eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

Last week eBay started including the buyer's shipping address in their "Sale confirmed:..." emails.

Today I have made a sale, and the shipping address in the eBay email is different to the shipping address given in the PayPal payment confirmation! What fun!

Obviously I'll check with the buyer and alert eBay to the discrepency, but just wanted to make this issue known so others can avoid a potential problem.

...And while typing this, the buyer has responded to confirm that it is the address provided by PayPal that is correct, and that the one displayed in eBay's email is a previous address from 7 years ago. So it looks like eBay's system can potentially source the incorrect address from their records.

When I go to create the shipping label through eBay, however, the correct address (i.e. the PayPal sourced one) is being displayed.

Go figure.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Further to the above, after several more orders all with correct addresses showing in both respective emails, I reckon this is sorted.

View solution in original post

Message 90 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Ok it's definitely an issue - I've just checked through my sales from last week and have two other orders where eBay and PayPal are providing different shipping addresses in their respective emails.

Can anyone else confirm they've had the same thing?

Message 2 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

...And while typing this, the buyer has responded to confirm that it is the address provided by PayPal that is correct, and that the one displayed in eBay's email is a previous address from 7 years ago. So it looks like eBay's system can potentially source the incorrect address from their records.

Now that could make life really interesting when Managed Payments come in and Paypal's out of the loop..............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

Ok it's definitely an issue - I've just checked through my sales from last week and have two other orders where eBay and PayPal are providing different shipping addresses in their respective emails.

Can anyone else confirm they've had the same thing?

Yes, but as was the case when eBay previously gave us addresses in the sale notification, the address given at that time is the buyer's registered address. The address to use is the one the buyer supplies when they pay. Which is in the order details.

Message 4 of 93
Latest reply

Oooh yeah!

I've just reported the issue to eBay now via chat - they're taking it pretty seriously it seems.

Message 5 of 93
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Yes, but as was the case when eBay previously gave us addresses in the sale notification, the address given at that time is the buyer's registered address. The address to use is the one the buyer supplies when they pay. Which is in the order details.

Which is why it's unfortunate eBay's email precedes it with,

Postage details

Send to:

XXXXXXXX

Message 6 of 93
Latest reply

It is unfortunate.

It could well catch a few of the unwary out.

In the small percentage of cases where the details are different.

Message 7 of 93
Latest reply

It might be a bigger percentage than you think - I've made 9 sales in the past week, so 1/3 had incorrect details shown. Obviously not representative, but could be indicative.

Message 8 of 93
Latest reply

This could be an issue that is happening now due to updates being made to prepare for managed payments taking effect before they really should.

By which I mean, they've updated the item sold email in anticipation for how they will be when a seller is on managed payments, because the item sold / payment email could be one and the same for sellers who have been switched (they are on the other sites I've mentioned), but in typical fashion they have not taken in to consideration the conflicting message they are sending to sellers in the mean time. 

The item sold email always used to contain the buyer's registered address, but it didn't specifically say "send to" before - this will only work in the manner above if buying and paying can't be done as individual actions, so this would also have to mean sellers on managed payments won't be able to have buyers confirm purchases separately, then check out later (this may also mean sellers who have been selected for early adoption may be those who either do free post, or have automatic postage discounts already set up? I'd be interested to know of those that got the invite, what kind of postage settings you might have). 

Message 9 of 93
Latest reply

All my listings are free postage.

Message 10 of 93
Latest reply