eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

Last week eBay started including the buyer's shipping address in their "Sale confirmed:..." emails.

Today I have made a sale, and the shipping address in the eBay email is different to the shipping address given in the PayPal payment confirmation! What fun!

Obviously I'll check with the buyer and alert eBay to the discrepency, but just wanted to make this issue known so others can avoid a potential problem.

...And while typing this, the buyer has responded to confirm that it is the address provided by PayPal that is correct, and that the one displayed in eBay's email is a previous address from 7 years ago. So it looks like eBay's system can potentially source the incorrect address from their records.

When I go to create the shipping label through eBay, however, the correct address (i.e. the PayPal sourced one) is being displayed.

Go figure.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: eBay & PayPal advising different shipping addresses for a buyer.!

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It is NOT speculation.....currently if you do not send to the paypal address as designated by the buyer you have zero seller protection.

Believe it or not.....not my problem.

Again, I disagree, but you are welcome to your opinion. Likewise, your belief is not my problem, lyndal.

Message 61 of 93
Latest reply

timid

Just sneaking in to clarify something about eBay's current emails.

There are two different versions being sent, one for when the buyer has not yet paid, and one for when they have - this, at the very least, has the potential to create a distinct issue at this point in time, because they both contain post-sale "instruction". 

The first type has this, and does not contain a buyer address at all:

sold email 1.PNG

The second type of email looks like this, which is sent when the buyer has paid, and contains the instructions to ship to the supplied address, with that supplied address being within the email. 

sold email 2.PNG

For those that have always been aware that an item sold email may not contain the delivery address, and already have systems in place that work around that issue, great - this thread probably isn't for you and / or your benefit.

Message 62 of 93
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

timid

Just sneaking in to clarify something about eBay's current emails.

There are two different versions being sent, one for when the buyer has not yet paid, and one for when they have - this, at the very least, has the potential to create a distinct issue at this point in time, because they both contain post-sale "instruction". 

The first type has this, and does not contain a buyer address at all:

sold email 1.PNG

The second type of email looks like this, which is sent when the buyer has paid, and contains the instructions to ship to the supplied address, with that supplied address being within the email. 

sold email 2.PNG

For those that have always been aware that an item sold email may not contain the delivery address, and already have systems in place that work around that issue, great - this thread probably isn't for you and / or your benefit.

Sorry digi, there is a 3rd.

addressebayforum.png

Message 63 of 93
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

Sorry digi, there is a 3rd.

Why am I not surprised ebay would send out such an email - being vague, inconsistent and contradictory is probably the only way they can maintain that sense of wonder they had in the early days Smiley LOL

I must admit it works, I am forever wondering just WTH they are doing, lol. 

Message 64 of 93
Latest reply

This looks like a bumblebath, a mishmash, a piece of nonsense that doesn't even have its first, second and fifth lines rhyming.

Message 65 of 93
Latest reply

I have recently experienced 3 cases where there is a discrepancy between the (correct) address in the paypal email, and the (incorrect) address in trhe ebay email.

Despite the abovementioned ebay CS instructions, in each case the address shown in the Order Details is the incorrect ebay address, not the correct paypal address as supplied by the buyer at the time of ordering.

So it appears obvious that

- the error is occurring because the (prospective) ebay MP program is systematically replacing the paypal addresses on orders with its own address for the buyer, regardless of what the buyer has specified in his paypal order

- once sellers under MP cease getting the paypal emails, they will have absolutely no idea whether the address to which ebay instructs us to post is correct or not, and no way of checking except to ask each and every buyer to confirm their address

- if ebay's address is incorrect, and as a result an untracked letter (virtually 99.9% of my sales) disappears into the void, there is no way we can prove that we have complied with ebay's incorrect instructions

- I have no doubt whatever that the seller will be the one bearing the loss.

Message 66 of 93
Latest reply

Hey, I just talked to another staff and I guess this might be the solution.

08:51:12 UTC Maria Fe Christy
Our Technical Team in Sydney is well aware and fixing the issue.I am sure they are trying to communicate with Auspost.. I will include your account information with other affected members
08:51:16 UTC Maria Fe Christy
No worries.
08:51:24 UTC Maria Fe Christy
We will take care of the fees for you.
08:51:37 UTC Maria Fe Christy
Onece you receive your next monthly invoice
08:51:55 UTC Maria Fe Christy
Please contact us and provide our referrence #
08:52:13 UTC Maria Fe Christy
I will also place a niote on the account to process $30.00 credit
Message 67 of 93
Latest reply

Nice, they've come to the party. Did they offer to pay the fee or did you have to ask them to?

Message 68 of 93
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

I have recently experienced 3 cases where there is a discrepancy between the (correct) address in the paypal email, and the (incorrect) address in trhe ebay email.

Despite the abovementioned ebay CS instructions, in each case the address shown in the Order Details is the incorrect ebay address, not the correct paypal address as supplied by the buyer at the time of ordering.

So it appears obvious that

- the error is occurring because the (prospective) ebay MP program is systematically replacing the paypal addresses on orders with its own address for the buyer, regardless of what the buyer has specified in his paypal order

- once sellers under MP cease getting the paypal emails, they will have absolutely no idea whether the address to which ebay instructs us to post is correct or not, and no way of checking except to ask each and every buyer to confirm their address

- if ebay's address is incorrect, and as a result an untracked letter (virtually 99.9% of my sales) disappears into the void, there is no way we can prove that we have complied with ebay's incorrect instructions

- I have no doubt whatever that the seller will be the one bearing the loss.

That's interesting - for all the orders where I've been emailed conflicting addresses by eBay and PayPal, the address displayed in 'order details' has been the correct one, i.e. the same as that specified in PayPal's email.

It is only in eBay's 'Sale confirmed...item paid for' email where I have seen the incorrect address displayed. Everywhere else — PayPal email, order details via the item listing, order details via the Seller Hub, and order details as displayed in the eBay app on my smart phone — the correct address has been shown.

So maybe there's no hard and fast rule about where to derive the correct address from, other than PayPal (while we still can).

I've had another sale tonight where the same issue has occurred — it's actually the correct address this time, but worded differently — so it's still not resolved. Managed Payments' launch tomrrow could be interesting.

Message 69 of 93
Latest reply

I told her I sent a request to Aus Post to cancel the shipment as eBay told me to do so and I might be charged because of that. She told me to open a dispute for the cancellation fee when I asked her whether eBay will pay that cancellation fee. Then I asked what if Aus Post doesn't know about eBay's technical issue and she added a 30AUD deposit note to my account. So I guess I asked them to do that lol.

Message 70 of 93
Latest reply