eBay combining the same items

It seems ebay started combining the same items from different sellers into one and showing only one in search result saying that there are more than one.

What surprises me is that eBay does not show a buyer the cheapest one and instead shows the most expensive one.

For example I am looking for some specific product and I know there are at least two brand new available in Australia. One costs 1199 and another costs 1299. They are exactly the same just one seller is too greedy selling it over RRP.

And guess what, eBay picks up the most expensive for $1299 one and shows it in search result. It does say that there are "3 new & pre-owned from AU $1,199.00" but it is in a small text and I am sure a lot of buyers won't notice it at all.

As a result a buyer gets the one they can see and eBay is reacher because a seller with more expensive one pays more in fees.

And that's if you need a brand new as there is also a used one available for $890 which eBay does not show.

How convenient for eBay to take care of their buyers exactly this way.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: eBay combining the same items

I am getting shown the cheapest, as that's what I have my searches set to. Which, in my category, is invariably a $7.98 parcel sized book from a Pommy dropshipper.

One check I did, I couldn't even get my own listing to display unless I sorted by 'closest'. Hardly conducive to a good buying experience, or allowing people to make their own choices from a range THEY select. Or Australian sellers competing against cheap foreigners even having a chance of selling anything.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You are lucky then as I cannot even see the item for less than $900(used once) I sent a message about to its seller recently. Its is on auction with no bids. The only thing that works now in order to show them all is to choose Worldwide as an item location. In this case ebay stops combining and show all items.

I have forgotten to mention that there is plenty of offers from the same item from overseas for close to $1000 brand new.

I feel sorry for any Australian buyer with less experience than me because this way they seemed be forced to buy the one that is most expensive because they won't see anything else with eBay default search settings.
Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

After you have the item displayed when you have searched for it, there is a little box under the blue search box titled "include description".  If you tick the box all the items come up.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I mustn't be holding my tongue right.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

The new search results are terrible. Bad news for buyers and sellers.

eBay showing me "Our pick" isn't what I want to see. I want to see all the results so that I can choose myself.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I too am concerned about the changes eBay is making. This evening my listings disappeared. When I searched for my items to update them, I was unable to find them. Instead I found identical listings from other sellers, who were selling the same items for a much higher price. These sellers are evidently favoured sellers, despite the higher asking price. As a buyer as well as a seller, I have an issue with this. I couldn't even find my item when I clicked on the insignificant little link under the picked listing. If my listings are not going to appear so that they can be seen by potential buyers, there is no purpose in continuing to sell on eBay. It is starting to look like Amazon. If buyers and sellers want an Amazon experience, they'll go to Amazon, not eBay. eBay has always been unique, and it's a pity that it doesn't capitalise on its uniqueness.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply