eBay estimated delivery dates

Where does eBay get its so called estimated delivery dates?

I've just moved to a remote isolated community which is a 150km drive from the nearest town with normal mail delivery in/out. Mail only comes and goes Tuesday and Friday. I'm concerned that when I start selling again I may receive more than the average "slow to post" ratings or defects. I will of course detail my location in the listings but it does make it hard when buyers leave feedback and it asks if it arrived by a predetermined date.

My previous location was also isolated but not to the same extent and it used to tell me that parcels from interstate were 2-4 days delivery estimate when the reality was more like 7-8 days. Even the average non priority letter is 4 days now. I never left adverse feedback for delivery times as I knew it was my location that caused any delays but should I be concerned as a seller?
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yes, you probably should be concerned.

Buyers are increasingly impatient. We seem to be in a buy now/ have now society and they generally have no idea of the postage/ mail systems.

You may need to send everything EXPRESS just to get normal delivery times.........

I'm country WA, but not remote, and feel the pressure as most of my customers are eastern states based.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Just increase your handling time to 4 or 5 days, ebay say you will not be 'as visible' unless you have one day handling and free post but most sellers who post on the boards and have increased their handling time say it has made no difference to their sales.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I think a lot of buyers (at least I do) search by the keyword for what they want. I tend to sell some quirky stuff so hopefully shouldn't affect it from that side. Given that I'm 2000km by road from Brisbane and outside the express network it probably won't gain me much. Plus I can't justify adding the extra cost to the item.

I guess if I try to make things transparent when I lost it should go a long way. Communication seems to be the key.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

List not lost!
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I agree with PJ. I have copped several defects for slow postage recently and are pushing my handling time from two days to five days in response. I add a note to the listings saying I usually mail within two business days of payment clearing. It hasnt affected sales yet. I also give "regular post" as my mail option but send many items express.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

On the fb group there's a highly regarded ex-staffer who has stated that ebay do not penalise sellers in Search Results for increased handling time.  Also, within the new policy of late delivery 'defects' where if you have too many, ebay will work with you to consider your handling times - ie increase them*.  So it seems to be more about managing customers' expectations. 

*Note I'm not discussing browsers.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Where does eBay get its so called estimated delivery dates?

I've just moved to a remote isolated community which is a 150km drive from the nearest town with normal mail delivery in/out. Mail only comes and goes Tuesday and Friday. I'm concerned that when I start selling again I may receive more than the average "slow to post" ratings or defects. I will of course detail my location in the listings but it does make it hard when buyers leave feedback and it asks if it arrived by a predetermined date.

My previous location was also isolated but not to the same extent and it used to tell me that parcels from interstate were 2-4 days delivery estimate when the reality was more like 7-8 days. Even the average non priority letter is 4 days now. I never left adverse feedback for delivery times as I knew it was my location that caused any delays but should I be concerned as a seller?

You may want to check that your items all have correct location set in the item description. I had the sane problem and found out after moving interstate that same items still had a wrong location set even after I did a bulk update for all of them.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
List not lost!

no need for a correction post as you have around 5 minutes to edit a post.  Just hover over the "options" link for your post and scroll down to edit.  Then make your correction and hit "post"

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Can't on a phone by the looks of it.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply