you send to the address in the email and the buyer has opted to send it to a different address in PayPal, you have zero seller protection, and probably an unhappy buyer. "

I don't see why this is a massive issue.

Message 56 of 93
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

For many sellers, emails are the first notification they receive of a sale - you shouldn't actually have to dig into the website or an API to get the correct postal information.

One would expect that if you sell something, and eBay emails you with the instructions to post to X address, doing so would fall under the definition of using eBay "how its[sic] meant to be used".

If your selling and dispatch process is unaffected, good for you, but why are you even bothering to comment if it's just to complain about the topic?

No, I'm complaining about you not being able to take initiative. How is your dispatch process effected? Ebay only recently added this email and if you no longer want to long into eBay to send orders thats fine. But why are you complaining about it when you get an EMAIL from PayPal anyway that you can check.

Not taken the initiative? Smiley LOL  No, I've only double checked the addresses of all my sales for the past fortnight, jumped on to eBay chat to see what they have to say about the incorrect addresses, and come on here to alert others of the problem. Did you even read through the thread? Do you even know what 'initiative' means? Smiley LOL

As tippy toes said which is 100% correct "If you send to the address in the email and the buyer has opted to send it to a different address in PayPal, you have zero seller protection, and probably an unhappy buyer. "

Pure speculation on yours and Tippy's part, and my own speculation is that you would be proven wrong regarding seller protection.

No one has said it's a "massive issue", but it definitely has potential to cause problems, and already has for at least one seller on here.

Thanks for your input, though - "interesting" as always.

Message 57 of 93
Latest reply

It is NOT speculation.....currently if you do not send to the paypal address as designated by the buyer you have zero seller protection.

Believe it or not.....not my problem.

Message 58 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@danieh_6 wrote:

One would expect that if you sell something, and eBay emails you with the instructions to post to X address, doing so would fall under the definition of using eBay "how its[sic] meant to be used".

Not taken the initiative? Smiley LOL  No, I've only double checked the addresses of all my sales for the past fortnight, jumped on to eBay chat to see what they have to say about the incorrect addresses, and come on here to alert others of the problem. Did you even read through the thread? Do you even know what 'initiative' means? Smiley LOL

Pure speculation on yours and Tippy's part, and my own speculation is that you would be proven wrong regarding seller protection.

No one has said it's a "massive issue", but it definitely has potential to cause problems, and already has for at least one seller on here.

Thanks for your input, though - "interesting" as always.

Firstly you clearly have no idea how seller protection works. If the address is incorrect as per the "eBay email" and you ship to a buyer whos old address is in WA as per email but the buyer has actually moved to NSW as per "PayPal/PayPal email/ ebay order details"  If a buyer files a dispute, that is not evidence and you will lose the case.

My other point was about you not being able to take intiative again, you hinted at the fact "your selling and dispatch process is affected" So I made the point you can always check the paypal email. Any good seller would do this anyway and all sellers should be logging into ebay to manage their orders. Not via emails. Secondly

"Did you even read through the thread" I think you should be asking yourself that. Because you are making something out to be an a massive issue when its really not. Multiple people have provided solutions, You reported it to ebay, You've informed sellers Good work! You can't fix it yourself, Move on.

Message 59 of 93
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

Firstly you clearly have no idea how seller protection works. If the address is incorrect as per the "eBay email" and you ship to a buyer whos old address is in WA as per email but the buyer has actually moved to NSW as per "PayPal/PayPal email/ ebay order details"  If a buyer files a dispute, that is not evidence and you will lose the case.

I assure you I do. And it'd be a fun exchange with eBay where they tried to claim "you're not covered by seller protection because you posted the item to the address we told you to". Smiley Very Happy

My other point was about you not being able to take intiative again, you hinted at the fact "your selling and dispatch process is affected" So I made the point you can always check the paypal email. Any good seller would do this anyway and all sellers should be logging into ebay to manage their orders. Not via emails. Secondly

Again, I can only suggest you look up the definition of the word 'initiative'. You obviously have a narrow view of what selling looks like if you think yours is the only way to do it.

"Did you even read through the thread" I think you should be asking yourself that. Because you are making something out to be an a massive issue when its really not. Multiple people have provided solutions, You reported it to ebay, You've informed sellers Good work! You can't fix it yourself, Move on.

Again, I see it differently. You are welcome to take your own advice, however.

Message 60 of 93
Latest reply